NGD: 350 dollar gibson day!

metal0822

• Members

picked up my third gibson today. got my mm for 250, my white studio for 600, and now this guy for 350. it took me a couple hours of cleaning up and i kind of wish i started taking photos of before and after, but i took a little bit of pictures of the process. anyways, here they are in order with no explanations.

explorer6.jpg

explorer5.jpg

explorer4.jpg

explorer3.jpg

explorer2.jpg

explorer1.jpg

the fretboard started out as a grimy rusty mess, and the body was covered in stickers, residue, and the stench of spilled beer, but its all clean now :) it also came with one of the brown and pink gibson cases which i have wanted forever. the emghz sounds alright, and the neck is a duncan jazz which sounds great. i have it set up with 11s in eb standard and it plays very slinky, might need 12s:freak: anyhow it sounds really good and with a new bridge pickup (and maybe a black diamond plate pickguard:lol:) it should be a great little axe for 350. also wanted to mention that it has the planet waves clip lok tuners on it and they are way cool. enjoy! family pics later.

• Members

yea i was looking at warmoth and they offer that, but they also offer the black pickguard with a red stripe on the bevel. i think it might fit the vibe a little better. opinions? black diamond plate would be cool but is starting to look expensive and extremely difficult to find. im not sure what to do about pickups, but this will definitely be my metal machine.

• Members

A $350 Gibson Gothic Explorer!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd hit the hell outta that. The Gothic's are Voodoo's and my favorite guitars by far so HAPPY NGD!!

In before the haters talking about how bad Gibson's are and saying that $300 is all they are worth...:rolleyes:

• Members

Dam what a sweet deal, congrats and nice job cleaning it up. What did you use to take the stickers off? I had stupidly put a bunch of stickers on my 1980 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe when i was younger. I managed to get them off using some guitar polish, but it took a long long time and I think you can still see some spots of where the stickers were...

• Members

as far as plans i want a new bridge pickup and a new pickguard. that should really be it, its pretty sweet as is. i was pretty much able to just peel the stickers off, and the ones that left gunk, i just let them soak under some normal guitar polish and rubbed aggressively with a cotton towel a couple of times. the glue will get on it though, so make sure you change surfaces a lot. did i mention part of the reason the deal was so sweet was because it suffered a large crack in the body? it was however repaired by a violin shop, and although it is noticable from a couple feet, it feels solid and there is no sign of finish blending or anything, so that's pretty good.

i found it on craigslist for 400 with the intention of probably talking him down, but when i saw it i wasnt really sure it was even worth that. i just made the sure the neck was straight, the frets were not dimpled (which was difficult when they were completely rusted over) and the repair was solid. rather than that i was taking a bit of a risk, but not much considering the case alone could probably bring in about 150. it also has a couple chunks taken out of the back and one deep scratch on the back as well. it has major character and i could care less if i got another ding in it, which is kinda nice for a change. and im kind of ashamed to say it, but i think it sounds better than my les paul :/

Archived