Smoke on the Water

• Members

wow I thought everyone in Britain loved Deep Purple? Crazy...

I always laugh when people say everyone plays Smoke, yet very few can/do play the whole song, not like the solo is hard but its great.

Talk about tone in the fingers-Page and Blackmore are great examples of that...(more technique/style though really)

• Members

But yes MiJ is never far from my players, although on that album
Lazy
just blows me away

I have been mesmerized by Lazy since I'm fifteen years old. This has long been the electric guitar solo that, when I'll finally get to be able to play it, I will have reached a milestone. I'm almost there. Still having trouble with the super speedy part in the first main solo. Hoping to be able to record a cover of it before year's end.

• Members

We played smoke on the water as a joke at a recent gig because we will take on any request anyone throws at us. It started as a joke and went over so well, it has become a part of our regular rotation. Same thing happened about a year ago with Freebird. It seems there is a whole new generation out there that is unaware that it is very uncool to play Freebird. And even the older generation that was once aware, was so successful in turning a proposed live performance of Freebird into the greatest musical joke of all time, that because noone would dare play it for decades, either the joke has lost its meaning or crowds are so nostalgically craving the song because it has been so long, that bands are starting to play it again. It has become one of our most popular cover tunes.

Makes me wonder how long it is going to take before playing Nickelback will actually be cool. We are probably still safely a few decades away from that.

• Members
I have been mesmerized by Lazy since I'm fifteen years old. This has long been the electric guitar solo that, when I'll finally get to be able to play it, I will have reached a milestone. I'm almost there. Still having trouble with the super speedy part in the first main solo. Hoping to be able to record a cover of it before year's end.

Plus one. It's almost chicken pickin' in parts and then in the solo he halls ass. Souch a great touch.

• Members

We used to call Blackmore "Ritchie Riff" and the grandfather of heavy metal but, even though he is the master of the simple guitar riff I think his playing is more melodic and soulful than anything else. The entire "Machine Head" album is an example of electric guitar at it's finest (IMO). Check out the intro to "Never Before".

I studied Blackmore by recording the albums on an open reel machine and playing the songs back at half speed (in the same key but an octave lower) and that was the only way I could get "Lazy".

One thing I did not know until DVDs and YouTube was just how much of his playing was done by using a slide. I think that's one of the reasons his stuff is so smooth and it affected my non slide playing in a very profound way.

I've recently started listening to Blackmore's Night and I like it a lot. Some of the songs are a bit cheesy but I still get the spine tingle from the solos. He's definitely tapped into something.

• Members

The solo is good but his wife is better. God bless him for marrying someone 25 years younger and smoking hot.

Ritchie_Blackmore_Candice_Night_Wedding.

She's one pretty lady indeed!! Lucky Richie..and when he pops his clogs n Candice gets all his money then its lucky Candice! :lol:

A version of Smoke On The Water that did make me laugh (in a good way) was Black Swedens version.

• Members

Ritchie demonstrates his riffs from DP days, on an acoustic 12 string, starting with Mandrake Root. Ritchie is nothing if not honest when he admits to nicking (or deriving) a riff or two from the likes of Ricky Nelson, Hendrix and Clapton.

Ritchie Blackmore - Rare Interview (1997) VERY RARE FOOTAGE!

[video=youtube;z7r_4CijBWk]

• Members

Ritchie demonstrates his riffs from DP days, on an acoustic 12 string, starting with Mandrake Root. Ritchie is nothing if not honest when he admits to nicking (or deriving) a riff or two from the likes of Ricky Nelson, Hendrix and Clapton.

Ritchie Blackmore - Rare Interview (1997) VERY RARE FOOTAGE!

Or, in the case of 'Smoke On the Water'...Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz:

The Five Most Famous Musicians Who Are Thieving Bastards

Archived