MXR Pedals...multiple technical difficulties!

EricJohn

• Members

I've owned 2 MXR pedals; the EVH Phase 90 and the Zakk Wylde Overdrive. Both crapped out on me in 3 months. The Phase 90's AC port didn't work after 3 months and when I stepped on the Wylde Overdrive for a solo, a god awful screeching noise followed every single time.

Been wanting to try their carbon copy delay and their 78 custom distortion but am too afraid because of the reliability issues I had with them.

Any other experiences with MXR good or bad?

• Members

I've had no problems with my mxr pedals. I've got a carbon copy I love, a micro flanger that I enjoy, and a 78 distortion that I haven't played around with too much, but I've never had any problems with them. I've had the carbon copy and the flanger for over a year now I think. If you buy from gc you can get the protection plan that if anything goes wrong with it (gc guy said even the led light burning out qualifies) you call a number and they just issue you a check for a new pedal. Even if you spike it down in a fit of rage. Like I said though, I've had no problem whatsoever with my mxr pedals, I like them quite a bit.

• Members

I have a Distortion III on my board. It's been in the rain and stomped on repeatedly for I think four years now. No issues. I have other MXR stuff too, and they all work perfectly, but they don't have the same level of abuse as the DIII has.

• Members
The one thing that kept me from buying an MXR 10 band EQ was it required an 18 volt power supply. So, everything else runs on 9 volts including just about every pedal board uses a 9volt power supply as the foundation for its design, yet MXR uses 18 volts.

My 10 band came with the power supply. :idk:

• Members

The thing that sucks with the 10 band being 18 volts is if you're tired, careless, and hasty you'll plug it into another pedal.

I did for two seconds and the other pedal seems fine, but still I'm annoyed. I wish the connectors were different.

Otherwise awesome pedal. I'm probably getting a Carbon Copy next.

• Members

I've owned 2 MXR pedals; the EVH Phase 90 and the Zakk Wylde Overdrive. Both crapped out on me in 3 months.
The Phase 90's AC port didn't work after
x
months
and when I stepped on the Wylde Overdrive for a solo, a god awful screeching noise followed every single time.

Been wanting to try their carbon copy delay and their 78 custom distortion but am too afraid because of the reliability issues I had with them.

Any other experiences with MXR good or bad?

THIS: Happened to mine (EVH version). Just got it repaired the other week actually. My first EVH was dead right out of the box...something was burnt out on the PCB. Took it back for an exchange innit!

I hear there were a lot of problems with the switch on early ZW overdrives too.... but I do like the sounds from MXR pedals!

• Members

My Carbon Copy went south...emailed their customer service dept, mailed it in, and they fixed and shipped it back to me for free. Great folks over there...

This was exactly my experience. Apparently, they do occasionally crap out, but the company really stands behind the product. And I think the Carbon Copy is a fine pedal.

• Members

THIS: Happened to mine (EVH version). Just got it repaired the other week actually. My first EVH was dead right out of the box...something was burnt out on the PCB. Took it back for an exchange innit!

I hear there were a lot of problems with the switch on early ZW overdrives too.... but I do like the sounds from MXR pedals!

They do have fantastic sound that's for sure!

• Members

The one thing that kept me from buying an MXR 10 band EQ was it required an 18 volt power supply. So, everything else runs on 9 volts including just about every pedal board uses a 9volt power supply as the foundation for its design, yet MXR uses 18 volts.

most pedal powering units offer higher power. I use my EQ with a DC break.

Archived