Chorus Pedal Help

danxrs05

• Members

Hi everyone!

This is my first thread of the year so happy new year to everyone!!!

So I am starting to think about buying a chorus pedal, but I need help.

I don't know {censored} about pedals.

Between you and me, I wont go and try a bunch of them, I'll probably just order one online and then play with it.

So which ones do you guys recommend? (Any favorites)

Boss Super Chorus?

Thanks!

• Members

I love chorus pedals and I have a small collection.

My favorite out of all of 'em is probably the Digitech Hardwire CR-7. It gets really warm big sounding '70s type chorus, but it can also get the brighter more shimmery '80s type chorus as well.

But I also have others which I really enjoy:

Boss CE-2

Boss CE-5

Boss CH-1

And a Behringer C0600 Chorus Orchestra which, surprisingly, sounds as great as any of the Boss ones, and it's only $30.

Also, one of my favorite chorus sounds is a Boss BF-2 Flanger with the MANUAL and RES controls all the way down and the DEPTH and RATE controls around 2:00 or so. It makes a really rich lush ear candy chorus sound.

• Members

I have the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble. I really like it, and I prefer it over the Super Chorus. The MXR Stereo Chorus is awesome, but not better enough (or would it be used enough) to buy over my Boss one. The EHX is cool, but they can be noisy. There is a new micro Clone (or something like that) from them that looks good.

• Members

My buddy just bought an EHX Neo Clone for his bass. Great chorus pedal! Under $75 methinks.

See my sig. I use an Analogman Clone Chorus. Super expensive - super great!

If i had to buy another Chorus pedal now, I would probably get the Hardwire CR-7. It's versatile and sounds great.

• Members

MalekkoChorus.jpg

I just love these pedals. If you exclude dirt pedals, they're about the best line any manufacturer has come out with, ever, imho.

[video=youtube;076qdKSC8nU]

Here's a vid of the phaser from the same line, which I have, and love dearly. I am in the phaser > chorus club.

[video=youtube;PED0ObpWQj4]

• Members

i really like the Small clone, and the boss ce-2 i had.

though lately i find my self using a stereo paner with the amps sitting one on top of each other the top amp has a lil more mid and treble dialed into the eq, the bottom amp a lil more bass, a pretty quick speed, about 75% depth, and the speakers pointed slithly opposite of each other. this sounds awesome and the sounds surrounds you.

• Members

I've gone through dozens of chorus pedals. They're one of my favorite effects to play around with, because everyone sees to do it differently, even between models from the same manufacturer. Some are really swirly, others are more like a tremolo, and others are really subtle and add only a hint of sweetness. My favorites are the MXR Stereo Chorus, the Boss CE-5, and the Maxon CS-505.

The MXR is my favorite, and what's currently on my board. I put together a quick demo of it here:

rOmx7xTZHig

• Members

Just bought this used...

52aa1a3c.png

Really nice chorus pedal...and analog. Also just traded my Bad Monkey OD for a Boss Super Chorus...so I can check out the differences. Main difference in the Neo Clone (which is the Small Clone in a smaller package), is that it is much warmer than a lot of chorus pedals. Think early Nirvana...they used the Small Clone a lot. Love the tone on the Neo. I'm guessing that I'll keep both chorus pedals for different sounds...might as well, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble. I really like it, and I prefer it over the Super Chorus. The MXR Stereo Chorus is awesome, but not better enough (or would it be used enough) to buy over my Boss one. The EHX is cool, but they can be noisy. There is a new micro Clone (or something like that) from them that looks good.

I can't stand my CE-5. What am I doing wrong? I even did the tremolo mod just to derive some pleasure from the damn pedal.

To give you an idea of what I like, I love the Ibanez 9 series tones.

• Members

I currently have a Rocktron Tsunami chorus, which also has a slapback echo. I actually really like the chorus on it, but the thing's HUGE. It just takes up way too much real estate on my pedalboard. I hadn't used it in years, but recently stopped gigging and so threw it on my board just for something different. If space isn't an issue, I think it sounds really good.

Having said that, I would really like to get a BBE Mindbender, that also has a vibrato function. The clips I've heard sound excellent. I used to have an old Arion plastic chorus pedal in high school, and that thing was awsome because it had a tone control, which made it extremely distortion-friendly. It was perfect for playing Rush and the like.

• Members

Personally, I like the Visual Sound H2O Chorus pedal. The Chorus and Echo are really nice by themselves, but when you combine them together their simply is no word for how awesome it truly is:

[video=youtube;8LItstNx6mk]

• Members

Yup, the Hardwire is nice, as it has 6 or 7 different types of chorus built in. Had one and sold it...but it was an amazing pedal. I bought the Neo Clone (same as a Small Clone...smaller box) pictured in my post above, a few weeks ago. I also then traded a pedal for the Boss Super Chorus below:

IMG00047-20110122-2236.jpg

Chorus is chorus, right? Not exactly. These two chorus pedals sound very different...but I love them both, and may end up keeping them both. The Boss is so stinkin' smooth...just adds a dimension of texture (or much more depending on the settings) which is just awesome. The Neo Clone absolutely nails the tone of early Nirvana recordings (Cobain used a Small Clone), and it just has a really cool tone to it that I have not heard in other chorus pedals. I'll have to shoot some video of the two one of these days...but if I had to choose, the Boss is so much more versatile... So, my vote would be either the Hardwire or the Super Chorus.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Just wanted to take the time to thank you all.

Finally bought a MXR Micro Chorus. For what I do, it's absolutely perfect and sounds awesome through the Mark V! :D

Well built, seems tough.

Exactly what I wanted!

Thanks!

Archived