I've decided to trade the Dual Recto. Thinking of Marshall, Orange, Blackstar...

EricJohn

• Members

So I tried one more time yesterday to try and get a sound that I like out of the Dual Rectifier but alas, it just isn't the amp for me at this point in my life. I'm thinking about the Marshall DSL or Vintage Modern Range, an Orange Dual Terror or their 30 watt head and a Blackstar. I was also thinking of the Mesa Stiletto series as it's supposed to be their "hi gain British sounding" amp. Any suggestions from youse guys are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

• Members

The Vintage Modern is a great amp, but WAY mid heavy IMO. I personally love it, but it's a huge departure from the Mesa. The DSL is going to be more compressed and have more bottom end than the VM; but not as scooped as the Mesa. I'd probably go with the DSL as they're pretty cheap these days and a great amp.

• Members

Howdy Eric, self-proclaimed British amp nut here.

I currently have:

1977 Marshall JMP Super Lead

1977 Marshall JMP 2204

1999 Marshall DSL 50

2010 Vox AC15

1985 Marshall Lead 12

Have had:

Marshall JCM900 model 4100

Orange AD30TC

Another Marshall Lead 12

Here's my opinion. My classic Marshalls sound great. The Orange was cool, but didn't have the cut of the Marshalls. My DSL 50 can get at least 95% of the way to the old school tone, is a lot more flexible, has amazing cleans to complement the crunch, and was inexpensive. It may not be my absolute best sounding amp, but if I could only have one, it would get the pick. In my opinion, its only drawback is that although it is easy to dial in an amazing tone, the two channels are voiced differently enough the EQ can be a compromise between the two. It's not enough of a negative trait to really bother me, but it's something you should be aware of.

For the record, I used to play in a band with a guy who had a Dual Recto. I've spent plenty of time screwing around with it, so I understand your frustration.

Here's some fuel for your GAS:

IMG_1230.jpg

• Members

Try a different cab before selling...

Some people don't believe I'm playing a recto when they hear it with my H&K cab loaded with greenbacks. I'm cleaning out my parts bin though to fund a JCM900 4500 purchase. They're a hell of a lot better than most people will admit.

• Members
Howdy Eric, self-proclaimed British amp nut here.

I currently have:

1977 Marshall JMP Super Lead

1977 Marshall JMP 2204

1999 Marshall DSL 50

2010 Vox AC15

1985 Marshall Lead 12

Have had:

Marshall JCM900 model 4100

Orange AD30TC

Another Marshall Lead 12

Here's my opinion. My classic Marshalls sound great. The Orange was cool, but didn't have the cut of the Marshalls. My DSL 50 can get at least 95% of the way to the old school tone, is a lot more flexible, has amazing cleans to complement the crunch, and was inexpensive. It may not be my absolute best sounding amp, but if I could only have one, it would get the pick. In my opinion, its only drawback is that although it is easy to dial in an amazing tone, the two channels are voiced differently enough the EQ can be a compromise between the two. It's not enough of a negative trait to really bother me, but it's something you should be aware of.

For the record, I used to play in a band with a guy who had a Dual Recto. I've spent plenty of time screwing around with it, so I understand your frustration.

Here's some fuel for your GAS:

IMG_1230.jpg

Thank you so much for your feedback. Have noticed DSL100's going for a decent price. I might be able to sell the Recto, get a DSL and have leftover for a nice, inexpensive axe.

• Members

Did you try putting EL34s in your recto? The tremoverb can do that, I think yours can too. I would definitely try that first.

I actually have put EL-34's in. Still just not the sound that I was looking for. Maybe part of the issue is that amp has to be cranked and I don't have the ability to do that these days since I'm not playing in a loud setting.

• Members

I actually have put EL-34's in. Still just not the sound that I was looking for. Maybe part of the issue is that amp has to be cranked and I don't have the ability to do that these days since I'm not playing in a loud setting.

Just saw this - replied too soon. If you can't open up a Rectifier there's little point in owning one. Of course, I'm of the opinion that there's no point in owning a tube amp at all if you've got nowhere to turn up.

Consider a modeler?

• Members

Thank you so much for your feedback. Have noticed DSL100's going for a decent price. I might be able to sell the Recto, get a DSL and have leftover for a nice, inexpensive axe.

You're welcome. For the record, my DSL is my favorite amp at lower volumes. It has a great MV. I paid $800 for mine with a 1936 cab and a fresh set of tubes. Good luck with your search!

• Members

Good point. I hated my Dual until I put some EL34's in. Now it's my fave, ever.

Just saw this - replied too soon. If you can't open up a Rectifier there's little point in owning one. Of course, I'm of the opinion that there's no point in owning a tube amp at all if you've got nowhere to turn up.

Consider a modeler?

I've considered Line6. I think I'm a bit of a tube snob. Maybe a lower watt head like 20 watt or 30? I've been using a Bugera V22 and it sounds not so hot at bedroom volume but when I can get it up past 5 it really sings.

Archived