I must have a Pelham Blue guitar!!! I MUST!

jimtalkbox

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Let me know what you all think. Thanks
:wave:

Nice guitar! But then I'm biased!

I think i snapped up the last one in the UK last week - had to remove the funky shaped Epi pickguard and swapped out the amber knobs (why on earth they put them on i don't know), and pop on a white selector tip just because.

Dot1.jpg?t=1305306832
Dot2.jpg?t=1305306832
Dot3.jpg?t=1305306832

I nearly wet myself when I called Dawsons and they said they had one, then they phoned me back after ordering to say the neck and headstock were somewhat seperate! :cry: Finally found one in Hollywood Music in Milton Keynes but had to wait over 2 bank holidays to finally pick it up.

• Members

:

PelhamSGJr1.jpg

That is awesome.

I was wanting a Pelham Blue SG pretty bad when I was shopping for SGs a few years ago, and I love the way they look when they age, so I split the difference and picked up a 2001 SG Special with the Teal/Blue flip-flop finish.

Photo2.jpg

I've been very tempted to turn it into a Junior lately, though, and that picture above is certainly pointing me in that direction.

• Members
Dave Grohl's favorite guitar was his red Gibson Trini Lopez but what he really wanted was one in Pelham Blue. He mentioned this in an interview in
Guitar World
and somebody read the interview and contacted him and sold him his dream guitar. He loved it so much, it's his signature model.

I dig that story because it's about guitarists helping guitarists. And it involves Pelham Blue.

21_foofighters_lg.jpg

gibsonDG335.jpg

Pictured above: Dave Grohl's DG335

Sweet, I knew about the guitar but not that story :thu:
As for pron, this "Aged Pelham Blue" always gets a good reaction round here:
07GibsonLPC68AgedPelham.jpg
It looks green because the clear coat is yellowed - the same way it makes white binding look yellow.

• Members
Nice guitar! But then I'm biased!

I think i snapped up the last one in the UK last week - had to remove the funky shaped Epi pickguard and swapped out the amber knobs (why on earth they put them on i don't know), and pop on a white selector tip just because.

Dot1.jpg?t=1305306832
Dot2.jpg?t=1305306832
Dot3.jpg?t=1305306832

I nearly wet myself when I called Dawsons and they said they had one, then they phoned me back after ordering to say the neck and headstock were somewhat seperate!
:cry:
Finally found one in Hollywood Music in Milton Keynes but had to wait over 2 bank holidays to finally pick it up.

Very nice, got mine from Dawsons about a month ago, what were the knobs like to get off on yours?, mine seem almost glued on (i know there not) and i have some les paul black fast knobs to go on but the damn copper knobs won't come off. Any advise would be welcome. thanks

• Members

Very nice, got mine from Dawsons about a month ago, what were the knobs like to get off on yours?, mine seem almost glued on (i know there not) and i have some les paul black fast knobs to go on but the damn copper knobs won't come off. Any advise would be welcome. thanks

They were really tight!! I needed a lever to work them off (i used the case from a calculator, first thing i found in the drawer that did the job and wasn't metal) - gently lever to work it off whilst rotating the knob (so you don't bend the pot shaft) and then once you've got enough space to get your fingers under, you should be able to pull them off quite easily.

Good call with the speed knobs, will make it look much better.

• Members

This is a PERFECT guitar ...

Yeah, it's pretty hotttt! :love:

I got this cheap S101 guitar used to use a testbed for an SG Jr I have... I still need to wet sand it and put it back together, but I kinda dig it so far.

DSC_7906a1.jpg

DSC_7981a11.jpg

• Members
They were really tight!! I needed a lever to work them off (i used the case from a calculator, first thing i found in the drawer that did the job and wasn't metal) - gently lever to work it off whilst rotating the knob (so you don't bend the pot shaft) and then once you've got enough space to get your fingers under, you should be able to pull them off quite easily.

Good call with the speed knobs, will make it look much better.

Thanks for the advise, but I went for the Cleaning Cloth method to remove the knobs, found it on YouTube. What you do is wrap the edge of cloth under the knob then twist the cloth together, hold the the whole cloth and pull up. worked perfectly. Search YouTube for "How to remove an electric guitar knob without pryin".

Heres a updated pic

WP_001185.jpg' alt='>'>

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I'd be curious to see how this "Pelham Blue" Wilshire looks in the flesh. Can't usually get too good of an idea from these webshots.

739214.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

i.e. not very close to PB in natural light.

a little bit closer in brighter light.

IMG_0028.jpg

Now Gibson has added some newer models that have recently shown up on the Sweetwater Gallery that seem to be spot on the color.

125610379-front-l.jpg

125710438-front-l.jpg

Those 2 being reasonably priced,

but if you've got around $4K to spend, they also now have this

CS103146-front-l.jpg

Archived