Mighty Mite Neck Question

mikesr1963

• Members

Has anyone put one on a Standard Squier Strat body?

If so, how did it fit in the neck pocket; tight, loose?

Did you have to shim it?

Did you have to measure or were you able to put it in the neck pocket and screw it down?

Thank you.

Mike

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/mighty-mite-mm2928-stratocaster-replacement-neck-with-maple-fingerboard-and-jumbo-frets/585049000000000

DV019_Jpg_Regular_585049.jpg

• Members

I've got one on my partscaster and I really dig it. It's a huge neck to start with so if you aren't in to that then I'd suggest you stop reading here.

Still reading? The neck pocket on my guitar has gaps on both sides, each almost big enough to fit a jazz 3. That being said, I sorta expected this. It's barely visible and seems to have no effect on sound. I don't think it's realistic to simply expect a neck to fit like it's being installed from new at the factory.

The neck I got was great to set up. It's so big that, in my case, the truss rod didn't even need much in the way of adjustment. The fret-ends were a tad sharp on mine. Nothing a sanding block didn't make short work of.

For the $150 I paid I'm actually really happy with my Mighty Mite neck. I'm already planning to build a Colin James Strat using another.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: I got one of their necks with a nut rout for a Floyd and the measurements online were all wrong. The nut shelf used to be 43mm, then they changed (without telling anyone) to 42mm which actually turns out to be like 41.5mm. I couldn't find a nut to perfectly fit so I've got a .25mm overhang on either side. This, again, seems to have no effect on playability or tone.

• Members

I have one on my Squier Bullet body and have a pretty good shim in it. I don't subscribe to the "tight neck pocket" theory though. My Strat has plenty of sustain even with the shim. I've shimmed probably 20 Strat necks over the years with no appreciable difference.

• Members

I installed one in a Squier Standard Strat body, and it isn't a tight fit, there are gaps on both sides. But what I did was put an .08 mm string on the High E and Low E and align it in the pocket as well as i could, then i took a C-clamp and and clamped the neck @ the joint in that place. Then I took an ice pick and put a couple of holes where the neck screws needed to go in the neck through the neck joint holes in the body. Then I undid everything, put masking tape over the holes and then marked where the ice pick holes were with a pen. You need the masking tape so your drill doesn't slip away from the holes when you're drilling. Then I drilled in the places marked with a Dremel. I didn't use a shim.

It isn't perfectly aligned on both sides with the high and low E strings, but it works well enough.

• Members

How to align neck during assembly:

1. Attach the neck to the body with a big c-clamp (use something to keep the clamp from marring the body)

2. String up the high and low E strings

3. Adjust the neck until those strings run parallel with the edges of the fretboard - also make sure that there's a (basically) equal distance between the edge of the fingerboard on each side and each side's respective E strings.

4. Aligned? Good, clamp a little harder, turn the entire thing around, and drill the neck using the holes in the body as your guide. Important: You need to ensure you don't drill right through the neck. I did this by taking my drill bit out of the drill and holding it against the side of the neck pocket/neck. You can put a bit of tape on your bit at this point to show you how deeply you need to drill.

5. Screw neck on.

Disclaimer: This is how I do it. If you want clarification on any steps, PM me. If you doubt your ability to complete this process without damaging your guitar or yourself, then don't do it. You've been warned.

Archived