Beatles bass lines are the best

RoboCop00

• Members

I don't know if they are "the best" but as people continue to discover, the Beatles were {censored}ing awesome when it comes to pop/rock songs - there is a LOT going on beneath the surface that will send musicians back to them again and again. :thu: I'm a huge Beatles fan.

• Members

You won't get much argument from me. Bass has been my main instrument for most of the past 30-odd years. McCartney is one of my absolute favorite players. In many ways I am more of a fan of McCartney's bass playing than I am of The Beatles overall.

• Members

I really like some of mccartney's playing. He plays a lot of weird kinda reggae things, like on lucy in the sky with diamonds.

But I think his playing on Something is pretty bad. He just tromped all over George's song. Way too busy. Bass players always love it. But I think he ruined the song.

I think he pushed george around. He even played the guitar solo on Taxman, which people always think is george because it's got that indian vibe.

• Members

I really like some of mccartney's playing. He plays a lot of weird kinda reggae things, like on lucy in the sky with diamonds.

But I think his playing on Something is pretty bad. He just tromped all over George's song. Way too busy. Bass players always love it. But I think he ruined the song.

I think he pushed george around. He even played the guitar solo on Taxman, which people always think is george because it's got that indian vibe.

Interesting idea about "Something." I may be wrong, but I also pictured it being Paul's idea to experiment too much, possibly, by putting that fuzz bass (that I'm not too fond of) in Think For Yourself.

• Members

what the heck,,, i think im going to disagree here..

the whos bass player was light years beyond paul

yes's bass player too...

i would compare paul mc to the stones bass player.. who i cannot remeber the name of..

bill Whyman.. listen to any thing off of Quad.. paul was good.. but he was not near the level or John Entwistle or Chris Squire... so best bass lines? matter of opinion i guess..

• Members

what the heck,,, i think im going to disagree here..

the whos bass player was light years beyond paul

yes's bass player too...

i would compare paul mc to the stones bass player.. who i cannot remeber the name of..

bill Whyman.. listen to any thing off of Quad.. paul was good.. but he was not near the level or John Entwistle or Chris Squire... so best bass lines? matter of opinion i guess..

Apples and Oranges IMO. Squire and Entwistle were playing "lead bass" half the time, which was cool and all, but Paul remained melodic while supporting the the chordal structures in a lovely way. As a bass player myself, there have been lots of great bassists in pop/rock music that have kind of flown under the radar but did amazingly supportive work - Dee Murray comes to mind...

Archived