Jazz/Custom Combo for HH Strat... What do you think?

dimibetan

• Members

I'm starting a Strat build (Alder body, Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard) For the pickups, from what I have researched so far is that Jazz/Custom Combo is pretty much a versitile combination most kinds of music...

What do you think?

I already have the JB on my HSS Strat, I love it but I was thinking of having a different one, so Jazz/JB combo is out...

Cheers

• Members

A Custom is an amazing pickup, especially in a 25.5" scale bolt-on like a Strat. It's great by itself. I have it in my black Hello Kitty Strat (my favorite guitar) and people rave about how good it sounds for leads. It's probably my favorite bridge tone ever.*

The Jazz is also a pretty great pickup, though I've never used it in a Strat. I think you'll love the combination.

That said, they're cheap so you might be suspicious, but Dragonfire Screamers get you amazing tone for very little money. I've actually found the Screamers to be more universally good than the Jazz/Custom, as in it's sounded great in every guitar I've put them in.

* I also can't get the Custom to sound that good on any other guitar for some odd reason. I tried it in a couple of other guitars (a neck through and a set neck) and found it underwhelming.

• Members

A Custom is an amazing pickup, especially in a 25.5" scale bolt-on like a Strat. It's great by itself. I have it in my black Hello Kitty Strat (my favorite guitar) and people rave about how good it sounds for leads. It's probably my favorite bridge tone ever.*

The Jazz is also a pretty great pickup, though I've never used it in a Strat. I think you'll love the combination.

That said, they're cheap so you might be suspicious, but Dragonfire Screamers get you amazing tone for very little money. I've actually found the Screamers to be more universally good than the Jazz/Custom, as in it's sounded great in every guitar I've put them in.

* I also can't get the Custom to sound that good on any other guitar for some odd reason. I tried it in a couple of other guitars (a neck through and a set neck) and found it underwhelming.

Dragonfire? Sounds good... I might check it out. Thanks for the info:thu:

• Members

I would bump up the warmth in that combo a notch. That's an AMAZING humbucker combination, but in a strat, at times, it might be a tad harsh.

I would highly recommend the Custom Custom bridge, and either a Pearly Gates or 59 neck.

I was thinking of that combo also... What do you mean by "harsh", is it being too bright?

• Members

Quick question... Does the Dragonfire Screamer have an F-spaced version? Thanks again...

• Members

Custom Custom and Jazz is a great combination. That's what I would do. The alnico II of the custom custom makes the bridge smoother but still cutting. Jazz is my favourite Duncan for the neck, of course, pickup choice is very subjective but that's my 2 cents. I find the 59 too boomy in the neck.

• Members

Quick question... Does the Dragonfire Screamer have an F-spaced version? Thanks again...

Well aside from the fact that it doesn't really matter, I think the standard one might be close to F-spaced because I have the chrome set installed on a Jagmaster and the pole pieces are right under the strings.

Edit: In fact the pole pieces are a tad further apart than in my f-spaced DiMarzio, so yeah they're F-spaced.

• Members

I could see the Custom if you want a crunchy tone, but I wouldn't do the Jazz, they tend to be a bit thinner sounding. They are better for phatter sounding guitars that need more articulation. Strats don't usually need that.

I kinda like the Pearly Gates Plus for a strat bridge p'up. I also think the TZ recommendation would also be tempting and provide more bottom end. But that's me. For Duncan, I'd be more tempted to use the '59 for the neck, they have a phatter tone than the Jazz which might be a better compliment for your strat. For DiMarzio, the Air Norton might be a cool neck p'up. I have it in one Tele and it sounds good in there. BUT that's a mahogany tele which adds a bit more girth, but I'd still consider that one if you go DiMarzio.

But with all that said, I've usually only batted about a 50/50 success rate with my p'up swaps. But hopefully I've learned one or two things from it. Good luck.

Archived