How do you know you're too nitpickey?

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

If it makes you feel better, I spent a year and well over $3000 designing a custom drumset down to the ply layup, bearing edges, had custom lugs made, custom sizes, custom finish, and the whole thing was extremely underwhelming and mediocre. Sometimes the mass produced stuff is mass produced because it works so damn well.

• Members

Usually the bigger a company gets the less they do completely customized work. My company has done a lot of customized work, in a completely different industry, and the return you get for the effort is not worth it. The larger we get the more customized requests we turn down (thankfully).

• Members

If it makes you feel better, I spent a year and well over $3000 designing a custom drumset down to the ply layup, bearing edges, had custom lugs made, custom sizes, custom finish, and the whole thing was extremely underwhelming and mediocre. Sometimes the mass produced stuff is mass produced because it works so damn well.

This is what I've been saying about custom guitars.. Most people have no real expertise when it comes to design, they just know they want a custom. That custom is very rarely something more amazing than what's already on the market. The only difference is that they feel like it's more "theirs" than buying something off the rack. Why approach a company like Jackson with your own design, which goes completely against most of the design concepts that Jacksons are famous for? Where is the "Jackson" in your final guitar? To me, the smarter "custom" is to find a shop that has a checklist of options they've made before. If you want a one-off, make it yourself. (This obviously doesn't apply aesthetic design..)

• Members

One of the reasons why I started just grabbing Squiers and playing them rather than get too far into building is that I realized being nitpicky didn't make me sound one bit different from anyone else, so I might as well just start playing cheap Strats so I can always pick up a guitar and play it.

If that makes sense.

• Members

One of the reasons why I started just grabbing Squiers and playing them rather than get too far into building is that I realized being nitpicky didn't make me sound one bit different from anyone else, so I might as well just start playing cheap Strats so I can always pick up a guitar and play it.

If that makes sense.

It doesn't, actually.. Off the rack is fine, but I personally want to deal with a higher level of quality than you find in a Squier.

• Members

If that makes sense.

Yeah it does. I like all kinds of guitars, but there are always versions that are really dumb looking and cool looking to me. Most of my issues with various things are aesthetic.

• Members

Welp, what I wanted was a dual HB routed, single piece of plastic pick guard'd (no metal plates for controls), TOM Hardtail'd Jaguar. They can do it with a Jazzmaster body, but not a jaguar.

OK, I got a better idea now.

Jaguar Special HH, and then just cut a Blacktop-style pickguard to cover up the chrome, put a three way switch in either the top or the bottom cavity. There are plenty of people who can cut a pickguard for you. If you send them the pickguard + the plates, I'm sure they can get one that fits perfectly. PERSONALLY I would keep the slide switches at the bottom for Series/Parallel for each pickup and Treble Cut, and then put the three-way at the Les Paul position.

You really can't do better than this.

• Members

If I found a mindblowingly obvious difference between the best of Squiers and best of Fenders, I probably would mind, but I really can't.

Wow...how much nerve damage did you actually sustain and did you post a thread detailing the accident that you were in?

• Members

No...that's not it...I am so nitpickey that I won't even email THEM!

Wow...how much nerve damage did you actually sustain and did you post a thread detailing the accident that you were in?

Heh, now that's nitpickey! Also, honeyiscool {censored}ing loves Squiers, you won't talk him out of it.

• Members

My favorite guitars are Fender Mustangs, but I love Jaguars in theory.

When it comes to Strats, I kind of barely tolerate those things yet I have six Strat-type guitars. Urghhh.

I think buying Squier Strat is like my way of saying I don't respect Strats, but really I do love my Strats.

• Members
Jaguar Special HH, and then just cut a Blacktop-style pickguard to cover up the chrome, put a three way switch in either the top or the bottom cavity. There are plenty of people who can cut a pickguard for you. If you send them the pickguard + the plates, I'm sure they can get one that fits perfectly. PERSONALLY I would keep the slide switches at the bottom for Series/Parallel for each pickup and Treble Cut, and then put the three-way at the Les Paul position.

Yeah. If you really need the 2v2t in an LP configuration I quess you could re-rout the control cavity to be more like the tele deluxe - and maybe take a pickguard clue from there as well.
0148300506_frt_wmd_001.jpg
0137702306_frt_wmd_001.jpg

• Members

I was going to suggest something similar. The Jaguar HH sounds like it's essentially the setup you want, then just have someone make you a custom pickguard that covers everything. I'm sure Pickguardian would cut that guard for you.

You could also go for the HH Blacktop Jaguar and do something similar, though that one doesn't have the standard Jaguar controls. (just saw that Preacher beat me to it in suggesting the Blacktop Jag. :) )

• Members

Good post. A lot of truth in that.

• Members
Yeah, I basically want a Les Paul that loos like a Jagua
r. 24" scale, dual HBs, vol, tone, switch. But again, I'm kinda thinking about a Charvel now. I just have mad Fender gas.

You mean one of these? :cop:
photo_000624_06.jpg

Fender GAS eh?
Well, Fender Japan make this:
10817-fender-jaguar-hh-black-rosewood-la

Also, I have a feeling you might dig this:
2.jpg

Those blacktop jags are cool in theory but i havent played one ive liked, plus theyre really heavy for some reason :idk:

Archived