Best Ash strats in the $300-$800 range?

grunge782

• Members

I'm looking to find an Ash strat in the $300-$800 range that has the following-

- very smooth tremolo (looking for the American Strat styled studs instead of 6 screws)

- Thin maple neck

- Maple Fretboard

- Glossy finish on the neck

- Not prone to fret buzz issues, has a good nut installed

- H/S/S or S/S/S is fine

I also want to be able to try it out somewhere or easily return it (used is fine if I have an option of returning it or trying it out first), I went through a real pain with one I ordered custom. What are your guys suggestions?

• Members

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I just bought an american standard strat in sienna burst for 750 off of ebay. the body is all ash, guitar is awesome! (see NGD thread)

but e-bay obviously you're not going to have the option to try before you buy. My theory with that though was I got a fair enough deal where I could re-list it or put it up on craigslist and not lose money. E-bay gives you the option to find a more distinct guitar, I found myself getting really picky and that really negated craigslist for me. Everyone had a black american with rosewood

• Members

Have
build you one. Granted, you can't try it first. But his work is top notch. I have one of his ash Teles and I absolutely love it.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. If you don't care about having a fender shaped headstock and want to be able to have it built with the parts of your choosing you would be very hard pressed to find a better deal. For my upcoming build a Warmoth build would have run me at least $300-400 more and I'd have to do all the assembly myself. And even using a mighty mite neck/body like he does I'd be looking at prettty much the exact same price if I ordered all the parts myself and again did all the work myself.

• Members

Have
Steve Benford
build you one. Granted, you can't try it first. But his work is top notch. I have one of his ash Teles and I absolutely love it.

This would be my suggestion as well.

I bought almost everything used, but I had less than $350 in this Allparts jobbie including a used Seth Lover pickup.

DSC_3742a1.jpg

• Members

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. If you don't care about having a fender shaped headstock and want to be able to have it built with the parts of your choosing you would be very hard pressed to find a better deal. For my upcoming build a Warmoth build would have run me at least $300-400 more and I'd have to do all the assembly myself. And even using a mighty mite neck/body like he does I'd be looking at prettty much the exact same price if I ordered all the parts myself and again did all the work myself.

Benford was the guy I had issues with when I bought my custom. I'm not going that route again...

• Members

Benford was the guy I had issues with when I bought my custom. I'm not going that route again...

Hmm. that has me curious ,what were the problems you had? When I placed my order I looked around a bit and couldn't find any negative statements. So far he's been great to work with but we're still waiting on my BG pups so I don't have the guitar in hand yet to have any first hand knowledge of the end result but I'm extremely optimistic based on all the great things I've heard.

• Members

Hmm. that has me curious ,what were the problems you had? When I placed my order I looked around a bit and couldn't find any negative statements. So far he's been great to work with but we're still waiting on my BG pups so I don't have the guitar in hand yet to have any first hand knowledge of the end result but I'm extremely optimistic based on all the great things I've heard.

He's a great guy and the strat SOUNDED excellent, however when I recieved it it had a good bit of buzzing. I talked to him and he even payed for shipping to have it sent back to his shop to be checked out. He said he couldn't find much buzzing, but sent the strat back before I could even email him specifically about where the issues were. It might be that my playing style is harder than his, but I know my other guitars didn't buzz like that one. Beyond that, the neck was just too thick for me and I wasn't into that kind of drier finish.

I'd just prefer to have an option of returning and/or trying out the guitar first before I buy.

• Members

I'd just prefer to have an option of returning and/or trying out the guitar first before I buy.

Totally understandable. I'm hoping that the neck works for me. It seems to be about the same profile as my CP Strat so I imagine it will work out pretty well. Unfortunately there are no guitars on the market that had the specs I was looking for (especially for that price) so I figure worst case is I end up having to get a different neck.

• Members

Hrmm... definitely sounds like more of a setup issue than a builder/quality issue.

Different people DEFINITELY have different playing styles, thus different requirements for setup. Not just preferences, but different requirements. :idk:

I'm curious about your mention of the 'drier finish'. What exactly do you mean?

• Members

Hrmm... definitely sounds like more of a setup issue than a builder/quality issue.

Different people DEFINITELY have different playing styles, thus different requirements for setup. Not just preferences, but different requirements.
:idk:

I'm curious about your mention of the 'drier finish'. What exactly do you mean?

By drier I mean I usually like a glossy, yellower finish on my strat necks.

• Members

I also want to be able to try it out somewhere or easily return it (used is fine if I have an option of returning it or trying it out first), I went through a real pain with one I ordered custom. What are your guys suggestions?

Don't buy an ash strat would be my suggestion. Alder generally has a warmer deeper tone unless you find a particularly good piece of ash which is not that common in the price range you are suggesting. But if you're set on ash, at least go up to a used American Standard. I have one that is an American Deluxe and even it is brighter and sharper sounding than I like. Since it's a Deluxe, I tend to engage the S-1 switching to give the guitar more depth of tone. But OTOH, my stepson is quite happy with the Sienna Am. Std (ash) strat we bought him.

But I'd suggest getting a partcaster where the body was a select bit of ash. It's important IMO to get a lighter body with ash and so many of the affordable models are very heavy and dense northern ash. :p

• Members

Don't buy an ash strat would be my suggestion. Alder generally has a warmer deeper tone unless you find a particularly good piece of ash which is not that common in the price range you are suggesting. But if you're set on ash, at least go up to a used American Standard. I have one that is an American Deluxe and even it is brighter and sharper sounding than I like. Since it's a Deluxe, I tend to engage the S-1 switching to give the guitar more depth of tone. But OTOH, my stepson is quite happy with the Sienna Am. Std (ash) strat we bought him.

But I'd suggest getting a partcaster where the body was a select bit of ash. It's important IMO to get a lighter body with ash and so many of the affordable models are very heavy and dense northern ash.
:p

Northern or Hard Ash can be very bright. And Fender doesn't spec Swamp Ash (Southern Ash), only "Select Ash," so they are all over the map. Swamp Ash is harder to get in the kind of tens of thousands of body blanks Fender needs to use. G&L has been knowingly hoarding Swamp Ash with their eyes on it getting harder to get in bulk at the quality they want.

• Members

If you still have the Benford and like it other than the finish on the neck, and if it's a standard satin poly finish, you can get a reasonably glossy finish by using some compound and a wheel. If you don't have one, perhaps one of your friends or family members do. If they don't, then a couple hours of very gentle wet sanding with 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit paper will get you pretty close. I also much prefer glossy necks and I've done this on a couple Fender guitars that came with satin necks. Just the back of the neck, not the fretboard or the front or back of the headstock.

• Members

If you still have the Benford and like it other than the finish on the neck, and if it's a standard satin poly finish, you can get a reasonably glossy finish by using some compound and a wheel. If you don't have one, perhaps one of your friends or family members do. If they don't, then a couple hours of very gentle wet sanding with 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit paper will get you pretty close. I also much prefer glossy necks and I've done this on a couple Fender guitars that came with satin necks. Just the back of the neck, not the fretboard or the front or back of the headstock.

The Benford is actually gone, it just wasn't worth it to me despite its good tone. That is a very good idea about polishing the finish though, however I also like a pretty glossy fretboard as well.

• Members

Check this out for 769 delivered. It's alder but still nice.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2816528-Fender-American-Standard-Stratocaster-Olympic-White-Maple-Board-769-shipped

That looks awesome. However, it would be a month or so before I would buy a guitar in that price range and would like some way of testing/returning. Thanks for the find though, if its still around in a month I'll remember that as an option.

As stupid as this may have been, I came upon this and went ahead and decided to give this one a shot :facepalm:-

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Cort-G260-OPN-p/cort-g260-opn.htm

I do have a return policy, or else I never would have gone for it :lol:. To its credit though, I've actually been pretty impressed with some Korean guitars and the specs pretty much fit the bill (besides the neck finish, but I'll see how that is when it arrives). Wilkinson bridge, graph tech nut and locking tuners along with a humbucker bridge pickup with a coil tap. Pickups aren't that great, but I replace the majority of stock pickups I get. If it sounds too thin because the swamp ash isn't a good cut, I'll ship it back :idk:.

Archived