Does Anyone Use Sound Modules Any More?

• Members

Nice collection, I am impressed. And if these music that you produced does not turn out financially in way formerly expected.....and the St Pauli girl beckons for help to remove lederhosen, on every Sundays behind small church on outskirts of town, for a small fee.....you could easy put a price tag on every keyboard and turn this storage unit into pro vintage keyboard store. With all payments in Yen, cash only. Unless of course the spirit of Idi Amin reincarnates into body of Nicola Spirig. Then we are all {censored}ed!

well, the lederhosen stuff is 85% of the market in Germany down to Thailand, maybe I buy EMI with that cash, and the rest I give to you.

I am pretty sure now you live in LA, nobody in Tokyo has such a wicked style as you.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey, In fact who zaps the input? MIDI is about as bulletproof and can be, at least it used to be.

If you are rubbing your foot on the carpet, while being hit by lightning with the other foot in the bathtub.....IT CAN HAPPEN !

Seriously though, I had a EMU drum machine go sour from static. It was during a dry spell in the winter

Dan

• Members

I've got Rapture, but haven't done much with it yet. Perhaps after Craig's recommendation of it in this thread, I'll put some more time into exploring it.

I did an expansion pack for Rapture called "Electronic Guitars." If you want to hear some audio examples of what Rapture can do, check out the video...

• Members

A lot of it is when you purchased it. If I were to put together a studio today, it would most certainly look a lot different than one that's been slowly built since I was a kid. And so it is with sound modules. If they're still useful and you like their sound, it'd be madness to not continue using them.

Yes exactly!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that none of my analog synths are MIDI capable, but same story

• Members

As to the MIDI ins thing...IIRC merging MIDI data streams is a relatively complex process, so the interface manufacturers probably didn't want to deal with that.

Good thought, but you don't need to do MIDI merging with multiple inputs; instead you mark data from each input with its port number. I can't think why multiple input ports would be any more difficult than multiple output ports, but I could be missing something.

In any case, I think that from a marketing perspective, there would be far more demand for 2x1 than 1x2 (i.e., I agree with Mike's OP). I would expect far more people using a computer to have two keyboards connected to the computer and not need ANY outputs, than to have one keyboard to put hands on but multiple keyboards/modules to generate tones. A decade or two ago, it would be the other way around: with a computer sequencer (but few or no VSTi's) you could easily want more than 16 MIDI output channels to drive all the keyboards/modules you're sequencing.

I have a 1x1 cable with lump, and 2x2 box. I originally got the 2x2 and actually had use for 1 input 2 output (one for keyboard, one for guitar amp/cab sim). I later got the 1x1 for live use, and these days I rarely pull out the 2x2 at all. However, shortly I plan to pull the 2x2 out so I can drive VSTi's from weighted and unweighted keyboards at the same time. Studio only; live I leave the laptop home these days, just for convenience (thank you Nord).

• Members

especially for you, all other not permittet to look at at.

Wow, impressive! (Sorry, I looked. Moderator, please ban me for my punishment.)

I wouldn't hardly know where to begin. What I do know is with all those to play with, I'd spend way too much time fiddling, and not enough time making music!

It's almost embarrassing how many of those I recognize (in spite of how few I've actually played). Is that a CS80 or CS60 in the lower right? (I actually did play a CS80 a lot, thanks to Ann Arbor Music Mart.)

• Members

What we do here with the soft synth I have is we route it out to an amp and record it, and if we want any effects, we'll often send it through those and record those as well. Sounds considerably better than leaving a soft synth flat, in our opinions. Most people won't do this, but if this sounds interesting or better, give it a whirl. Put some "hair" and a sense of space on those synths. We do these with "regular" synths and hardware modules as well, quite often.

• Members
What we do here with the soft synth I have is we route it out to an amp and record it, and if we want any effects, we'll often send it through those and record those as well. Sounds considerably better than leaving a soft synth flat, in our opinions. Most people won't do this, but if this sounds interesting or better, give it a whirl. Put some "hair" and a sense of space on those synths. We do these with "regular" synths and hardware modules as well, quite often.

Frankly, I think most synths (analog or digital, hardware or software) need a bit of FX juice to really work.

• Members

Frankly, I think most synths (analog or digital, hardware or software) need a bit of FX juice to really work.

Quite often they do, don't they, regardless of what they are!

And I also think that they quite frequently sound better when someone puts some "air" and sense of space into them, such as by sending them through an amp, sticking a microphone in front, and recording it. But I do realize that I'm one of only a few who seem to regularly mic up synths.

• Members

Quite often they do, don't they, regardless of what they are!

And I also think that they quite frequently sound better when someone puts some "air" and sense of space into them, such as by sending them through an amp, sticking a microphone in front, and recording it. But I do realize that I'm one of only a few who seem to regularly mic up synths.

Fender Twin Reverb, baby!

I'm looking forward to trying the Line 6 DT25 with synths, seems like the ideal ampfor that kind of application.

• Members

I've always used outboard processing with analog and digital synths. And on a few things put it through an amp. I've seen people try to get a convincing over-driven guitar sound just by programming... and I've watched them fail to do so for over 25 years. Since the 80

• Members
Sounds important, but I have no idea what you are saying here.
:confused:

You're far too atypical to be a good subject for a marketing study for a high-volume product. BTW, I was taking your remark about "to tape" literally, though you might have meant "to recorder". Being the esoteric tone freak you are, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear you using tape regularly. No sarcasm intended.

I've seen people try to get a convincing over-driven guitar sound just by programming... and I've watched them fail to do so for over 25 years

True story. They keep getting better, but there's still a big difference. As a hobbyist, with a good room for acoustic stuff but not for electric, I get better results with a sim than a real amp, but that's due to limitations that wouldn't apply to anyone with the time and space to do it right. When I mic a guitar amp, all I hear is my house. Unless I do stuff like sticking the amp in the bathroom or a closet etc, all of which is fun but doesn't work when my wife is asleep! With a sim, you can get stuff that works for certain purposes, but you can't get what you can get with a real amp. I suspect the speaker is the element they haven't correctly modeled yet, more than the amp.

Some of it is in the playing.

A LOT of it is! I've heard great parts played with inferior sounds but it works because the phrasing is authentic to the emulated instrument. Of course, it's best when you nail both. :cool:

Archived