Educate me on pure nickel strings!

scolfax

• Members

I used to use nickels alot. I started getting batches of strings that wouldnt intonate so i switched back to nickle coated. Nickle is a magnetic metal so it does have a strong output. Its is s softer metal so its less wear on the strings. They can tame a guitar that has overly bright pickups. I like them on my Les paul for a more vintage Almond Brothers type tone out of it. The only negative factors are the wrapped strings will wear quicker at the frets if you bend notes alot and nickle will tarnish and give you nasty stink finger when the strings get older, so if you dont clesn and replace strings often they might not be your cup of tea.

• Members

It's worth noting that nickle strings do usually last longer than nickle-plated steel.

Intonation--alright, this might not be a very good explanation, but it's how accurate the notes are to their fret position. If a guitar has bad intonation, it won't sound like an even progression when you play a scale. It can make the guitar sound out-of-tune even when it's not. If a guitar has good intonation each note will sound spot-on. Intonation can be screwed up by things like changing string gauges, improper truss rod adjustment, raising/lowering strings unevenly, etc.

• Members

Yeah it has to do with whether the string is in tune up and down the neck when the open string is in tune. If it's out of whack, usually you fix it by moving the saddle toward or away from the neck. However, sometimes if the problem is bad enough, that might not be enough.

• Members

Strings lasting longer is usually an illusion created by the string's not being very bright to begin with. When strings are bright(er) when first put on, they're becoming less bright is decidedly more noticeable than is a relatively dull string (pure nickel strings are less bright than nickel wound) becoming less bright.

• Members

I don't think nickel strings rust any faster or slower than nickel plated. Rusting only happens at the surface and only the wound strings are nickel, the rest are usually plain steel, and steel doesn't really rust either.

Now, nickel does last longer because nickel is quite elastic.

• Members

Strings lasting longer is usually an illusion created by the string's not being very bright to begin with. When strings are bright(er) when first put on, they're becoming less bright is decidedly more noticeable than is a relatively dull string (pure nickel strings are less bright than nickel wound) becoming less bright.

How is that an illusion?

• Members

Bear in mind only the windings are nickel. The plains are steel as is the core of the wound strings.

Wait...what? I'm confused! Please correct where I am mistaken:

Nickel plated steel: Wound strings have a steel core and the windings are nickel. Plain strings are steel.

Pure nickel: Wound strings have a nickel core and the windings are nickel. Plain strings are nickel.

• Members

no just the windings are pure nickel instead of nickel coated. The plain strings are still steel

Nickel plated steel: Wound strings have a steel core and the windings are nickel. Plain strings are steel.

Pure nickel: Wound strings have a nickel core and the windings are nickel. Plain strings are nickel.

• Members

If I switch from nickel-plated steel to pure nickel strings, what differences should I expect? Will I have to adjust the intonation if I don't change string gauge?

I think with plated both the core and winding are steel and so create a stronger magnetic effect.

With solid only the steel core is affecting the magnetic field and maybe why people say they sound mellower.

Pure nickel, nickel being softer than steel, is probably easier? on the frets...as the nickel coating probably? wears through fairly rapidly.

Could be wrong. :)

• Members

I think with plated both the core and winding are steel and so create a stronger magnetic effect.

With solid only the steel core is affecting the magnetic field and maybe why people say they sound mellower.

Pure nickel, nickel being softer than steel, is probably easier? on the frets...as the nickel coating probably? wears through fairly rapidly.

Could be wrong.
:)

Nickel is magnetic

• Members

no just the windings are pure nickel instead of nickel coated. The plain strings are still steel

Got it, thanks!

Kinda funny. When people talk about bends being easier, and the strings being easier on the fingers and frets, I somehow imagined this would be a bigger benefit to the unwound strings, where I spend most of my time. So that's pretty much a moot point!

• Members

No. Coated means both core and winding is steel with the winding being nickel coated.

Solid means the core is steel and the winding is pure nickel.

• Members

Got it, thanks!

Kinda funny. When people talk about bends being easier, and the strings being easier on the fingers and frets, I somehow imagined this would be a bigger benefit to the unwound strings, where I spend most of my time. So that's pretty much a moot point!

Remember that there are lots of different kinds of steel.

Also remember that things people talk about on guitar forums are sometimes true.

Archived