NGD - For the Wife. Warning, no gibson or fender content ;)

kit_strong

• Members

Pics and audio clip below but first a bit of background...

Last week I briefly tried out a Luna Muse acoustic guitar and my initial impressions left me really fond of the neck but I was crazy about the sound of the guitar and had been planning to get a bit nicer acoustic than that.

Long short, I stumbled upon a crazy (like 50% off MAP crazy) deal on a Luna Pheonix Artist and decided to pull the trigger (NGD and Review threads).

A bit more searching and I came across a couple of electric models also for well below MAP.

The Luna Sol Aquarius instantly jumped out as being something perfect for my wife what with the ancient star map design on the pickguard and her being a PHD astronomer. The normal street price is about $550, amazon had it for $310 so again I pulled the trigger.

When I opened the box, my first surprise was that it was Korean made. At this price point (even the normal price) I was totally expecting to see Made in China.

The guitar is a solid ash body/ash neck with ebony fretboard. 25.5" set neck with dual humbuckers.

Luna_Sol_1.jpg

A fairly simple headstock design complete with Grover tuners.

Luna_Sol_headstock.jpg

Ancient Aquarius constellation starmap on the pickguard.

Luna_Sol_starmap.jpg

Luna_Sol_back.jpg

Here's the wife getting her groove on.

Luna_Shay_and_Sol.jpg

And a shot of both Luna guitars.

2_Lunas.jpg

I put together some quick audio clips this morning. And I mean really quick, I didn't even warm up any so there were definite mistakes. No backing tracks, and I didn't really have time to dial in the perfect tone.

Both recordings are done with my JamVox set to a Tweed 1x12 model. Bass mid and treble set at 12 o'clock. Along with a touch of delay.

The first recording is on the neck pickup.

Clean, Neck pickup

For the 2nd recording I add an overdrive pedal to the signal chain and run through a bluesy tune. I start with both pickups then at the turnaround switch to just the bridge.

Bluesy-Bridge/Middle, Bridge only

For the price I paid its definitely a nice guitar. The ash definitely gives it a different character than the standard mahogany dual HB. I'd say even at the normal street price it compares favorably with other guitars in the price range.

-Kit

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smart and pretty!!!!!

And you got cool guitars!!!

Lucky man!! :thu:

Very lovely tone clean!!! Sweet playing as well!

She sounds like she's got a great dirty voice as well! ( I mean the guitar!)

I'd hit it! (I mean both.... if the er... stars aligned appropriately... :p)

• Members

Very lovely tone clean!!! Sweet playing as well!

Thanks. I'm always my own worst critic when it comes to my playing and while I definitely still have a lot to learn I can look back just a couple of months and see definite improvement in my playing so I guess I'm on the right track.

• Members

Wow, very unusual design but very artistic and cool too.

You realize that this means the wife will now have GAS occasionally for new gear?

heh. Cool. "The family that jams together makes a heck of a lot of noise together".

I know this guy, Dan Stearns. He jams with his wife on bass and his

young son on drums. Crazy power trio stuff.

Have fun! Looks like she digs it!

• Members

I just checked out their website, no mention of Dean, but they are located in Tampa, have a "V" neck, and made in Korea (just like my Dean). The brushed nickel hardware and the other features are too similar to the Dean line.

Very Hippy-centric, for sure!

Archived