Recommend me a Tele!

Guitar_Dan

• Members

Are you going to import? Remember we are fine up to 1000aus not including shipping. You could get a MIA standard of a recent year for 700 with shipping at about 150.

I have bought from musiciansfriend in their used section (all mine were like brand new, condition A and B) for a good discount with reasonable shipping too. Look for coupon codes for additional savings.

I like the baja as the neck is bigger. Good luck!

• Members

Hi Billybilly, yeah I know about the $1000 limit, I've paid numerous funds to customs on all my guitars lol. Me and my dad have a guy we use in San Diego that looks after us well, we have got all our gear from him. Sure beats Alans music.

I didn't think about used, might be worth a look.

• Members

if I wanted to spend that much on a tele I'd just grab an american standard and be done with it.

I don't know if "no humbuckers" precludes the models with a neckbucker, such as this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-american-vintage-72-telecaster-custom-electric-guitar

DV016_Jpg_Large_H75920.001.001_3-color_s

the signature tele sound is primarily found in the bridge single, which this has.

• Members

Whatever you do don't spend $1500 on a Tele. The really great thing about Teles is that you can get superb ones for small bucks. The not so good thing about Teles is that no matter how much you spend on upgrades you won't get that much more of a guitar. I love my American Standard but in truth it isn't one bit better than my Mexican made Butterscotch or my Korean Special Edition Koa. With the quality of the import Teles being what it is I would never spend more than $500. Factory upgrades on a Tele are a study in diminishing returns. The more you spend the less you get for your money. If you must have so called upgrades do them yourself and save a bundle of money.

• Members

Try to find a '52 Reissue.

I've bought quite a few Telecasters, MIA Special, Deluxe, various reissue MIM '72s, and Standard, an MIJ 90s Custom, etc, but the '52 is the only one that not only has the vibe but also the depth of tone. I like the others too, some of them are more edgie and some are more warm with HBs, but the '52 is more the revelation in my mind of what a tele should sound like.

I'm also curious about some of the comparably priced "thin skin" models.

• Members

Try to find a '52 Reissue.

I've bought quite a few Telecasters, MIA Special, Deluxe, various reissue MIM '72s, and Standard, an MIJ 90s Custom, etc, but the '52 is the only one that not only has the vibe but also the depth of tone. I like the others too, some of them are more edgie and some are more warm with HBs, but the '52 is more the revelation in my mind of what a tele should sound like.

I'm also curious about some of the comparably priced "thin skin" models.

not sure why a tele is any more or less "upgradeable" than any other guitar.

• Members

not sure why a tele is any more or less "upgradeable" than any other guitar.

Well, I don't think I meant to imply that, but with my '52, it's just got a particularly nice sounding body to it. It's swamp ash (not hard and heavy) and it seems to be of good quality because it does have quite a bit of depth to its tone but still stays very articulate. I also think the p'ups are nice on it, so it just doesn't need anything except for getting the p'up selector switch rewired to modern. :mad:

The other thing I don't like about it is that (according to popular report) they have a thin nitro over a thin poly. So you get some of the weirdness of both worlds. But it still comes together well in what I regard as my best sounding Tele. But I bought that guitar at least a dozen years ago or so, so I'm not sure how consistent they've been.

• Members

I am by no means a tele expert but I recently picked um an American special and I'm loving it. Nice full neck, 9.5" radius, jumbo frets, Texas special pups, 3 brass saddle bridge for all you purists out there. All for $800.

I got one of those too. Also like that one.

• Members

if I wanted to spend that much on a tele I'd just grab an american standard and be done with it.

I don't know if "no humbuckers" precludes the models with a neckbucker, such as this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-american-vintage-72-telecaster-custom-electric-guitar

DV016_Jpg_Large_H75920.001.001_3-color_s

the signature tele sound is primarily found in the bridge single, which this has.

Those are cool gits by the way. I bought the Road Worn version and I like blending the tones between the bridge and neck.

• Members

Whatever you do don't spend $1500 on a Tele. The really great thing about Teles is that you can get superb ones for small bucks. The not so good thing about Teles is that no matter how much you spend on upgrades you won't get that much more of a guitar. I love my American Standard but in truth it isn't one bit better than my Mexican made Butterscotch or my Korean Special Edition Koa. With the quality of the import Teles being what it is I would never spend more than $500. Factory upgrades on a Tele are a study in diminishing returns. The more you spend the less you get for your money. If you must have so called upgrades do them yourself and save a bundle of money.

Wise words...

• Members

1) After having Teles with single coils, minis and humbuckers, I think the perfect combination is a mini in the neck and a traditional bridge set up.

2) Assemble one yourself. It's easy and as cheap or expensive as you decide. A tele with everything you want and none of what you don't like.

Archived