What I've learned so far about my EPIPHONE (YES MADE IN CHINA!!) Slash AFD Les Paul

GAS Man

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He used Seymour Duncan Alnico II's because he couldn't afford real PAF's. The pickups were only a very
smart
part of the Appetite sound

Wow, he spoke the truth . . . go figure (even if he didn't mean to). We won't even get into the fact that the Appetite guitar wasn't a Gibson, but a copy made by a local luthier.

• Members

Don't mind DP, his sole reason for existing is to crap on other people who don't spend $5,000 or more on every guitar they buy.

Absolutely.

Until he posts a clip of himself playing..... I will remain completely un-impressed with him and his guitar collection.

• Members

He used Seymour Duncan Alnico II's because he couldn't afford real PAF's. The pickups were only a very smart part of the Appetite sound

just PLEASE dont post Slashes Sploogy rag or a lock of his pubic hair you sad little fan boy,,, i just what to hear you play.. even a freaking A chord...

but that would mean you would need a hand free from pleasuring your self all over some GNR poster... you are just a collector with some sorta man crush on slash...

keep collecting..

:thu:

• Members

Look at any clear finished Epi Sg except Elitist, its most apparent with the SG because of the wide bevel - the grain stops as the bevel starts, just like in the picture above but it's much easier to see.

Anyway call me an idiot for stating facts, but this topic, besides being obvious to see, has been acknowledged by Epi many times though J. Rosenberg on the Epi forums

I'm just curious: why do you care so much? Do you have nothing better to worry about? :idk:

• Members

In the Sweetwater Epiphone picture, I see what appears to be grain extending into the roundover to the direct left of the upper strap button. Most of the rest of the edges are obscured by light reflections.

I have no idea if it's veneered on the back or not, but I do see what appears to be grain continuation in several areas.

• Members

He used Seymour Duncan Alnico II's because he couldn't afford real PAF's. The pickups were only a very
smart
part of the Appetite sound

That's exactly my point. Slash may have lucked into the SD pickups when his manager found the Chris Derrig LP copy, but he used the Alnico II's consistently from 1987 to 2010 even after he could afford "real PAF's." He even swapped out the pickups in his other Les Pauls for Alnico II's so that they'd sound more like the Derrig guitar.

If it's good enough for Slash . . . :poke:

• Members

That's from the lighting and camera angle and it's pretty obvious. Unless Gibson is putting the same thing on their R8s?

80533-detail5-l.jpg

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/s80533/

I'm sure you'll get right on apologizing now, won't you?

Have a read of these two posts (search for the word veneer in the post) and look at some google images of clear finished Epi

• Members

I'm just curious: why do you care so much? Do you have nothing better to worry about?
:idk:

I only care because some **** called me an idiot for relaying a fact and then and than went on say that it was "internet bs" which couldn't be further from the truth - and all because he though I was knocking his guitar, which I wasn't, why do you care?

• Members

The idea of wanting a Les Paul with Seymour Duncan's is kind of silly
. Just buy a used studio and install Seymour Duncan's. Although if I wanted to put different pups in a Les Paul, Seymour Duncan would be my last choice. There are tons of companies out there like Wolftone, Sheptone, Shaw, Lollar, etc... that are putting out much better pickups than Seymour Duncan.

Then the ideal of wanting a $11,499 Les Paul with Seymour Duncan's is . . . . . . ? ;)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SlashADSig

Again, congrats on your guitar.

I hope you got a good deal on it. I imagine there was some margin there to be played with. :wave:

P.S. Once you get into playing that guitar with some over drive gain I think you'll find those Slash Alnico IIs sound pretty cool. My faves so far are the BB1 & BB2 but these are a bit more cutting/snarling in a good way. They've increased the output a bit with the Slash versions but dropped down the resonant peaks a hair.

• Members

In the Sweetwater Epiphone picture, I see what appears to be grain extending into the roundover to the direct left of the upper strap button. Most of the rest of the edges are obscured by light reflections.

I have no idea if it's veneered on the back or not, but I do see what appears to be grain continuation in several areas.

I posted it above a couple times, but I don't mind repeating.

I can see the grain lines continuing from the sides and wrapping (connecting) to the grain lines on the back.

I got a new camera a while back, but it wasn't just un-package and shoot. If this thread keeps bubbling to the front page, I'll make it my quest if there's still doubt of my testimony to set up that camera add some photos of the grain connections.

But I guess I still don't see why folks would think that Epiphone would bother. Most of us here are used to seeing up to four pieces on the back of entry level Gibsons (and I even have a 1983 Custom Shop Edition LP that shows a four piece back) and we know they don't try to cover that up with veneers. Why would Epiphone? The exception I know of that I already mentioned is the Epi Korina Explorer, where they endeavor to create a solid piece appearance from front and back. (own one myself) Obviously one plank of limba big enough for an explorer outline would be cost prohibitive for Epiphone and multiple planks in the core would be a particular detriment to the appearance of the top.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

My Epi slash plus top has 4 piece body with a thin piece of wood(3mm) at the back to make it look like "One piece body". But surprisingly the body resonant better than any of my LP style guitar! and the sound is warmer than my friend's Gibson LP standard. but I have to admit the craftsmanship isnt so great and the electronic + wiring is a mess, tuners wont stay in tune and plastic nut had to go. It's a great guitar but I wish i had spend the money on a Tokai or Edwards.

• Members

(((
dead thread comes aliiiiiiivvve
:eek:
)))

Hey, GAS Man - you still got this thing? If so, what's your long-term oh-pinnion?
:)

I like it. I've looked VERY closely at the back of mine and it does not have a veneer on its back. There are plenty of grain lines that can be traced from the sides of the guitar around to the (lining up with) the back of the guitar. The rounded edges give that appearance (of a veneer) at first glance, but not when you look closely with strong reading glasses and light and follow enough of the grain lines.

I had a bit of trouble out of the box with the action on mine which was a bit disappointing. But I really do think that was an unfortunate fluke. (In general I've had very good luck with the action on my Epiphone purchases) I had a new nut cut for it out of bone (most of which was paid for under warranty). The nut slots were a bit too low so I got fret rattle when I lowered the action. Now it's basically okay but the tech I use likes to go 1/2 the string gauge under the strings and 1st fret which is a hair higher than I prefer.

But other than that, I think it's a beautiful guitar. I've got $849 into it, which I really didn't think was all that bad. Yeah, it's MIC, but it's their upper-end Epi (long neck tenon, orange drop cap, SD p'ups) and comes with a nice case and the commemorative Slash sig material, etc. http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-talks-about-new-epiphone-appetite-for-destruction-les-paul-266882

And I do like it's tone. It has depth as a LP should and yet still has a good amount of chime and edgie-ness to it. You can crank the gain, flip to the neck, roll off the tone, and play the "Sweet Child O' Mine" riff and hear that it's a good copy of that Slash tone in an LP. It is not a Les Paul that is prone to sound muddy.

I do recommend it. I took some {censored} from some on this purchase, but I never gave a {censored}. I've been unflappable. It's a good sounding guitar and it turns out they never were blown out. They were sold out. The last time I saw a new one for sale I believe it was on Amazon and it was still the full pricing of $999. So I think they are also a good risk for holding value. I've seen the older versions fetch good prices on ebay.

So I think you'll like it. Other than that set up issue (which did piss me off - as much as I like Sweetwater - someone along the line had just cranked up the bridge to cover over the fret buzz - so much for their x-point inspection :rolleyes: - but it did get fixed to where it now plays like buttah) I'm now a very happy camper with it.

I've got a few sweet Gibson LPs around, but this one is most often left out. Good tone, great looks and a durable finish makes it a top fave LP for me for an everyday player.

I do indeed like this combo of SD Alnico Slash p'ups on a Les Paul. :thu:

Let me know what you think of yours if you follow through with the purchase. :wave:

• Members

I bought my Slash Epi goldtop at a Best Buy Clearence. It was a floor model and needed a set up. I've found most Epi's are not that great out of the box and need a set up (my Ebony 56 Goldtop Epi bought online was an exception). There was a funny low volume buzz and the action was a bit too high. I had Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, put a new nut on and set it up. It's great now. Not the same as a Gibson but a very nice player. My new Gibson 60s Tribute Goldtop at just a bit more in cost is a much better guitar and sounds fantastic unplugged.

I was drawn to the Slash guitar because of price and the fact that it had the same USA pickups as the Gibson model. The case, his autograph on the COA were also nice to get. I also like the guitar because it is light. I'm not hung up on chambered, weight relieved or non-weight relieved. It's really a great guitar once it was set up. I also had a new switch put in since it also crapped out pretty fast.

My 79 LP Custom is a player but also an anchor, so light is best for me.

My new 60s Tribute GT is also extremely light and it's my favorite right now. Did not need a set up and bought it 'off the rack' at Guitar Center. It just played so nice I just had to bring it home. The 15% off and 12months financing were also very persuasive.

Archived