Fed up of shred bashing?

Knottyhed

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Agreed.

However, too often "shred" is reserved as a term of derision for examples of soulless playing that are self-fulfilling (and useless) arguments.

"shred" has become emotionally loaded, a sort of n-word or c-word in certain camps. Some see the enitre world as divided into "shred" and "flog", akin to those who uselessly divide rhythm and lead playing.

Saying "I'm a shredder" amounts to painting a target on one's own back.

That doesn't mean that playing fast and technically well is intrinsically wrong.

this much is obvious, otherwise there wouldnt be threads like this or the opposite of this.

im just pointing out how people have misplaced anger.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

AMEN BROTHER:thu:

I just noticed you said the same thing while I was typing :thu:

The word "virtuoso" refers to a musician who has exceptional command of an instrument. Hence the freedom to express whatever he wants, however he wants.

I don't see how that can make them "soulless." They can choose to be, however :)

• Members

I don't think shredding is wrong. It's cool to be able to shred. I don't master it properly, but I practice to do so. But there's a difference between being able to do it, and use it moderately, and just play as fast as possible all the time. If your music is only playing as fast as you can with some lyrics over it to make it look like a song I think you're doing the wrong thing, but shredding is very cool when used correctly.

• Members

Originally posted by ColourOfFire

I don't think shredding is wrong. It's cool to be able to shred. I don't master it properly, but I practice to do so. But there's a difference between being able to do it, and use it moderately, and just play as fast as possible all the time. If your music is only playing as fast as you can with some lyrics over it to make it look like a song I think you're doing the wrong thing, but shredding is very cool when used correctly.

But thats the great thing about music, its that you can do that. There really are no limits. There are bands that cover the whole range, from simple singer-songwriter music, all the way to over the top extreme shred, and people can choose to listen to whichever they want. There are obviously some people who like the stuff because these guys sell records and get people coming to their shows. So whats wrong with that????

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

why would anyone listen to music they dont like?

how can you have the time to complain about {censored}? that means you must spend a fair amount of time doing unnecessary things you dont like.

makes me laugh.

Exactly, by that reasoning I should start a thread bashing Santana (you know I love santana though:love: ) because he doesnt play enough brutal downtuned riffs, I mean sure soulfull latin music inspired rock fusion is great and all. However it should be used in moderation, because too much of it has no emotion and is boring. So he should stop doing so much of that tastefull soloing and add some more C# downtuned brutal riffs:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Exactly, by that reasoning I should start a thread bashing Santana (you know I love santana though:love: ) because he doesnt play enough brutal downtuned riffs, I mean sure soulfull latin music inspired rock fusion is great and all. However it should be used in moderation, because too much of it has no emotion and is boring. So he should stop doing so much of that tastefull soloing and add some more C# downtuned brutal riffs:rolleyes:

for real, thats all he {censored}in does. i cant stand it.

• Members

in addition to jealousy, i see alot of this being a generational divide, like a midlife crisis. "if its not like it was when i was a kid (the 60's/70's) then its invalid". Not to stereotype, but the only people ive ever heard really bash (read stereotype) shredding as completely invalid are old white men, who are stereotyped as being soulless themselves.

thats kinda deep to me. people assume the blues is so soulful, but it would be nothing without the personal experiences of its creators, which were societal marginalization, the denial of basic human rights, abject poverty, racialized hatred and terrorism, addiction, abuse, and general universal hardship. our modern world reflects very little of that. those experiences are present in todays society, but at no where near the intensity of the past. how so then could a person having never experienced those things play with emotional content in a style that chronicles that historial experience?

how egotistical is it to say "i play with soul"? to me that is the "wank" part of the whole shred bashing argument. not the guitarists who try to play the best they can, but the guitarists who are straight up feeling themselves for clinging to a style they don't fully understand.

• Members

Originally posted by maxnew40

Just remember that the average person will never understand the difference between shred and normal playing. You might impress another musicain but your average music listener doesn't give a damn how many notes you can play per second. If the song isn't good and catchy no amount of over the top playing can fix it.

It is great to be able to play the best you can, just don't expect regular people to give a crap.

100% correct.

Still, for guitar players to eschew technical excellence is stupid, and making excuses won't cover up their lack of dedication to the instrument.

• Members

Originally posted by wfranklin

in addition to jealousy, i see alot of this being a generational divide, like a midlife crisis. "if its not like it was when i was a kid (the 60's/70's) then its invalid". Not to stereotype, but the only people ive ever heard really bash (read stereotype) shredding as completely invalid are old white men, who are stereotyped as being soulless themselves.

thats kinda deep to me. people assume the blues is so soulful, but it would be nothing without the personal experiences of its creators, which were societal marginalization, the denial of basic human rights, abject poverty, racialized hatred and terrorism, addiction, abuse, and general universal hardship. our modern world reflects very little of that. those experiences are present in todays society, but at no where near the intensity of the past. how so then could a person having never experienced those things play with emotional content in a style that chronicles that historial experience?

how egotistical is it to say "i play with soul"? to me that is the "wank" part of the whole shred bashing argument. not the guitarists who try to play the best they can, but the guitarists who are straight up feeling themselves for clinging to a style they don't fully understand.

i love you

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

the technique is a separate issue from style. people think shred is some type of music. its simply a technique.

jazz guys can shred. country guys can shred. classical guys can shred.

This is an excellent point. You don't hear guys putting down country players for being able to play a mile a minute up and down the fretboard.

• Members

Originally posted by Knottyhed

What the hell is wrong with wanting to attain a virtuoso level of skill on the guitar?

Nothing, BUT playing your scales as fast as you can does not make you a virtuoso.

To be a virtuoso you need to master your instrument in all styles and techinques.

That means you need to be able to play the sickest chord changes and then be able solo over that same set of changes.

You need to be able to do this on any guitar. Not just with an Ibanez over a saturated distortion tone and delay. Anyone can sound like a shredder this way. You need to be able to do it all clean.

I get the feeling you think speed makes you a virtuoso. Hell speed doesnt even make you a good player. Look at Micheal Angelo, I took a clinic years ago from this guy. He is so high on himself and plays so fast it sounds like nintendo. Not very musical to my ears.

Yet he insited that his self proclaimed title of being the fastest guitarist on earth made him one of the greats. Not so. His playing sounded terrible and he spent too much time straightening his wig out between tunes.

If you want to shred fine, but I think you are miss guided thinking the more you shred the faster you'll become a virtuoso. Sorry just aint gonna happen. But keep practicing and learning your instrument and in time you may actually figure out what makes a good player.

• Members

It has always puzzled me why playing fast and having great skill in classical, country, bluegrass, jazz is always positive but in rock it's frowned upon.

Though bluegrass mandolin players almost always play fast. Banjo would be boring as hell if they weren't picking the hell out of it constantly.

The shred bashing comes from people who can't do it or are to lazy to aquire the skill.

It's BS to say the average listener doesn't know the difference between fast and slow playing. You can witness their appreciation in the genres I mentioned before, after a guy will play a fast passage they will applaud. In a way, it's the idiot way of showing off BECAUSE the audience gets it so easily.

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

It has always puzzled me why playing fast in classical, country, bluegrass, jazz is always positive but in rock it's frowned upon.

Though bluegrass mandolin players almost always play fast. Banjo would be boring as hell if they weren't picking the hell out of it constantly.

The shred bashing comes from people who can't do it or are to lazy to aquire the skill.

Just because you play fast doesnt mean you have skills or that it sounds good.

I think people bash it in rock because its easy to sound like you are playing fast with the distortion cranked and a delay running. It takes a very skilled player to take a fast run and make it interesting. Thats something that is lacking in rock. In country and bluegrass the speed pickers are playing clean and you can hear every note that is played.

In a lot of the fast rock stuff, note seperation is lost in all the distortion and leggato licks.

A good test to see if you are a truely gifted fast player is to play your shred on an acoustic guitar or a totally clean tele and see if you sound as "good" as you think you are with the distortion cranked. If you don't sound as good you need more practice and thats why people bash rockers for thinking they are fast.

• Members

Originally posted by wfranklin

those experiences are present in todays society, but at no where near the intensity of the past. how so then could a person having never experienced those things play with emotional content in a style that chronicles that historial experience?

Yes, and the reverse is true as well. Nobody is "soulless." Everyone had their experiences, good and bad. Except perhaps very young children.

Archived