I saw this clip ...and now I need to know about Fuzz!

nuke_diver

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love fuzz pedals. For me, I use them mostly for heavy riff-based music like the Black Keys, White Stripes. And for soloing like Hendrix stuff. I don't use them for a whole song, I would stomp on it when it's time for the riff or solo.

Here's an example from the Black Keys of how I use it (note how he first stomps on it at around 0:09):

I have a Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, EHX Big Muff PI, MJM Britbender, EHX Double Muff (mix of fuzz and overdrive) and DOD FX-52 Classic Fuzz. My favorite tone-wise is probably the Fuzz Face, but I like how the Big Muff and DOD give me more fuzz control options (even though they don't clean up like a Fuzz Face) with their tone knobs.

Oh and single coils work better with most fuzz pedals, even though they give off more feedback, the tone is more defined.

For me, I need both fuzz and regular overdrive/distortion... they sound so different that I need both for my music. Fuzz for special over-the-top riffing and solos, and OD/distortion for more regular playing.

• Members

Never heard that band before, but I really like it. Gonna check out more of their stuff on youtube. :thu:

Just read a little about them... they seem to have a connection with the band Love and Arthur Lee... maybe that's why I like their sound (I'm an Arthur Lee/Love fan).

• Members

Thanks guys (I love that Black Keys song Bling...good choice for the demo of fuzz.

I'm getting to see the difference between distortion and fuzz and now I have fuzz gas...:facepalm:

But I just joined the evil empire (bought an Ipad) so it might be a while before I spring for a fuzz so I'll keep listening/learning :thu:

• Members

Hey Nuke!

I use a little from time to time, we do a couple of Hendrix songs and it's awesome for that (I do have to use a booster in the band, fuzz can get lost), just have a Dunlop Hendrix JH-2 and a Dano Cool Cat right now. I really want a Pharoah, love all the clips I've seen of that. I like a single -coil with the volume backed off for chords.....

• Members

Yeah they were like the American Yardbirds...Get Randy Holden Early Works 64-67 if you can find it. His other group The Fender IV were pioneers of early surf.

Never heard that band before, but I really like it. Gonna check out more of their stuff on youtube.
:thu:

Just read a little about them... they seem to have a connection with the band Love and Arthur Lee... maybe that's why I like their sound (I'm an Arthur Lee/Love fan).

• Members
Yeah they were like the American Yardbirds...Get Randy Holden Early Works 64-67 if you can find it. His other group The Fender IV were pioneers of early surf.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I'm going to check that out for sure. Sounds like I'll like it.

• Members

Welcome to the dark side.

I just got a boss FZ-2 to join the fuzz family, which now consists of a Swollen Pickle MKII, Vexter Fuzz Factory, and a Lovetone Big Cheese Clone. All that covers a lot of ground, but one can never have too many fuzz pedals:)

• Members

Hope you can get your hands on a fuzz pedal one day. There's so many to choose from... I learned a bit about fuzz in the Effects forum a while back.

Yeah I found that demo on the Effects forum. I think there will be a fuzz pedal in my future. That often is the result of me listening to something and going "wow that sounds amazing"

I have both the Transatlantic 15 and the Flashback delay because of that ...and this is the same level of infatuation :eek:

• Members

My biggest requirement when it comes to fuzz pedals is that it cuts through in a live mix. If you play with more than one guitar, most of the time a fuzz doesn't have enough midrange to it, and you'll sorta disappear. The fuzz in the vid below has been my main unit for the last two or three years because it DOES cut through.

Still, I badly want some sort of Univox Superfuzz-ish thing. Could be quite fun. Pete seemed to dig it.

• Members

It isn't the pedal... it's Andy. He makes all things sound amazing.

Yes he does, but the pedal is pretty grand as well. It's hugely loud, so I can't ever really raise the Level above 9:00 or so, but it's a very nice Muff-ish fuzz with some roughness and velcro-y-ness depending on how you set the controls. Gets you right into Robert Fripp sounds, which I love.

• Members

Yeah I found that demo on the Effects forum. I think there will be a fuzz pedal in my future. That often is the result of me listening to something and going "wow that sounds amazing"

I have both the Transatlantic 15 and the Flashback delay because of that ...and this is the same level of infatuation
:eek:

Yeah the thing about fuzz is that each pedal can sound so different... there's so many different kinds that you can become obsessed with it. I'm terribly in love with fuzz and the only thing stopping me from buying more pedals is I'm broke. But when I get more money, two fuzz pedals I want are the Ox Fuzz and Hoof Fuzz (haha sounds like I have a cattle fetish or something).

• Members

theres a great interview with RH on Surfguitar 101 where he talks about touring with the Fender IV and how they had not eaten in like 3 days and then they somehow end up at a Christmas Feast...and he talks about playing with the Rolling Stones and thats the first time he saw anyone use showman amps (loud!)

I'll check him out. It's cool, looks like he was in Blue Cheer too. Blue Cheer was another group that had some sweet fuzz sounds.

Yeah the thing about fuzz is that each pedal can sound so different... there's so many different kinds that you can become obsessed with it. I'm terribly in love with fuzz and the only thing stopping me from buying more pedals is I'm broke. But when I get more money, two fuzz pedals I want are the Ox Fuzz and Hoof Fuzz (haha sounds like I have a cattle fetish or something).

• Members

Yes he does, but the pedal is pretty grand as well. It's hugely loud, so I can't ever really raise the Level above 9:00 or so, but it's a very nice Muff-ish fuzz with some roughness and velcro-y-ness depending on how you set the controls. Gets you right into Robert Fripp sounds, which I love.

Good players can make bad gear sound good bad players can make good gear sound bad...I am in the latter category. Still you get an idea of what is possible with the pedal from PGS as well as a bunch of other clips I've heard. I am a bit concerned that it is loud. I don't play out and play for fun and while I can play louder sometimes I don't play loud very often. If it needs volume to sound good it probably isnt for me

Archived