Would you, could you, if you were me ?

bzja

• Members

Picked up this 50's Tribute Faded Cherryburst last summer. Not a fan of the top so here is my question. Would you sand the finish off the top, and also the side of the maple cap (implied binding). Making it a natural top?

ruby2k.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't care for clown bursts. There's almost no fade to that, just a quick transition into the red-orange.

If you do it in natural, you would make it uniquely yours, with none other in the world like it.

It's funny but a lot of criticism you see toward relics here on HCEG, is because they all look the same. In reality, it's the same type of things with any production guitar, including this one.

If you love the guitar but dislike the finish, sure... change it. Why not? That's of course if you won't be throwing resale value into the mix.

• Members

Why would he ruin it?

Well, I've learned by experienced that many mods that I've done with my amps and guitars I've ended up regretting it. I've had vintage marshalls modded back in the 80s and ending up regretting. Same goes for some Fender and Gibson guitars I had butchered. I've ruined some really nice gear that way.

If the gear aint happening for you, then save your money on modding it and get one that works for you at the moment.

• Members

Why not sell it and get what you really want? Unlike the picture, every one of those I have seen in person was awesome. And the factory finish feels super sexy.

YUP!!! I always cringe with disbelief seeing some great instruments ruined by some horrid experimental modifications that appear in craigslist and ebay. They end up selling it because they realized they've ruined a great guitar :)

• Members

Well, I've learned by experienced that many mods that I've done with my amps and guitars I've ended up regretting it. I've had vintage marshalls modded back in the 80s and ending up regretting. Same goes for some Fender and Gibson guitars I had butchered. I've ruined some really nice gear that way.

If the gear aint happening for you, then save your money on modding it and get one that works for you at the moment.

... or on the other hand, why even buy it to begin with?

Not all mods turn out bad though to be honest. If he likes the guitar enough to begin with, why not not turn it into something he loves? Especially if it's something as simple as a refinish?

Do it right and it's an improvement. Do a half ass job and yeah... it's ruined.

• Members

Would I? No, because that's a lot of trouble. Also, I probably wouldn't have bought a cherry burst to begin with. Could I? No, I don't have the skills for that.

Anyway, if you have the skill, I think it would look cool. That said, even though the cherry burst isn't my favorite, that's not a bad-looking guitar.

• Members

if i was confident enough i'd have no issue with stripping it back. Let's face it most of the people here like modding their gear, this is just one version of that. If you don't like the pickups then replace them, if you don't like the finish then refinish it. It's no big deal if you know what you're doing, plus you end up with a one of a kind. Imagine someone saying they got a guitar but don't like the sound, and everybody said 'don't change the pickups you'll ruin it'. It's your guitar, change it to suit you, not others.

Archived