Is your tone/quality a factor in how inspired or motivated you are when writing?

Phait

• Members

It varies for me. sometimes I write just in abstract musical structure, other times I suppose I write to a particular sonic effect. Just two different approaches.

I don't really think in terms of "cheap" = "bad" though. Like toy piano, it's a particular TYPE of tone that may lend itself to some things, but I don't think of it as bad.

was it Mason Williams that did $13 Stella ??

that sort of fits the sentiment I guess

• Members

The quality of the sound definitely is an inspiration for me to play the drums. I keep my kit tuned (obviously I have to, for recording), but some days you dig the sound and some you don't. When I'm just noodling around, having a bit of practise, I play so much more creatively if the snare is crackling and the toms sound good.

• Members

for you guys that have the skills to write songs in your head, that's great and it probably won't effect the muse or the music with a crappy instrument.

i get inspired by tones, some days it sounds all plunk plunk, other times, a smooth strat tone or a biting tele or a great sounding synth will do wonders.

Blue brought up an interesting thing about standing in line at the ATM, i wrote my best stuff and had more ideas when i was waiting for the MTR and at work. often hearing the whole tune, start to finish.

with that type of idea, you just need the music, chord progression and melody, beat and then fill in the tones later.

i use my cell to hum ideas or sing in some lyrics and give all info i can to what i heard. i have plenty of time now, to write and play but it's been dismal in the getting anything new going. WTH?!

i'm sure y'all been there, "wow! this is awesome!" then 2 mins later, "{censored}! what was that again?"

tones Do set a mood, like colors in a painting, if you don't have an idea where you are going and want to try to create something on the fly.

my .02.

• Members

sorry,

another thing.

what tone is "neutral or bad?" there is none, IMO.

even the ear test tones some of us got in school back in 4th grade! lol!

someone could use that in a tune also. what was that thing anyway?

i must admit i read the title as "tone quality".

• Members

i must admit i read the title as "tone quality".

THE OP might have meant it that way since " achieve better tones comes up (though I guess it could be "more fitting tones")

"tone quality" is a tricky beast because of that "quality" dual meaning...I like timbre for that reason. It hints to qualitative, but not in the good or bad sense

• Members

Well take a ~$120 digital guitar FX pedal compared to mic'ing a good amp or 2. The latter will sound better, and since I'll feel better about what I hear, I'd find it more inspiring to work with.

It just depends...I've heard electric guitarists use the old beatles "revolution" example which, as I understand it, was direct into a channel strip that they let overdrive.

• Members

I have a few studio buddies I've worked with for a good 15 years.

We can practically read eachothers minds when it comes to writing originals.

One of us may be noodeling around with an idea and the rest jump in and within litterally 5 or 10 minutes we have a song.

I've written and recorded hundreds of songs with them that way. Its not that much different from what the Funk Brothers

did at Motown. Most of their stuff was written on the spot with little or forethought ahead of time.

This kind of collaborative writing does take talent and experience and if you're the one throwing up and idea, the song may wind

up sounding very different than you originally planned. If you're anal about how "Your" song has to sound and if you're a controll freak

about how every part has to sound, then a freelance collaboration like that will never work for you and you may be better of writing solo.

I know many musicians who cant work with others writing and its a shame cause they just dont know how much they're missing when you

get three or four times the creative juice bouncing around in a room vs one.

• Members

brought up an interesting thing about standing in line at the
ATM
, i wrote my best stuff and had more ideas when i was waiting for the MTR and at work. often hearing the whole tune, start to finish.

with that type of idea, you just need the music, chord progression and melody, beat and then fill in the tones later.

i use my cell to hum ideas or sing in some lyrics and give all info i can to what i heard. i have plenty of time now, to write and play but it's been dismal in the getting anything new going. WTH?!

i'm sure y'all been there, "wow! this is awesome!" then 2 mins later, "{censored}! what was that again?"

tones Do set a mood, like colors in a painting, if you don't have an idea where you are going and want to try to create something on the fly.

my .02.

[bold added]

Actually, that was Lee Knight... when I'm standing in line at the ATM I'm thinking about my balance as a rule. ;)

Archived