Which Fender Strat is closest to Buddy Holly's

fuzztone

• Members

Which production or Custom Shop strats look and sound similar to the ones that Buddy played? Is the the 57 AVRI similar? It doesn't have be perfect. Just a good strat that looks and sounds like Buddy's.

[video=youtube;WQiIMuOKIzY]

Or maybe I should get a tele instead,lol

[video=youtube;HHaK7tYTFgg]

Too bad the one I own has a maple fretboard.

casecandy2-1.jpg

• Members

Probably a custom shop reissue 58 strat is the closest. Of course, you will not get the real deal from anyone. Even fender doesn't use the original stuff from 58, like bakelite plastic and such. I bet a standard 57 reissue would be pretty darn close. Heck, any strat with a maple board and vintage 50's style pickups will get you in the ballpark.

• Members

The Custom SHop 54 pickups in whatever Strat you choose will do the trick.

Yep. I go with a 50th Anniversary Am Series. Nice figured ash in 2-tone burst, maple neck and the '54 pickups.

• Members

You just want the look? Or the specs as well.

Holly's had five Starts, a '55, a '57, and three '58's. The first two were stolen. The '58's had features that are more commonly associated with the rosewood-fingerboarded models from '59 and later...three-tone sunburst finishes and a C neck. One can assume the earlier models were two-tone 'bursts with some sort of V shape, the '55 may have even been ash (the rest were alder).

I agree of the CS54 pickups, they really are "Buddy Holly in a box" tonewise.

• Members

Yep. I go with a 50th Anniversary Am Series. Nice figured ash in 2-tone burst, maple neck and the '54 pickups.

The CS 54 have a calibrated bridge pickup. Maybe just use 3 neck 54 neck pickupps.

• Members

all 3 of those pups sound damn good. i especially liked having the bridge pup wired to a tone pot.

Sure they sound great but Buddy never had a chance to play anything like that. On those old strats if there was one hotter wound pickup it was uaually put in the neck postion back then.

Bunch of women sitting at winding machines smoking cigs and gabbing there was most likely quite a range on puckups.

• Members

Sure they sound great but Buddy never had a chance to play anything like that. On those old strats if there was one hotter wound pickup it was uaually put in the neck postion back then.

Bunch of women sitting at winding machines smoking cigs and gabbing there was most likely quite a range on puckups.

I think placement was random back then. So one or more of Buddy's could have been hotter in the bridge. Or not. Silly to go out of your way to 'put order' on something that in all likelihood didn't have any.

I suppose you could do some computer analysis on the recording of Peggy Sue and measure noise floor of the 'solo' vs. the verses, if you got really anal about it.

• Members

The hotter bridge in the CS54 set really isn't hot. It's just slightly more output than the neck/middle (which are the exactly the same PU), which helps balance it's output in relation to the others. The CS54's are clean PU's, even the bridge PU isn't up to the task of overdriving an amp. What I love about them is they are truly bell-like in their attack of the note, the cleanly roll off at the highs with no sign of rasp or distortion...just a full, round tone.

And, I repeat, they really are Buddy Holly "tone in a box". Not a pickup I would recommend for rock, or hotter blues, they are for those who love that '50's/early '60's clean Strat clean...Buddy Holly...Beach Boys, etc.

Archived