I'm gonna reconfigure my Strat, and need (you guessed it) PICKUP SUGGESTIONS!

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

So here is my beloved Fender MIM Strat:

DSCN0646.jpg

I got it new in 04. It's my oldest non-bass guitar. Painted it myself and re did the electronics as well.

The P 90 and Tele pickup are a really fantastic combination, but I have no use for those particular tones right now, and I have a Telecaster so I've got good single coil, bridge twang if I need it.

I just got a Charvel So Cal and absolutely love it. I love love love my LP, but Strats feel a little more ergonomic to me and they're what I wanna play primarily. Playing the Charvel after this Strat has been in it's case for years has re-kindled my Strat love, so to speak.

Basically, I wanna covert the above to a suitable backup for my Charvel.

When I'm done it will look something like:

plansforstratty.png

Last night I set it up for 10s, removed two of the five bridge springs (I had five and the claw screwed waaaaaay down to basically make it a hard tail), and got the trem back into operation. Sofa, sogood.

I'm thinking I wanna go HSS instead of HH like on my Charvel. I bought a forumite's used BG Dark bucker, it's in the mail. Anyone whose tried that one and the DiMarzio Tone Zone: I'd love to hear how similar those two are. I plan to try to get em as close as possible.

What I need suggestions for are middle and neck pickups. I would prefer non-rail, single row of pole pieces, hum cancelling ones. Really the only thing that blipped my radar were the DiMarzio injector necks. However, I then watched a Paul Gilbert vid and I'm just not sure about that guy. :lol:

Suggest me a really beefy, neck pickup, and a nice mean middle one, if you please. I absolutely will not pay more than $100 each for them. I juss caint.

My thanks in advance for reading all this crap. :wave:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if you decide to get rid of that hum p-90. Let me know maybe we can do some trading. I got a few things. I am looking for one for a project I have. Thanks.

Word, though it's always tempting to rid the pantry of old gear, I think I'm planning on keeping that guard as is so I can switch back to a sufier config if I want. It's just a GFS mean 90. Cheap, and actually pretty good sounding. Not the most P90 you've ever heard, but more of a really twangy humbucker, or a really beefy strat bridge single coil... however you wanna look at it.

If you need a suitable pickup for cheap, it would be hard to go wrong.

Thanks much for the offer though! :wave:

• Members

Cool & thanks.

Word, though it's always tempting to rid the pantry of old gear, I think I'm planning on keeping that guard as is so I can switch back to a sufier config if I want. It's just a GFS mean 90. Cheap, and actually pretty good sounding. Not the most P90 you've ever heard, but more of a really twangy humbucker, or a really beefy strat bridge single coil... however you wanna look at it.

If you need a suitable pickup for cheap, it would be hard to go wrong.

Thanks much for the offer though!
:wave:

• Members

Yeah on second it's probably not a good idea because you'll have noise-free pickups.

Word.

You were the first I'd heard of to reverse the beck and middles though, and I find myself intrigued. You can still get the middle alone right? Wait... yeah... it'd be with the switch all the way towards the neck huh.

• Members

I've been whipping my backup into shape...this is a stock H/S/S/ guard out of a MIM strat. Only change I plan to make is rewire it for one tone and one volume and remove that top knob (I hate where they put the volume on strats, so I always take that out). Got the loaded guard last weekend off craigslist for $40! :eek:

IMAG0159.jpg

• Members

Word.

You were the first I'd heard of to reverse the beck and middles though, and I find myself intrigued. You can still get the middle alone right? Wait... yeah... it'd be with the switch all the way towards the neck huh.

Yep.

I do this on all my three-pickup guitars except for HSH guitars, where I prefer auto-split.

• Members

Just curious:

How does a Tele neck pickup sound in the middle position, like you have before revamping the Strat?

And what basic sound do you get with the P90 and Tele together?

Many thanks for your op...

As an aside...

I've got a Korean Tele/Squier that I bought for $70 from Sam Ash used with that same Daphne Blue (I think that's what the color is called).

At first I didn't care for the color, but I would never change it now. The main logo on the headstock is actually "Fender" with just a small "Squier" logo on the tip of the headstock.

I've seen the same guitar go for well over $400 on ebay.

And that guitar has the best neck on any guitar I've owned...thin and wide, unlike any other Fender or Squier I've owned...and at $70 bucks, just a great deal.

• Members

Just curious:

How does a Tele neck pickup sound in the middle position, like you have before revamping the Strat?

And what basic sound do you get with the P90 and Tele together?

Many thanks for your op...

Hey no prob.

The tele one alone really sounds great. Now, it's lower output, but it's quite nice. Very icy bluesy type of tone. Works great through any kind of low gain setup. Fat, but always crispy and clear. I might hafta make a little clip before I unscrew everything.

When used together, it's basically a slightly fatter quack setting like the middle and bridge of a strat. Quacky, but not the quackiest you've heard. Like a duck with big balls and a tattoo. :idk:

Hopefully I've painted a helpful picture there.

• Members

You know the So-Cal Charvel's also come with Seymour Duncan JB Humbuckers which sound AMAZING for Strats! You could do the JB in the bridge with Texas Specials in the middle and neck and you would have one bad ass sounding Strat. I have a Screaming Demon with hot single coils in the neck and middle and I think the tone of my guitar is freaking insane.

• Members

Oh I forgot to ask. Is that a Gibson selector switch on the guitar or a different one? I want one of those for my Strat and want one that will fit, has good size to it for gripping it with my hand, and can handle a lot of fast switching abuse.

It's actually just a crappy Allparts box type one. I think the switches they put in SG's would do the trick for ya though.

Like this:

switchcraft_exact_replacement_sg_toggle_

Archived