Highest quality Korean-made guitars?

Goofball Jones

• Members

I've had six Korean guitars over the years, and here's how I'd rank them for general quality:

Schecter C-1 Elite

B.C. Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Epiphone Korina Flying V (made by Unsung)

Epiphone Sheraton II (made by Samick)

Agile Valkyrie II

Epiphone Korina Explorer (made by Saien? Serial # started with an I)

I haven't played some of the brands mentioned in this thread, but based on my experience with those guitars, I consider "Made in Korea" to be a good thing, a desirable characteristic in a guitar. Usually it means a lot of quality for not a lot of money. My least-favorite Korean guitar (the Explorer) was still a good, solid guitar.

For a long time, the Korean builders were making guitars for sale under other brand names, which I think held back Korean instruments when it came to building their reputation. A generation earlier, when Japanese guitars were moving up in quality to rival the big names, they were being built by and sold under their own corporate names, or at least under unique brands, and nobody involved in selling them had any interest in making sure they didn't compete with the real deal back home. So Ibanez, Yamaha, ESP, etc. were able to develop reputations for quality. But Korean-built Epiphones, for instance, were never going to be allowed to really compete with "real" Gibsons. They were built down to a price point. When most of the guitars you make are sold a somebody else's lower line of instruments, it's an uphill battle to make a name for quality. I think they're doing it, but it has taken a long time.

And, for the most part Korean-built guitars are not sold under the builders' names, which also hampers building a reputation. Again using the analogy of Japan, consider how Ibanez and Yamaha have long had reputations for making top-level instruments, but only in recent years has Matsumoku, which built great instruments but under other names, started to get the same level of respect, and still lots of people don't really appreciate them.

It seems that a lot of the companies that used to have their lower-level guitars built in Korea are now having them built in China or Indonesia. So I wonder what the Korean industry is going to do now---hopefully they will do something to establish their own brands, to start earning the respect that I think they deserve.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

altho not a crowd favorite Washburn had some very nicely made guitars at the Korean Samick factory.

I'm not so sure that plant is closed. the "Greg Bennett" line still claims to be made there as of 2009.

• Members

I'm pretty much done modding my MIK Hamer SATF, I really love this guitar and can hardly put it down. Ripped the pickups and pots and switch out and put in.... Vintage Vibe HSP90A pickups PAF gain, RS pots, CTS switch and a Jensen PIO tone cap. It's all straight, solid and fretbuzz free and sounds like a million bucks.

H7.jpg

I love this guitar....:love:

• Members

Dean Hardtail, Epiphone (if any are made in Korea anymore), Washburn, Michael Kelly, Ibanez (plenty more expensive, but not sure where they are all made), Schecter, etc. These have models above and below the prices of the PRS Se's.

PRS are priced right in the middle of the Korean brands. Maybe high compared to most Agile. The pre-custom ones were priced a bit better, but for maple "caps", they are priced right there.

I have to admit that the Dean Hardtails are very nice for the money. I just wish I didn't find them so ugly.

really? i find the hardtail to be a strange mixture of a PRS and a les paul. this isn't mine, but sure is beautiful

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

• Members

My MIK Dean Leslie West Standard is absolutely awe inspiring. My Hardtail is a USA Dean in Satin Walnut.

I am VERY interested in a Soltero. I hope that the neck profile is similar to my 'Leslie', but I'll wager that if not, it's still amazing.

• Members

korean made junk food is completely full of win.

seriously, nobody does junk food like the koreans.

just take a look at this

20080204-colpopmain.jpg

Freak-In Genius!

Whoever came-up with that idea deserves to be the next "Dear Leader"--of the Planet!

• Members

ive not played alot of korean guitars, but of the solid bodies, my agile 3000m is the nicest - this compared to several fenders, prs, and oddly even my epi custom from the same factory. second would be a fender lite ash, but now that ive seen a half dozen different ones, they seem to be somewhat variable in fit and finish.

but the nicest guitar ive seen recently with an mik sticker was a bubinga ibanez artcore. amazing guitar and was fairly cheap too.

• Members

My MIK Dean Leslie West Standard is absolutely awe inspiring. My Hardtail is a USA Dean in Satin Walnut.

I am VERY interested in a Soltero. I hope that the neck profile is similar to my 'Leslie', but I'll wager that if not, it's still amazing.

i'm not sure what the dean LW necks are like, but all korean and USA solteros have a V profile neck. the Soltero SL, which is a japanese made soltero, has a round neck. apparently its between the les paul 50 and 60's neck. closer to the 50's though...

• Members

havent read the entire thread but MIK fernandes guitars are great.

2184642720_503308745d_b.jpg

no corners were cut on this guitar. 1pc mahogany back, 1pc 5A quilt top - not veneer mind you. fantastic instrument and was bought for ~ $300.

Archived