Anybody else here pop for the Gibby 60s Tribute SG yet? I ordered this one yesterday

GAS Man

• Members

I need this like I need another hole in my head (retarded GAS'n mofo that I am who already owns an SG Classic :freak:) but I thought the grain matching was pretty good on this one and I was drawn by the thin natural finish and small pg. I guess the necks are slimmer on these from some user reviews I've read.

Thoughts?

108010580-body-l.jpg

108010580-front-l.jpg

On the back you can see some grain that doesn't match too well

108010580-detail6-l.jpg

But it seems to be mostly hidden behind the pickguard if it came through to the front.

108010580-detail3-l.jpg

Should be here next Wednesday.

108010580-detail1-l.jpg

• Members

I had one of those when they first came out (natural color), had horrendous quality issues with the finish on the front and back. I did a long post with pix of it. Promptly sent it back. Was a shame, played and sounded great but I just couldn't spring that kind of bread on something with factory dents, globs of clearcoat, and dirt under the finish. I opted for a black one instead, hoping to not have those issues. And since then - the ebony beast has become my no 1! These things play and sound amazing. It sounds better than the SG Classic I used to have.

High quality video of me playing it at a gig a couple of weeks ago (it squealed like a pig though, we were playing REALLY, REALLY loud) - a dimed 100 watt Orange full stack (side by side cabs!).

• Members
I had one of those when they first came out (natural color), had horrendous quality issues with the finish on the front and back. I did a long post with pix of it. Promptly sent it back. Was a shame, played and sounded great but I just couldn't spring that kind of bread on something with factory dents, globs of clearcoat, and dirt under the finish. I opted for a black one instead, hoping to not have those issues. And since then - the ebony beast has become my no 1! These things play and sound amazing. It sounds better than the SG Classic I used to have.

Thanks for posting. Pretty much everything you said up there is coming back to me. Hell, at 54 now, I don't need no drugs, everything is now like, "hey wow, I remember that". :D

But yeah. I do remember your thread, I think I might have even posted on it. Remember the comment now about your liking it over the Classic as well.

Can't say as I recall any other threads here though about the '60s Trib SG but then I do try to cut back from time to time on my HCEG.

It interesting to me that it works well for you for that style of music. I know you and I have been around here for some time and I often associate you with the Faded Gibby V, so it's interesting the SG has become your No. 1 over the 496/500 V for your style of music. The style your band plays is not something I normally listen to but I listened to the clip and enjoyed it. It had a nice grinding sludgey metal tone to it that I was able to get into. Looks like you've got a pretty good bunch of talent assembled there. I could see myself head bobbing to that. ;)

:wave:

P.S. Glad to hear that it sounds better to you. I try not to be one of those guitar collector/GAS'rs who collects the same thing but just in different colors.

• Members

wow, what kind of camera is that? insane quality

Don't know man, a lot of people keep asking me that lol - was a friend of drummer's. He shot the whole night, looked to be more of a pro camera than the average video camera. The audio is insane as well for hand held! I had another camera mounted about 30 feet back and that video looks like hell and the sound is way muffled. We have another gig two weeks from tonight at the same venue and we'll be producing another video or maybe two....

• Members

For me

buying one is ALL ABOUT the grain pattern on the top ....

can't see shelling out 8 bills for a butcher blog SG. This one looks sweet ... PM me when you are ready to sell it ...
:wave:

Exactly! When I saw this model was coming on line, I wanted one and figured I might lose out if I didn't put in an advance order. I talked to my rep at Sweetwater and he also thought that the naturals might not even make it to their gallery before they'd be all gone. But I wasn't willing to take the chance of getting a "butcher block" guitar in natural finish. I have a faded brown SG Special that's a bb build, but at least the color covers up the mismatching under some lightings.

The two they have left right now -

108010616-body-l.jpg

106610504-body-l.jpg

-definitely have more of that "butcher block" appearance.

However, this one at Wildwood Guitars is pretty cool looking. Oops, it's now gone.

But they are another site that good to check out since they have good gallery photos there as well. Funny thing is though, they still have the Zoot Suit in their gallery that I bought over two months ago. :lol:

019590481_f.jpg

• Members

Been dying to get my 'skinners on one of those ever since I saw it in the catalog! But GAS will have to wait.

New struts in the car, dog's gotta get his nuts cut off, need to replace the throttle body in the truck, need a load of black dirt and a load of class 5, just put $127 in the gas tank . . ..

I'm whining like a teenaged girl!

• Members
Been dying to get my 'skinners on one of those ever since I saw it in the catalog! But GAS will have to wait.

New struts in the car, dog's gotta get his nuts cut off, need to replace the throttle body in the truck, need a load of black dirt and a load of class 5, just put $127 in the gas tank . . ..

I'm whining like a teenaged girl!

Nah, ordering the SG like I did is more like being a teenaged girl. I have my own list of "shoulda's" as well that should have taken priority. But I had a bad week last week including losing an ex-brother in law. I hadn't seen him in years after my sis left him. But he used to take me fishing and bird hunting back in the 70s when I was a late teenager. Just heard he was suffering with terminal prostate cancer and ended up shooting himself in his back yard at the age of 64. :cry: That plus car problems myself, and a tough week at work made me pull the trigger. I gotta stay clear of browsing the galleries as a diversion. :eek:

• Members

That particular one looks more korina yellow than natural. The one I saw at NAMM didn't look anything like it.

That's interesting. Are you saying it looks lighter or darker? I'd guess it looks lighter. I've found that the Sweetwater lighting in their gallery shots bleed out the colors, lightening them up, and also bringing out red hues that you don't usually see in normal room lighting.

• Members

I bought a PRS Se Singlecut with P-90s to satisfy my SG/P-90 jones. With a Lollar upgrade it comes close. One of my favorite live tones ever was Pete Townshend, Tommy era, playing an SG with P-90s. That being said, my favorite SG tones ever are Clapton's on the live stuff on Wheels of Fire. I want an SG with PAF type 'buckers and a big neck. Love the color on yours. Enjoy!

• Members

Here was my QC issue version, found the pix. Let me be clear though, my ebony one is 100% perfect and very bad ass. What sucks, is that this color is very, very cool in person and it sounded and played great. Just those finish issues. I'd put money on it that Sweetwater won't let anything out the door that has problems. You are gonna LOVE IT!

Glob o' spunk on the front and you can't see the sand grains under the clearcoat

SG1.jpg

Factory dents

SG2.jpg

• Members

Looks much lighter, and with a more yellow hue to it. Probably the bright light does have something to do with it. The ones at NAMM in the lower light looked more like a coffee table, like most natural Explorers tend to look.

065.jpg

Yeah, I'd bet that is more accurate. I think I might even be happier with that color. Although it will be a hair redundant with this axe in my stable

LPJrSpc.jpg

BRampitheatreII.jpg

• Members

Here was my QC issue version, found the pix. Let me be clear though, my ebony one is 100% perfect and very bad ass.

Glob o' spunk on the front and you can't see the sand grains under the clearcoat

SG1.jpg

Factory dents

SG2.jpg

Yeah, I remember those pics now that you've posted them again.

I probably could have lived the blems on the back, but that splooge on the front would be hard to accept.

Archived