I saw this clip ...and now I need to know about Fuzz!

nuke_diver

• Members

My biggest requirement when it comes to fuzz pedals is that it cuts through in a live mix. If you play with more than one guitar, most of the time a fuzz doesn't have enough midrange to it, and you'll sorta disappear. The fuzz in the vid below has been my main unit for the last two or three years because it DOES cut through.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Fuzz is not one universal thing - there are many different ways to make it happen. Heck, Devi has dozens of ways to make it happen.

Cutting through in a mix was a BIG concern for us while we've worked on the Olympia.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah the thing about fuzz is that each pedal can sound so different... there's so many different kinds...

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Just like different amps have different distortion properties, dirt boxes each have their own properties. The Big Muff, Fuzz Face, and Tone Bender are all fuzz pedals (and archetypes for today's fuzz pedals). But they all sound different. So saying that "fuzz pedals sound mushy on chords" (Jelloman, earlier in this thread) isn't quite true. That's like saying all clean tones are exactly the same. We know they're not.

The fuzz I've been digging most lately is a Mojo Hand Colossus. It's a "Civil War" Big Muff variant. And it's about 180 degrees from my ThroBak sToneBender (which if you're looking for Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page tones, this is your pedal).

Archived