Worst professional guitar tone?

gorebreath

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

how did dimebag not make this poll but dave grohl did???????

Looking at the list, it looks like Dave Grohl didn't make the list. However, I did notice the name "Dave Grhol" listed. ;)

• Members

Nope, I'm military.

My 3rd time here, though. Heading to DC this summer.

Neat. Intel? I used to be in AFROTC so we got to do a lot of cool stuff with Goodfellow.

That's also Lake Nasworthy in my avatar. :o

Any chance you know Lt. David Salas?

• Members

"Not the 'worst', but I've always been disappointed in Robert Cray's tone. Seemed thin and washed out, compared to the excellence of his playing. I always think how much better he'd sound if he let me adjust his amp settings.....
+1. Great player, but his tone is too clean. "

I like Robert Crays tone he is really playing the Strat for all it's worth rather than using it overdrive an amp, very unique...He sort of uses his voice as the gain and excitement. And I like Randy Rhodes too although goes in the other direction!

• Members

Nobody I know comes to mind, but I'm surprised Dave Grohl is an option. I've always thought Foo Fighters have great guitar tones. It's articulate even when they pour on the gain.

[video=youtube;eBG7P-K-r1Y]

seems a lot of people share this sentiment

• Members

Naw, I gotta agree with you there. Not that it's all that bad on its own, but there's such a HUGE difference between that and his gain sounds, and it doesn't help that he uses healthy amounts of reverb and delay, either. It's the crash between sounds that bugs me, he'd do better just using one amp like Hendrix did, and turn down the guitar volume when he needs to clean things up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

PRince has the worst tone of all men, when playing live the last 15-20 years using those stoopid plasic clouds and big key shaped geetars, processed through all the {censored} you could imagine. See RAVE un2 the year 2000 millenium gig. OUCH! Great gig though and great playing other than that.

He sounds great with a tele though !

Personally I wouldn't say that Prince's live tone was "the worst". It would be fairer to say it's very inconsistent regardless of what guitar he uses. I base this on the many live clips I've viewed. The amount of effects that are ladled on pretty much obliterate his core tone and I'm speaking mainly about his lead tone. It's not like he terrible amps he was a Mesa Boogie user for many years. Don't know what his current stage rig is. The last detailed breakdown I've read was from the early to mid 2000's. I thing he's a great player but I could never figure out his IMO over reliance on effects as his career progressed. BTW, he should have never gotten his hands on a Floyd equipped guitar LOL. Wobble..dump...Wobble....dive...repeat....not the most finessed bar user that's for sure.

Archived