NGD (1 of 2) - Perfection

_pete_

• Members

After 35 years of playing, I finally figured out what I like in a guitar and found one at the right price.

I dearly love LP's but there is always something about them that fights me. It's either weight, or poor upper fret access, or something else. The Les Paul Axcess is the only LP I felt was exactly right for me. I just didn't want to invest that much in one guitar.

Over the last year I've realized that my PRS CE24 is my go-to guitar. I can play anything on it and while I'm playing I don't find myself thinking about the guitar. The feel is perfect, the controls are perfect, the sound is perfect. It leaves me free to concentrate on my playing. I've had other CE24's and they all felt that way to me.

PRS guitars always agreed with me so I decided to sell my Orville Les Paul Custom (great guitar but not perfect for me) and look for a Singlecut. I had SE Singlecuts which are nice but I wanted the best I can find.

I found this 2003 Singlecut on TGP and oh my freakin' god this is it. It arrived on Monday and I can't stop playing it.

The wide/fat neck is a joy, the weight and balance are perfect, the controls respond amazingly well, and it sounds incredible. The fact that it's a goldtop (my fave) was the deal clincher. I even like that it has birds. I never had a PRS with birds so that was something I wanted.

The pickups are PRS Dragon I's. These are hard to find and are expensive when you do find them. I can see why. They are a hot pup that doesn't act like one. They clean up beautifully and scream when you need them too. I added a couple nickel cover I had because I like the look. I used a ScotchBrite pad on them to give them a brushed look. Also, since they are splittable, I'm going to add a couple push/pulls. Other than that, this one needs nothing else.

You always hear that nothing sounds like a Les Paul. This does. I've had plenty of LP's and this is solidly in the ballpark. For me, this is the Les Paul done right. PRS gets the details right.

I'm beyond happy. Between this guitar and my CE24 I can have any tone I want. They are all in there.

My other guitars are great but I could happily get by with only these two.

Sorry for the rambling, on to the PICS!!

006-4.jpg

010-2.jpg

004-4.jpg

007-4.jpg

019-2.jpg

• Members

Very cool guitar. What year is your CE? Regardless of how much we all pride ourselves on our ears, the vast majority of us wouldn't know the difference between the sound of a PRS Singlecut, a Gibson Les Paul, a Guild Bluesbird, a Heritage 150, or an Epiphone Les Paul (or any other equivalent import LP knockoff) on a record. Obviously when you're playing the thing the differences are huge, but that's why there are the variations on the theme and you use the one that works best for you. I'm totally sold on PRS guitars and have been since I got my 89/90 Custom with 10 top and birds. I had a CE, but it wouldn't ever really stay in tune, and didn't feel right (it was a gift that came from East Coast Music Mall when Ed Roman still ran the place and I have a feeling it was one of his knock-offs). But in '94 I got my CE-22 with a maple top...second only to the Custom for me. Between the two of them all of the bases are pretty much covered, but I still love my ASAT Special, Am Std Strat, and 69 Thinline Reissue (MIJ)...they can inspire a different mentality when I'm playing. The two "Teles" remove the option of the vibrato, so I have to make for that lack of sonic option in other ways.

I'm still deeply lusting a SAS and a DGT gold top would also be sweet, but the one I really wanted that was discontinued and then brought back was the Singlecut Trem. Maybe one day I'll find one, but new instruments (especially EXPENSIVE ones) are pretty much the last thing on my list of priorities. My jealousy is only tempered by the fact that it isn't a Singlecut Trem. Enjoy the hell out of that thing.

• Members

Very cool guitar. What year is your CE? Regardless of how much we all pride ourselves on our ears, the vast majority of us wouldn't know the difference between the sound of a PRS Singlecut, a Gibson Les Paul, a Guild Bluesbird, a Heritage 150, or an Epiphone Les Paul (or any other equivalent import LP knockoff) on a record. Obviously when you're playing the thing the differences are huge, but that's why there are the variations on the theme and you use the one that works best for you. I'm totally sold on PRS guitars and have been since I got my 89/90 Custom with 10 top and birds. I had a CE, but it wouldn't ever really stay in tune, and didn't feel right (it was a gift that came from East Coast Music Mall when Ed Roman still ran the place and I have a feeling it was one of his knock-offs). But in '94 I got my CE-22 with a maple top...second only to the Custom for me. Between the two of them all of the bases are pretty much covered, but I still love my ASAT Special, Am Std Strat, and 69 Thinline Reissue (MIJ)...they can inspire a different mentality when I'm playing. The two "Teles" remove the option of the vibrato, so I have to make for that lack of sonic option in other ways.

I'm still deeply lusting a SAS and a DGT gold top would also be sweet, but the one I really wanted that was discontinued and then brought back was the Singlecut Trem. Maybe one day I'll find one, but new instruments (especially EXPENSIVE ones) are pretty much the last thing on my list of priorities. My jealousy is only tempered by the fact that it isn't a Singlecut Trem. Enjoy the hell out of that thing.

The CE is a 1995. I added Graph Tech piezo saddles to it. I cannot get it out of tune. It holds as well as any Floyd guitar I ever had. It has that certain something special about it. I'll never part with it.

The new SC just has that LP sound I love. As soon as I hit the first chord on it I couldn't stop smiling. It has a thick low end tone and a creamy midrange. It nails the sound I wanted.

I love Gibsons and Fenders but PRS is tops for me.

• Members

The CE is a 1995. I added Graph Tech piezo saddles to it. I cannot get it out of tune. It holds as well as any Floyd guitar I ever had. It has that certain something special about it. I'll never part with it.

The new SC just has that LP sound I love. As soon as I hit the first chord on it I couldn't stop smiling. It has a thick low end tone and a creamy midrange. It nails the sound I wanted.

I love Gibsons and Fenders but PRS is tops for me.

Was 1995 the year they went from alder to mahogany on the CEs or was that 1996? Mine's got the alder back. I'm bummed that they stopped making the CEs, but they were clearly making way for the DC and NF3 models. I'm glad they kept the Swamp Ash Special, but I really dug it's original PU configuration. The 2003 Singlecut still has the 25 inch scale which I prefer to 24 3/4". What's with the truss rod cover? It's pretty groovy.

• Members

Was 1995 the year they went from alder to mahogany on the CEs or was that 1996? Mine's got the alder back. I'm bummed that they stopped making the CEs, but they were clearly making way for the DC and NF3 models. I'm glad they kept the Swamp Ash Special, but I really dug it's original PU configuration. The 2003 Singlecut still has the 25 inch scale which I prefer to 24 3/4". What's with the truss rod cover? It's pretty groovy.

My CE is mahogany/maple. 95 was the first year for that combo.

The truss cover is just what the previous owner had on it. It's rosewood and I think it looks good.

headstock.jpg

• Members

Thanks man! It's good to see ya around.

Like you, I've decided to go with quality over quantity. I'm so happy with both of the PRS's that I may sell off the Strats for a PRS 305.

Good choice. I've got two Hamers, and two Strat types. I still love my AJC but its retired for now, maybe if I do a hard rock project I will break it out.

I am incredibly content with my guitars. I dont gas for any more, they suit me perfectly, they work well, thats all I need. I have a lot of pedals and for my sound an extensive collection of quality pedals works best.

Archived