Does anyone play single coils with 500k pots?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Yes I actually use 500k pots for master volume and master tone in my Strat that has three Rose Mariposa pickups. It works extremely well because these pickups seem to have a good amount of low end and slightly reduced mids. The high end is not harsh at all but is nice and clear.

IMO if you have to drop down to 250k pots to reduce the high end of your pickups, the pickups aren't right to begin with. For example my Fender Tex Mex are harsh even with 250k pots, just not the right pickups for me.

• Members

Bryan from bg pups suggests 500k for his P90's type pups.

I used 500ks with his H90s and they work great. I usually keep them rolled off a hair, but it's nice to have the extra bite if you need it. The bridge actually does an almost fat tele-ish twang with that setup. :thu:

With strat types though I'd go with 250s because they don't have the fullness of something like a p90.

• Members

I have some GFS hot alnicos in my strat that sounded kinda meh with 300K's. I went with some 500's and it woke them right up. I also went linear taper for the tone controls with an audio for the volume. I have a lot better response from the tone controls in this geetar.

BTW I used the linears because I had taken them out of a customer git a few years ago. Can't beat the price.

• Members

Then I expect you're guitar will burst into flames at any moment
:)

I've never seen anything that mentions P90's in any form getting anything but 500k pots. With my hot alnicos I didn't something really weird when I used 500's. I read the manufacturer's reccomendations.

I.E. if all else fails read the instructions. I saw another blurb recently that mentioned using linear taper for tone and 500's for any hot alnico pups. I suspect many people who dis a particular pup didn't try what the manufacturer suggests before just saying the pup is trash.

• Members

I've never seen anything that mentions P90's in any form getting anything but 500k pots.
With my hot alnicos I didn't something really weird when I used 500's. I read the manufacturer's reccomendations.

I.E. if all else fails read the instructions. I saw another blurb recently that mentioned using linear taper for tone and 500's for any hot alnico pups. I suspect many people who dis a particular pup didn't try what the manufacturer suggests before just saying the pup is trash.

Gibson regularly uses 300ks with theirs. I personally think it's a mistake.

• Members

I've never seen anything that mentions P90's in any form getting anything but 500k pots. With my hot alnicos I didn't something really weird when I used 500's. I read the manufacturer's reccomendations.

Well, the 250k recommendation for BG Strat 90s came straight from Bryan. My inclination would have been 500k pots but I think I'll take the pickup builders word for it in regards to using 250k.

• Members

Well, the 250k recommendation for BG Strat 90s came straight from Bryan. My inclination would have been 500k pots but I think I'll take the pickup builders word for it in regards to using 250k.

The best starting point is always what the manufacturer recommends. Funny how that works. And Mrbrown, I forgot about the Gibby's. I put some 500K's in one a while back for a customer. Woke the damn thing right up.

Archived