Microphonic squeal with an SG?

ZeppelinPie792

• Members

I recently acquired a used SG standard, but it has microphonic feedback when I turn the gain up on both of my amps (tube and SS) past 7 or so. Neither amp is too high gain, and both pickups have the squeal. Is it just bad shielding, or is it an issue with the pickups? I know it can't be something every SG does since t is so prevalent in doom and other forms of metal.

• Members

I get that with a few guitars and my Orange RV100 amp, but not with my Sunn amp which has a more fuzzed out, vintage vibe. Kinda strange. But the Orange is WAY louder and I play it usually on 8 which will melt your brain through a full stack. I've had the Orange for a few years now and its always done that. It seems to be the worse with my SG also as you can hear in this video (I have 60s Tribute with P90s) - Know the video was posted already, but tell me if yours does the same thing, you can't miss it

[video=vimeo;21643061]

• Members

I am pretty sure they are potted, or I would at least imagine the stock pickups from Gibson to be. It is a '96 standard if that makes any difference.

I have experienced this issue with fairly low volume (probably a bit louder than other people in the house would want to hear, but not loud enough for a band setting), and none of my other guitars have this issue when I am the same distance to the amp. Granted that is usually about six feet away, but I would imagine the SG to handle it better than my single coil guitars.

Curseoftruth: It is more high pitched than that. I am fine with the kind of feedback you got since I play a lot of noisy stuff, but the feedback I am getting is really high pitched. Also, I liked the track quite a bit.

• Members

I am pretty sure they are potted, or I would at least imagine the stock pickups from Gibson to be. It is a '96 standard if that makes any difference.

I have experienced this issue with fairly low volume (probably a bit louder than other people in the house would want to hear, but not loud enough for a band setting), and none of my other guitars have this issue when I am the same distance to the amp. Granted that is usually about six feet away, but I would imagine the SG to handle it better than my single coil guitars.

Curseoftruth: It is more high pitched than that. I am fine with the kind of feedback you got since I play a lot of noisy stuff, but the feedback I am getting is really high pitched. Also, I liked the track quite a bit.

Oh, thanks man, I appreciate that! Its kind of irritating when I gig, but I think I'm going to use my clean/dirty channel selector to fight that next time. Tried it at practice the other night and it worked well.

• Members

interference from something in the house? if u are using a laptop, try unplugging the psu ... try amp/guitar in different room of house, or different house altogether

use a multimeter to check continuity (beep!) when touching between the metal parts of the guitar (guitar ground/earth check)

and finally try a different cable.........................................

oh and actually, most important of all, make sure the seller didnt actually remove the gibson pickups and put in some cheap/{censored} ones instead, before selling the guitar on to you (a friend i know bought a used zakk wylde epi, which some idiot put fake pickups in and so he had exactly the same problem as you (and no amount of shielding helped...))

• Members

The pickups are covered, and I do very much prefer that look. I shall try tightening those and see if it does anything.

I have tried it with different amps in different rooms (including one with nothing plugged into the wall other than the amp), and still have experienced the problems.

I have also used different cables, and the problem does persist still.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

• Members

Is there any way to tighten the pickup cover? I would really rather not take the covers off if I don't have to. I tried shoving bits of a mouse pad underneath them (as one fellow said worked for him), but that did not work. After poking around a bit (literally), I have determined that it is too loose on the top. Hopefully if there is a way to tighten the pickup cover, it should solve my problem.

• Members

I would really rather not take the covers off if I don't have to..

if you do though, use a sharp stanley knife with a strong blade, to cut through the solder (or failing that, some kind of serated blade to 'saw' through the solder). dont heat the solder to remove the cover, as it will melt the wax inside the pickup. heat can also damage/alter the pickup

ps. perhaps remove one cover first and see if the noise goes away..

after removing cover/s . if noise still exists then simply proceed in one of two ways:

1. sell the guitar (eg. eBay)

2. take it to a proper guitar technician.

Archived