Jack White -recording without compression article from EM.

deanmass

• Members

That said, despite the numbers, a lot of this feels pretty compressed and mushed together. I can't say I really like the sonics much.

It's analog tape :lol:

I'll never forget how happy I was when Dolby SR came out, and I could hit tape at levels that didn't produce distortion AND not have hiss, either. Good tape on a properly calibrated machine with Dolby SR had less distortion, more headroom, and less hiss than DAT.

• Members
Well, at least you are not making this kind of statements trying to promote your music. As about me, I'm far cry from what I was able to play 20 years ago still I'll do the best mixing an album for a band. I use both analog and digital but never even thought to say my work is good because I use A-Design or Bricasti. If artist likes my work it is because I put an effort and work with him to get the best result. And if they don't like my work it's not because it was all digital or I didnt' have enough analog plugs
:)
but because I wasn't efficient enough.

;)

• Members

Yeah, well, I did like the sonics of "Summer Wind" from Sinatra's Strangers in the Night, and that, I'm pretty sure was analog tape, too.

;)

That said, it's really the musical ethos that somehow goes right past me with regard to Mr White and his efforts.

• Moderators

What's so special is that
you,
old son, are not the rock crit's darling of the moment.

;)

But who cares about that? I think it sounds cool! If any of you guys had said, look what I did, I'd be all... "Whoa! You did GOOD!" Who cares about any of "critics darling" stuff. I just hear it and go "NEAT!!!" :)

[video=youtube;Okfm66ASu0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okfm66ASu0w

• Members

Intermezzo - just told this joke to my assistant

Musician goes to the doctor because he had no bowel movement since three months.

Musician: "Doctor, I didn't have any bowel movement for three months"

Doctor: "Okay, lets examine your problem".

Doctor: "I can not see any problem.

Doctor: "mmh.... what is you job?"

Musician: "I am a musician!"

Doctor: "Oh, I see... here I give you 20 dollar, go and eat something".

• Members

That's the kind of guy you are, Lee. Caring, giving, almost endlessly optimistic. (Sure, we all have our dark spells, but you seem to bounce back with just that much more cheerful resolve.)

This is why the world needs sour, cynical guys like me -- to balance guys like you. :D

PS... this version of "I'm Shakin'" -- which I heard a day or two ago on MOG while doing yet another stop and drop on the JW album in question -- is probably my favorite by him, although it's a bit of a stretch imaging myself putting it on for pleasure.

Honestly, while I really don't much care for his music (and I REALLY didn't like the 'Stripes) and I can sit there and listen and pick out stuff I don't like, I keep wondering if I'm not prejudiced against his music somehow.

I mean, I've cut slack for other sloppy/slapdash players before (and it's certainly not like I'm any sort of tower of precision, hoo boy!)... I dunno. But at least I've decided that he seems like he's a nice, intelligent guy with his heart in the right place -- so, that's nice, far as it goes. ;)

• Members

Exactly. Does anyone care about the tools that were used to create something as long as it sounds good?
:idk:

Not usually, and that's why I use analog.

On the other hand there will always be musicians that come to your studio and expect to see the latest version of Pro Tools and all the latest plugs and gadgets, so the reality is people feel pressure to continually upgrade for the sake of appearances.

• Members

Compression is for Kids.

But that said, the distorted guitar, the mics, the tape, the tubes, the transformers etc all "compress" or alter the transients.

So no one can record sans compression.

But the more i learn the less i like compression, except in parallel.

• Members

Great example, roomjello, thanks!

Can you imagine THIS will be mastered with more compression and limiting?

I really hate compression sometimes, especially on jazz or classical recordings. But for hard rock there is no other way, either during mixing or mastering. So, it depends on genres, of course.

Again, I'm not against Mr. White music, I just don't like all this posing and paphos.

Archived