Firefox 8.01 Mem Usage into the Stratosphere - Any Ideas?

Beck

• Members

Same here, but currently close to a gig. Only does it on my Windows 7 laptop, not on my Vista PC, thought I don't know if that's relevant. I shut it down every now and then to free up memory. I also get asyncronous typing, eg., characters appear on the screen behind the keystrokes; annoying. Hoping there's a bug fix, I've never had the problem before.[ATTACH=CONFIG]340919[/ATTACH]

• Members

Seems like a year ago I was on FF 3.???.

Now all of sudden they are going thru major revision levels faster than a Kardashian marriage.

Seriously what are they doing over there?

I installed Firefox 7.??? about a month ago on my newest Win 7 build, and IMO it works very well. Browsing is way faster than what I had with XP and 3.??.

I'm just curious, why all the changes. I understand incremental change for security and bugs, but 5 major rev changes in less than a year seems like something is out of whack.

• Members

Seems like a year ago I was on FF 3.???.

Now all of sudden they are going thru major revision levels faster than a Kardashian marriage.

Seriously what are they doing over there?

I installed Firefox 7.??? about a month ago on my newest Win 7 build, and IMO it works very well. Browsing is way faster than what I had with XP and 3.??.

I'm just curious, why all the changes. I understand incremental change for security and bugs, but 5 major rev changes in less than a year seems like something is out of whack.

I stopped updating at Firefox 3.6. Firefox 4 was a dog.

The major number changes doesn't mean what it used to. They decided to move to a naming scheme that was more in line with what the mobile browsers were doing.

I'm going to hold off updating as long as I can and then consider switching browsers. Right now 3.6 is working great for me.

• Members

Thanks for the comments and links so far. I think I'll call firefox and tell them I want my money back! Why are browsers free anyway?

I notice plugin-containers are back in 8.01 as well, and I had gotten rid of that junk in earlier versions. I was having problems before in 7.something as well. It wasn

• Members

Opera is fantastic. It has been my browser of choice for a few years now, and the only reason I keep Firefox around is because some sites (band webmail, Yahoo, a few others) don't support Opera. My personal experience has been that Javascript is the source (or at least the "enabler") for most spyware, and Opera has a "Quick Settings" menu that lets you disable Javascript, cookies, plug-ins and other miscellaneous stuff without having to sift through pages of settings. My XP box has never been so secure, and Opera is indeed light on system resources.

• Members

I only had one add-on... that is that I actually added on knowingly. It was called deskcut, and added the IE like feature of being able to right click and save Internet links to the desktop. The regular way of adding favorites/bookmarking never worked for me. Strange to me after all this time firefox doesn't do that without a third party thing.

• Members

Just an update. Tonight I was on facebook with a few windows open, chatting and inboxing. I opened a youtube video and boom! My pc did a hard reboot with no warning and I had to sit there waiting for the file check and all that before getting back on. I'm still messing with memory settings and whatnot from the links here. Time for Dr. Watson maybe. I don't even have it installed... guess I better.

Archived