I bot this older SX SJM-62 off fleaBay for an X-mas present 4 my son- what 2 expect?

GAS Man

• Members

This is the second one I chased on the bay - this one I won the bid. I got it for $96.75 + $25 shipping. The one I missed went for about $30 more. :confused:

I'm trying to get my son interested in the P-90 sounds (oh, he's 28 yo). He went through a fairly cool Dave Matthews guitar style phase, but lately (last 5 or 6 years) he's been dug deep into a metal chugga chugga phase. He's got that covered with a LP Studio, Explorer and a PRS Se, but I thought this might make him explore the twang side of life a bit.

I went used partly to save a just a few bucks, but I also like the older headstock.

KGrHqRioE6JDsln5WBOjQ9G6rg60_3.jpg

More pics from the ebay auction

KGrHqVlUE6CPI5mBOjQ82MCg60_3-1.jpg

KGrHqZlwE6C-LNtpBBOjQ9GM1e60_3-1.jpg

KGrHqZhQE5ojLdG1BOjQ9SyFP60_3-1.jpg

About the main negative I've found a couple times on these is "noisy pickups". So I'll get to see if it's much worse than say my Squier Tele Custom II.

The one I got has the newer roller bridge on it, which strikes me as a plus.

It just has this one blem

KGrHqJk4E6FGTy7DEBOjQ9R3cw60_3.jpg

which doesn't worry me.

But it seems like I've been drawn to this model from endorsements by jjpistols and Wedgehed.

This vid by him I always thought was pretty cool.

[video=youtube;k1CQWi8orqA]

Oh, and then there's this one by Minnie The Moocher as well :thu:

[video=youtube;mYiq94OkUcA]

Anyway, if it arrives in decent shape, that's one I can cross off my X-mas list.

Time to hit "Submit New Thread" and see if HCEG explodes :eek:

• Members

I have one of those. It's a cool guitar, but mine has the old bridge design. It totally makes the guitar unusable for me. Anyone have any ideas for what to replace it with? It's just got two pieces of metal for the posts that aren't threaded at all. They just sit in some metal holes that are set into the body. That looks nice GASman!

Here's a pic of mine.

SX%20SJM62%202.jpg

• Members

I have one of those. It's a cool guitar, but mine has the old bridge design. It totally makes the guitar unusable for me. Anyone have any ideas for what to replace it with? It's just got two pieces of metal for the posts that aren't threaded at all. They just sit in some metal holes that are set into the body. That looks nice GASman!

Really? That bridge should have a height adjustment screw in the hole at each end, just like a standard Jazzmaster bridge. Mine certainly did, despite being junk quality. Anyway, the screw has a pointed bottom that acts as a pivot point in the relevant bridge cups; without it, I can't imagine it'd stay in tune worth a damn. I eventually replaced mine with a Warmoth Modified Mustang bridge - because the stock bridge on mine, though workable, was indeed a piece of {censored} - and I was quite pleased. Any decent Jag/JM/Mustang bridge should do the trick.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Very nice score! Great guitar, that the older models had a bridge that was nothing more than a rattle trap! I would suggest, if planning on using the trem, replacing it with a roller bridge. The pickups are nice, but with the typical hum one associates with P90's. As long as your kid isn't planning on death metal, shouldn't be an issue.

• Members

I'll ask my son if he wants to part with it. He's still in his "metal phase" and I've got other guitars I've unloaded on him that he may want more. He lives in an overpriced apartment in Seattle with very little room for guitars, so he might be willing to give it back to me and I could flip him something else he needs more. I had a bit of trouble getting the action dialed in to where I like it. I discovered a fair amount of shimming in the neck pocket. JJpistols sent me a spare neck with the same head-stock (which I agree is a nice looking head-stock) so I do now have two necks to work with. But the guitar is in Seattle and the spare neck is 90 miles north. But yeah, if you're interested, I'll let you know.

And thanks for the comments. The design and color/finish were indeed attractive to me as well, and there aren't that many alder bodied guitars out there with P-90s. Mostly I see P-90s on mahogany bodied guitars which is partly why I found the SJM-62 to be intriguing.

Archived