Anyone tried this pre-wired pickguard for Strat?

elsupermanny14

• Members

So I have been looking around for a decent set of cheap Strat pickups. I tried the GFS bargain pre-wired pickguard a year ago and I was upset when they showed up with 500k pots. I asked them and found out all of their bargain priced pre-wired pickguards come with 500k pots?

I was searching around last night and come upon DragonFire Guitars. They have a bargain priced pre-wired pickguard for $40 with alnico magnets and 250k pots. They even let you pick your guard color and everything! Check them out:

http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/product_info.php?cPath=35_90&products_id=583

That is the cheapest price I have seen on a loaded pickguard like that. Does anyone have any experience with them? I would really like to know if anyone has any experience. These are such a deal I don't know if I can pass them up.

• Members

I haven't tried that particular one, but one of my guitars is loaded with a pre-wired Dragonfire pickguard, and it rocks the house. The guitar itself isn't much, but the pickups really cook.

Are your DragonFire pickups the ceramic magnet or the alnico magnet pickups?

• Members

What's wrong with 500k pots? I almost prefer 500k pots with Strats, which I usually rewire for master tone and volume.

I restored my roommate's Affinity Strat with one of those OEM AlNiCo pickguards from GFS and he was quite happy about it. Whatever. Yesterday he was noodling around on my amp, and I looked over to see what guitar he was playing. Sure enough, he was playing my Strat with the Lace Chrome Domes. Later on, when he was playing Drop D, he had switched to his Affinity Strat. To my shock, it sounded just great. It handled gain very well, and gave a very believable Strat sound. I know that I like my Lace better, but the OEM stuff from GFS is definitely good enough to keep in a guitar.

• Members

What's wrong with 500k pots? I almost prefer 500k pots with Strats, which I usually rewire for master tone and volume.

I restored my roommate's Affinity Strat with one of those OEM AlNiCo pickguards from GFS and he was quite happy about it. Whatever. Yesterday he was noodling around on my amp, and I looked over to see what guitar he was playing. Sure enough, he was playing my Strat with the Lace Chrome Domes. Later on, when he was playing Drop D, he had switched to his Affinity Strat. To my shock, it sounded just great. It handled gain very well, and gave a very believable Strat sound. I know that I like my Lace better, but the OEM stuff from GFS is definitely good enough to keep in a guitar.

Well I had the $35 ceramic one from GFS from before they started selling alnico pre-wired pickguards and to be honest I just did not like it too much. I'm not upset or anything because it was only $35 bucks, but in the end the bridge pickup never made me happy. I'm used to playing a humbucker equipped fat strat and I think jumping to ceramic single coils with 500k pots was probably too drastic of a jump for me. I definitely want something with a little bass in the bridge.

I'm really debating a couple of different pickup options for my black Strat. It's actually a Squier Affinity Strat too. Right now I'm just trying to look around and trying to keep it cheap. This is a "pennies in between the seat cushions" type of guitar haha.

• Members

Well, in that case, I think Dragonfire would suit you well. I've been eyeing their Screamer humbuckers for a while. Specs make it sound like an SH5/SH2 set on a budget, and really, if it gets in the ballpark, I'd be ecstatic. They seem to have some quality stuff.

• Members

no experience with their pickups, but i have one of their necks on my parts Tele and after some sanding and a few coats of clear poly i LOVE it!!! the owner is a bit of a condescending d bag though... but, he shipped quickly and upgraded my tuners from Wilkinson EZ locks to Sperzel type tuners because the Wilky's were out of stock and didn't charge me a dime... so i can over look the tiny bit of arrogance:D

[video=youtube;xMAnAn5ePdA]

Archived