How is the Japanese guitar industry holding up?

Faber

• Members

What with the eathquakes, radiation etc.

Hope it doesen't seem insensitive - guitar building is obviously the least of their worries right now, but I still curious whether Yamaha, Ibanez, ESP etc have been affected by these disasters.

• Members

I know there aren`t any guitar factories up here in Tohoku...not sure if there are still any in Fukushima...I have some old Suzukis that were made there but they were made long ago. Tokyo got shook up in certain areas on the 11th quake but I don`t think it was bad enough to affect guitar production...though I have`t heard about it.

The automobile industry on the other hand was severely affected, there were several parts factories up here.

• Members

Don't know about guitars, but the earthquake and the aftermath is certainly effecting Japanese industry at the moment. Honda have halved car production in England due to a shortage of parts from Japan, and they're having a hard time meeting demand for motorcycle engines as well at the moment.

Japanese digital cameras are all going up in price and becoming harder to find, partly due to factory damage, but also because there's a shortage of the raw materials used to make sensors. High end canons, nikons and sonys have all gone up around 10-15% in the last couple of weeks, and many places are out of stock.

It's certainly feasible that guitar prices could go up for all the same reasons.

Archived