Lessons from NAMM 2012

Anderton

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wireless was everywhere - wireless DI box (SM Pro Audio), wireless in-ear monitors and cable replacements (Wi Digital Systems), wireless snakes (iPad mixer control), wireless speakers (Alto, Behringer), etc. The 2.4GHz band is going to be very active...

Interesting! Thanks. I just never noticed that at all. Probably not as obvious as the 1001 displays using an iPad.

• Members

Here's one thing I've found so far that an iPad can do that I can't do with my existing gear:

Spectrasonics Omni TR

And here's another one: Lemur, a unique multi-touch MIDI control system, which originally sold at 2,400 Euros in 2007, is now reborn for iOS--with exactly the same functionality as the original--for only $49.99!

Sound On Sound Lemur review

Lemur Website

Hats off to both companies for thinking outside of the box! ...Er, so to speak. ;)

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I don't have one already, so the first thing I want that requires one will cost me $500 more than someone else.

Well, I think the assumption is that it's doubtful anyone would buy an iPad just as a DAW controller. The assumption is, if you already have one, then you can use it as an auxiliary DAW controller cheap, and it works very well as one. It's not as if you won't use it for anything else. I use mine for a LOT of things that, when added together, certainly are worth the cost. And of course once you buy one, the apps themselves are cheap or free.

Yes, I have a laptop, but there are a lot of things for which I prefer the multi-touchscreen interface, longer battery life, lighter weight, always-on connection and other benefits of a tablet. It just feels more conducive to creativity and is easier to integrate into "real life" than a computer. Your mileage may vary, but again no one's holding a gun to your head and saying you have to have one. If you want an external DAW controller, you'd have to buy one anyway, and if you don't need or want one, then who cares if someone else does?

• What are they going to do when the device they designed around becomes obsolete in a year? And this year's iPad won't work with the hardware you bought to work with last year's iPad? Sometimes they just change connectors to be ornery.

•  

Errhhhh... there aren't any connectors. iPads interface with these devices via wifi, and I don't expect wifi to become obsolete any time soon.

I wish I could tell everyone to quit buying this stuff, but they want it too badly.

Why does it matter to you if other people want this stuff? Nobody says you have to use an iPad with anything - it just provides some nice additional features which, yes, a lot of people like and want. I use Reaper with my iPhone, iPad AND a console. I could also use it without any of these things. It doesn't make me choose and I'd wager other DAW packages don't either.

But most who do don't have the same thing compatible with the Android or other tablets.

I'm guessing that will change if Android tablets become more popular. Right now, iPad has dominated the tablet market completely. Other companies have tried to make tablets that compete with it, but so far none have really succeeded. If more users start buying Android tablets, you'll see more support for Android tablets. :idk:

• Members

And lose everything you have with one catastrophic glitch.
    :facepalm:

Huh? The books you buy are saved on the network you buy them from... so unless somebody takes out Amazon's or Apple's entire server network, PLUS you haven't downloaded and backed up your books locally, you won't lose anything. If your local tablet install plus your local (computer) backup fail, you can restore your books from your Amazon or Apple account on the network, and if some catastrophe took out the cloud network, you still have your local copy.

I mean, I love physical books too, but losing my e-book catalog is the least of reasons not to buy e-books. Physical books can be damaged or lost more easily (and I in fact have had really bad luck with people borrowing books of mine and not returning them).

• Members

And here's another one: Lemur, a unique multi-touch MIDI control system, which originally sold at 2,400 Euros in 2007, is now reborn for iOS--with exactly the same functionality as the original--for only $49.99!

I used to think Lemur (the iPad app) was just a more expensive Touch OSC, disn't understand why the Physics feature was so exciting, etc.... until I downloaded the manual and started reading it.

Lemur has a powerful scripting language, which lets the user build fairly complex sequencers. The interfaces can be dynamically altered by XML changes. You can have a nearly unlimited number of pages of user interfaces - the only limit being memory.

• CMS Author

Well, I think the assumption is that it's doubtful anyone would buy an iPad
    just
    as a DAW controller. The assumption is, if you already have one, then you can use it as an auxiliary DAW controller
    cheap
    , and it works very well as one.

Tha'ts reasonable, but when it's an integral part of a mixer, as it is with the new Mackie, that's a different story. You can't use the mixer without an iPad, so it's either buy an iPad (Apple would like that) or buy a different mixer (Mackie wouldn't like that).

I use mine for a LOT of things that, when added together, certainly are worth the cost.

I suspect that I wouldn't. It's bigger than I'd want to carry around with me all day so I could check my e-mail while I'm waiting for my lunch to arrive. I don't carry around a book that I'm reading, I wait until I get to bed or the couch for that. Besides, I hate reading books on a screen so I wouldn't use it for that. I might use it to refer to a PDF manual so I wouldn't have to keep jumping between screens on the computer, but I just don't live the kind of life where I'm likely to find it useful for lots of day-to-day things.

no one's holding a gun to your head and saying you have to have one.

This is true today, but it might not be true always. Nobody is holding a gun at my head telling me that I need to install Windows 7 (which will require a new computer which I still haven't done anything about) but if I want to review a device or software program that requires Windows 7, I can't do that on XP. I got a laugh out of the Studio Six Digital guy when I told him that I'd like to review his iP* audio test applications, and could he please send me an iPod with them installed since I didn't have one.

I DO use a computer for lots of day-to-day things that I wouldn't substitute an iPad for, so I can justify owning a computer, several, actually.

Why does it matter to you if other people want this stuff?

I'm putting on my writer's hat here. There are things that I can't write about without having an i**. At this point in my diminishing career, there's no way that it would be a cost-effective investment. It would make sense for me to invest $500 in an iPad if I was getting paid $5,000 to write a manual for a product that uses one, but not if I'm getting paid $0 for a review that I post on my web site.

And about the connectors - I was referring to the I/O connector that the Mackie mixer uses, and also that things like the iRig use to connect a guitar to an iPod, and the Studio Six Digital outboard I/O boxes, and accessory mics and cameras.

And the WiFi connections aren't direct to the device you're controlling, they're to a router connected to a computer that's connected to the device. Someone who buys a PreSonus StudioLive mixer, for example, with the understanding that he can control his monitor mix from the stage using his iPhone may not realize that he needs more than the mixer and the iPhone, he needs a computer running the mixer control application, and a WiFi router to connect the iPhone to that application. You would be smart enough to figure that out, but lots of people aren't. It's them that I'm concerned about, not just me. (note my message tag line)

If more users start buying Android tablets, you'll see more support for Android tablets.

Egg -> Chicken -> Egg

• Members

Tha'ts reasonable, but when it's an integral part of a mixer, as it is with the new Mackie, that's a different story. You can't use the mixer without an iPad, so it's either buy an iPad (Apple would like that) or buy a different mixer (Mackie wouldn't like that).

Again... the assumption with the new Mackie is that you already have an iPad and would like to use it as a controller or a mixer, which would cost you less than buying a whole hardware mixer, and can be detached for remote control from elsewhere in the room. It's a purpose specific fancy "accessory" for an iPad, as it were. It's not as if Mackie doesn't make any other mixers that don't require an iPad - if you want a digital controller for a DAW, get one of their digital mixers. If you want a strictly analog hardware mixer, they have that too. Do you really think Mackie is going to eliminate the Onyx and VLZ series so they can force everyone to buy an iPad? :lol: Options are good, and these days there are lots of options.

...I just don't live the kind of life where I'm likely to find it useful for lots of day-to-day things.

So then, don't buy one. :idk: I underestimated how much I'd end up using mine, having bought it because I needed it for work (I'm developing a lot of mobile apps currently). I ended up using it much more than I'd have thought, and I enjoy it. But the world isn't gonna end if you don't buy one.

I'm putting on my writer's hat here. There are things that I can't write about without having an i**. At this point in my diminishing career, there's no way that it would be a cost-effective investment. It would make sense for me to invest $500 in an iPad if I was getting paid $5,000 to write a manual for a product that uses one, but not if I'm getting paid $0 for a review that I post on my web site.

Well sure, if you're only thinking of it in those terms. But there are plenty of things you can't write about if you don't have something else. I couldn't review any keyboard sample libraries, for instance, because I don't own a controller keyboard and couldn't really justify buying one. Therefore, there are plenty of people more passionate and qualified than I am to review keyboard sample libraries, whereas I might be more interested in and qualified to review a microphone or something else more in line with my usual working environment. This is news?

Egg -> Chicken -> Egg

Not when you have the kind of market dominance that the iPad currently does. There are plenty of apps for Android, and it has a very vibrant developer community. But so far, that hasn't translated into more tablet sales. It just isn't worth an MI manufacturer's effort to support Android tablets right now - an app does have to be completely rewritten. That could change at any time, in theory, and if/when it does, it will be worth the effort. Obviously the companies are doing their own cost/benefit analyses just like you are doing yours.

• Members

Here's probably a rhetorical question about the iPad -- you can forget velocity sensitivity, right? Since there's no pressure sensing?

Yes, there is pressure sensing. I have several drum pad apps for the iPad and iPhone that are velocity sensitive.

• Members

I'm guessing that will change if Android tablets become more popular.

It might, but first Google must fix the audio latency issue, which as I previously posted, was reported end of July 2009, but has yet to be fixed. It is so great that you cannot monitor a previously recorded track and record a new one at the same time.

• Members

Errhhhh... there aren't any connectors. iPads interface with these devices via wifi, and I don't expect wifi to become obsolete any time soon.

I think he's referring to the 30-pin, and doesn't want to see the same thing happen that happened with iPods when they changed connectors and some older docks wouldn't work with newer iPods.

• Members

It might, but first Google must fix the audio latency issue, which as I previously posted, was reported end of July 2009, but has yet to be fixed. It is so great that you cannot monitor a previously recorded track and record a new one at the same time.

Yipes, I didn't know that. Well, that would explain a lot of things, then.

• Members

Not when you have the kind of market dominance that the iPad currently does.

And I don't think that's going to change. The markups on iPads are such that if there was a serious threat to their dominance, Apple could cut prices dramatically and still make a ton o' bucks.

• Members

I think he's referring to the 30-pin, and doesn't want to see the same thing happen that happened with iPods when they changed connectors and some older docks wouldn't work with newer iPods.

Yeah, the same thing happened between the iPhone 3 and 4. It's annoying because I wanted to buy a Blue Mikey for my iPhone, but they still have not come out with a version that will work with the iPhone 4. I might just get the TASCAM mic instead.

So yeah, the docking connector is indeed a potential annoyance. But, as with any computer based hardware, if you have a stable system that you like you don't have to upgrade anything. I don't doubt that Firewire will be a dinosaur in a few years and I'll still have my Allen & Heath Firewire console. But I don't see any reason to upgrade any of my computer hardware anytime soon, and if there's some OS or software compatibility issue in the future that would render my system inoperable, I just won't upgrade the OS or software either.

• Members

Huh? The books you buy are saved on the network you buy them from... so unless somebody takes out Amazon's or Apple's entire server network, PLUS you haven't downloaded and backed up your books locally, you won't lose anything. If your local tablet install plus your local (computer) backup fail, you can restore your books from your Amazon or Apple account on the network, and if some catastrophe took out the cloud network, you still have your local copy.

I mean, I love physical books too, but losing my e-book catalog is the least of reasons not to buy e-books. Physical books can be damaged or lost more easily (and I in fact have had really bad luck with people borrowing books of mine and not returning them).

Yeah, but I

• Members

As I say, that's why you need cloud AND local storage. I would never want to trust the cloud alone to store anything really important, but I do like having it in case my local backup gets taken out in a fire or something.

But I do still buy paper books. It's not that I don't understand the concept, and I'm never one to "prematurely" ditch any old technology... I do still often use analog tape, after all. ;)

• CMS Author

IMO there's nothing wrong with iPads and readers of various kinds as long as you don't prematurely replace a proven and reliable technology with something unproven.

The problem with having your system depend on devices from multiple manufacturers - and this is the essence of a system - is that when it comes to a disposable consumer device becoming part of a system, that part may become obsolete before other parts of your system. Taking that Mackie digital mixer as an example, the mixer part is probably pretty well built and will last for 10 or 15 years and continue to mix . . unless the iPad that you bought for it or had when you bought the mixer fails in two years in which time Apple has released two new versions, the newest of which not only has an operating system that doesn't support the Mackie app (ever wait for a Mackie driver update? They're still working on Win7 drivers) but the connector on the new iPad won't fit the docking connector on the mixer.

It's not the end of the world, assuming that Mackie eventually updates the app, because you can run the mixer via WiFi without the iPad docked, but then you lose at least one feature, playback of backing tracks or break music off the iPad because those come through the docking connector. And if you never used the WiFi connection before, you might have to get a wireless router along with your new iPad that you probably didn't expect to fail so much earlier than the mixer.

Use them, but keep your real books for when this system everyone is running to doesn't deliver as expected and maybe even falls apart

• Members

But I don't see any reason to upgrade any of my computer hardware anytime soon, and if there's some OS or software compatibility issue in the future that would render my system inoperable, I just won't upgrade the OS or software either.

I couldn't agree with her more. In fact she took the words right out of my mouth. (Hmmm... I just had a thought. An old Meatloaf song just popped into my head... eh, never mind.)

Anyway, my analog console is 25 years old and it hasn't become incompatible with itself yet, so I'll keep it for a while. Even my DAW is based around a 10-year-old motherboard. It does everything I need it to do and more. I'm slow to change things that are working. Well, I just plain don't change things that are working unless something comes along that has great potential to significantly impact my art for the better.

• Members

I feel sorry for all the people who save so much room by throwing away all their CDs and cases when they got the converted to MP3s on a hard drive.

I don't. I'd love to reclaim all that space!!!!

I haven't digitized a lot of my CDs, though. Who has the time????

I just got a Kindle. I like it. But I still read magazines and "regular" books anyway. But you know what? The Kindle has a little browser that I can use via 3G when I travel so I can answer an occasional email and look up stuff. I can take books with me and not stuff up my backpack full of books when I travel. I can save some space at home too. I love it! What's not to like?

• Members

Once I finally buy an iPad, I'll probably start buying virtual books too. Books take up a lot of space, take a lot of energy to pack, and cost a lot to move. I like the idea of being able to move my book (and video) collection as easily as I move an iPad.

Perhaps one day, it'll be almost as easy to move my studio too...

Best,

Geoff

I got a Kindle for Christmas and haven`t used it yet. I just purchased a textbook for school yesterday for $185 because the Kindle version was getting bad reviews. As much as manufacturers try to make their devices appear cool and the solution to everything, the truth is we are still in the infantile stages of technology in the studio. The iPad has some cool uses but for music, they are not professional yet. To me, its still gimmicky.

Going back to the Kindle, I am looking forward to purchasing more books on it for school, textbooks are quite heavy so eventually they`ll figure it out but we`re still a few years away.

• Members

I don't. I'd love to reclaim all that space!!!!

I haven't digitized a lot of my CDs, though. Who has the time????

I just got a Kindle. I like it. But I still read magazines and "regular" books anyway. But you know what? The Kindle has a little browser that I can use via 3G when I travel so I can answer an occasional email and look up stuff. I can take books with me and not stuff up my backpack full of books when I travel. I can save some space at home too. I love it! What's not to like?

I have close to a 1000 CDs and maybe 50 of them have been imported into my computer. As you said, who has the time? I`m still getting around to the Kindle Ken so thats why I never got back to you on that but as you`re discovering, its a pretty nice device.

Archived