Digital Console Piano Suitable For The Front Room

ggm1960

• Members

If all goes as planned we'll take possession of our "new" home on Friday. This place is bigger and newer than my current house and I'm really looking forward to it! I've always wanted to have a piano in the front room and now there will be space.

Of course a Steinway concert grand would be lovely but this place isn't that big and besides, that's out of my budget. Time, energy and expense priority will be given to turning the basement into a respectable home recording studio. All things in time and first the old house must be sold.

At first I though an acoustic console piano was the way to go, we always had that and/or a baby grand in the house when I was growing up but the more I think about it the more I think a digital model would better suit my needs. If I can find one that looks nice enough for the front room. I'm really the only one who will play it and with USB I would be able to connect it to a laptop if I wanted to do a little keyboard recording work up out of the basement. Also I could play silently with headphones if needed. Then other obvious advantages would be more sounds, no need for tuning and lighter overall weight.

So I've been looking in the catalogs that come in the mail. I'd like to keep the price under $3K ($2K would be even better) yet have good piano sound, and playability, along with front room aesthetics. I see models from Roland, Yamaha, Kawai and even Casio that might fit the bill. Perhaps there are others?

Anyone care to share an opinion on what they think may be the best digital console piano value?

• Members

IMHO - digital pianos have made gotten a lot better in terms of sound over the last, say, 10 years. But touch is another thing. I've never felt a digital keyboard that comes very close to the feel of even an old acoustic clunker. I'd shop the keyboard feel first and foremost. You can always just use the digital piano as a controller to drive software if you find software that sounds better.

I'm sure you'll get posts that say "just buy an acoustic", so I'll pass on making a similar pitch -

Keyboard action is a pretty personal preference, but that said, I'd start shopping by trying out Yamahas and Kawais.

Ain't gonna be cheap to get one of the better ones....maybe just one big present for Christmas this year?:)

nat whilk ii

• Members

I'd recommend a used one also - - Those digital spinet pianos are much like jewelry; retail prices are about 2x the actual value.

BTW, invite me for a tour when you get your studio done... You're not going to do a Kevin Rife style studio, are you? (note to non-Cedar Rapidians: Kevin is a former bandmate and present friend of mine & GGM who built a tremendously excellent studio)

• Members

Man! Just get a used Yamaha U1-U3!!!! It'll sound way better that any digital piano and you'll love it forever!

Hmmm, maybe I should reconsider again seeing as how I already have a couple full size weighted digital models for gigs and the studio.

• Members

I'd recommend a used one also - - Those digital spinet pianos are much like jewelry; retail prices are about 2x the actual value.

BTW, invite me for a tour when you get your studio done... You're not going to do a Kevin Rife style studio, are you? (note to non-Cedar Rapidians: Kevin is a former bandmate and present friend of mine & GGM who built a
)

I didn't stumble onto a sugar momma like Kevin did! Not only is Kevin's studio pro level, the house they had it built into is by far the finest home I've ever set foot in. Not only that, Jill already had a Steinway baby grand that is the finest piano I've laid fingers on since my first piano recital in the Hollywood Hills at around age 7. GOD how I love to play that piano!

Anyway, My new home is much more modest and middle class. I do have a good sized, mostly unfinished, basement to transform though. Right now I'm thinking that I'll only need to build one wall and I'll be able to have a control room and a live room. Of course that is only the beginning, I'll have a lot of work to do sound-proofing, putting in carpet, and finishing the ceiling amongst other things. It's going to take time. First I want to put in a bathroom down there. My funding will be especially limited until I can get my current house sold and I won't even list it until we get moved out. I will let you know how it's going Phil and invite you over when it reaches a useable condition.

• Members

:)

Yeah! Really, wouldn't you rather have this in your room?

YAMAHA-U1w.jpg

That's the real thing, innit?

Looks like the one my buddy's wife got him for Christmas (and a couple birthdays, I suspect) some years back. It's a nice piano, with good action (of course, those things are personal) and has a pretty decent tone, being a full size upright. (How that will change over the years, I dunno. Not sure of the particulars of the soundboard construction.) No headphone jack or volume control... aside from the pedals, of course.

• Moderators

I'll tell ya... even my Young Chang makes me smile everyday. Not quite the full height but almost. Whatever that is. It sounds great. Because it is real. I guarantee everyone will want to play the real thing as opposed to a digital. I got mine for 400 bucks at a Salvation Army resale. Just gotta look around. But... if you're gonna spend 2k... you can find wonderful uprights.

Kids love the real thing. Dads (me) love the real thing. Every player that walks in my door walks right over to my piano and goes, "Cool." then busts out a melody or two. The real is a magnet for your hands and your ideas. It whispers, "Play me".

• Members

Kids love the real thing. Dads (me) love the real thing. Every player that walks in my door walks right over to my piano and goes, "Cool." then busts out a melody or two. The real is a magnet for your hands and your ideas. It whispers, "Play me".

I was just down at Mom's last weekend. She has a player piano she bought new in the 80's and the poor thing is a mess. It's out of tune, the player part is broken, keys are froze, some don't spring back up and others don't always sound. I originally had figured I wanted a real piano but after being reminded of the sad shape hers is in I started to reconsider.

• Members

I'll tell ya... even my Young Chang makes me smile everyday. Not quite the full height but almost. Whatever that is. It sounds great. Because it is real. I guarantee everyone will want to play the real thing as opposed to a digital. I got mine for 400 bucks at a Salvation Army resale. Just gotta look around. But... if you're gonna spend 2k... you can find wonderful uprights.

Same here, Lee. Here's a picture of my Yammie U2 upright. Mine's an older version, I guess (note that there are only two pedals).

Yam_U2.jpg

• Moderators

I can get a Wurlitzer console piano for $400. They claim it's been recently tuned. Does that seem like a good deal?

I'm thinking you don't want a console. Console = short. Those short, squat pianos sound just that way. Dull. You're looking for a newer full size. Craigslist most likely won't get you there though check. Mostly, I jsut found antique uprights that would make a grat piano but they're seriously undermaintained. And it's costly to bring them back. So go newer Asian. Yamaha, Young Chang, even Pearl River makes a decent sounding upright. FInd used and yoy could score.

I'd go into to your town's local piano warehouse and get a feel for where your budget can get you. Then you'll have a better idea of what you can afford and what might be a great deal outside of piano warehouse land.

This is what I found for 400 bucks...

youngchang-pe-118-red-mp1.jpg

That was a steal and I'm stoked. You might luck out. I took years looking for my deal. But if you have a 2k budget... I think you want to stay at 47" and up. Any smaller gets that doinky grandma's console tone. I'm no piano expert by any stretch, but you won't go wrong getting a used U series Yamaha. And there are deals out there.

• Members

I'm thinking you don't want a console. Console = short. Those short, squat pianos sound just that way. Dull. You're looking for a newer full size. Craigslist most likely won't get you there though check. Mostly, I jsut found antique uprights that would make a grat piano but they're seriously undermaintained. And it's costly to bring them back. So go newer Asian. Yamaha, Young Chang, even Pearl River makes a decent sounding upright. FInd used and yoy could score.

I'd go into to your town's local piano warehouse and get a feel for where your budget can get you. Then you'll have a better idea of what you can afford and what might be a great deal outside of piano warehouse land.

if you have a 2k budget... I think you want to stay at 47" and up. Any smaller gets that doinky grandma's console tone. I'm no piano expert by any stretch, but you won't go wrong getting a used U series Yamaha. And there are deals out there.

Thanks Lee, I'll need to investigate deeper, what I'm looking for is probably available in this area somewhere. There seems like a constant stream of ads on the work intranet of people trying to get rid of crappy old pianos. Typically they're console or seriously beat up old uprights. I've never done any serious piano shopping before and I'm glad I started this thread.

• Members

Thanks Lee, I'll need to investigate deeper, what I'm looking for is probably available in this area somewhere. There seems like a constant stream of ads on the work intranet of people trying to get rid of crappy old pianos. Typically they're console or seriously beat up old uprights. I've never done any serious piano shopping before and I'm glad I started this thread.

Let me know when you get one; I have tools & software for tuning, and a bunch of strings/felts/misc. parts I got for fixing up my upright.

• Members

I`m partial to a real piano. Lets be honest, do you really want to run from your studio in the basement to your living room digital piano when you`re recording? Its not going to happen so get the real thing for your living room and get yourself a decent keyboard in the studio. Yeah, it`ll cost a little more but you won`t regret it.

Too bad you don`t live anywhere near me, I am selling my upright Baldwin piano for dirt cheap. I haven`t played it in years.

• Moderators

Plus... they sound great miked up. You pull the panels off and expose the workings making sure you take a picture cause it looks rad. Get the mikes where you want them. Run a snake (I do) or just a couple of long XLRs. VNC your laptop to your studio and track from the living room! Works for me.

Here's my 400 dollar Young Chang miked up per ^^^^

[video=youtube;p0fgx59EyBQ]

• Members

Let me know when you get one; I have tools & software for tuning, and a bunch of strings/felts/misc. parts I got for fixing up my upright.

We're in the new place now. We've been working our asses off and are just beat! I had to play last night in Centerpoint and was worried I wouldn't be worth a crap but I got through the night ok. Took my gig gear from the old house and then returned with it to the new place. We've still got much to do, a lot of stuff still at the old house. When the old place is empty we'll need to do cleaning and at least some painting before I get it listed to sell. I hope it doesn't take too long to sell as it's a drain on my finances, especially during winter when I have to heat it.

I went nuts today and bought a new 47" TV and stand for the new place but haven't got that set up yet and then on the way home something went wrong with the brakes on the van, the light came on and I have to push the pedal to the floor to get the thing to stop so now getting that fixed is high on the priority list.

It'll still be a while before things settle down enough that I can start looking around for pianos and I really appreciate all the information and advice in this thread. I'll let you know when I think I might have found something suitable and have you check it out.

• Members

Plus... they sound great miked up. You pull the panels off and expose the workings making sure you take a picture cause it looks rad. Get the mikes where you want them. Run a snake (I do) or just a couple of long XLRs. VNC your laptop to your studio and track from the living room! Works for me.

Here's my 400 dollar Young Chang miked up per ^^^^

That is nice, really nice!

• Members

We're in the new place now. We've been working our asses off and are just beat! I had to play last night in Centerpoint and was worried I wouldn't be worth a crap but I got through the night ok. Took my gig gear from the old house and then returned with it to the new place. We've still got much to do, a lot of stuff still at the old house. When the old place is empty we'll need to do cleaning and at least some painting before I get it listed to sell. I hope it doesn't take too long to sell as it's a drain on my finances, especially during winter when I have to heat it.

I went nuts today and bought a new 47" TV and stand for the new place but haven't got that set up yet and then on the way home something went wrong with the brakes on the van, the light came on and I have to push the pedal to the floor to get the thing to stop so now getting that fixed is high on the priority list.

It'll still be a while before things settle down enough that I can start looking around for pianos and I really appreciate all the information and advice in this thread. I'll let you know when I think I might have found something suitable and have you check it out.

Two things: GGM, I feel for you. 5 years ago I moved into a new house. It was exciting and exhausting. I`m still working on the house... but its all fun.

Lee, Really nice tune and love the piano sound you got! Keep rocking!

• Members

It's been at least a year since I checked SSS, due to Nursing school and life in general. So today (it's winter break) I decided to see how everyone is doing, and the first thread is a great story and has Lee's song... Dang! What a great place this is. Thanks, guys. And GGM, congrats on the new place! I went through exactly the same thing, sorta, and it's worth it in the end.

Archived