Warming Drawer to Roast Neck

linthat22

• Members

Nifty. From the MM line I take it.

One question though - who the hell is Lou and what guitars does he make?
:confused:

Yeah, from the MM line. A "Melody Maker Special".

It varies a bit from your typical MM in that it has a more standard modern Gibson headstock. But it's still MM thickness.

126510613-front-l.jpg

The actual color of that fretboard is darker. Sweetwater's gallery pics always bleed out the color a lot cuz they use a bit too much light.

IMG_0173.jpg

And "Lou" is Bbreaker, our notable vintage collector, who holds the record here for starting the most "baked maple" bashing threads.

• Members

Yeah, from the MM line. A "Melody Maker Special".

It varies a bit from your typical MM in that it has a more standard modern Gibson headstock. But it's still MM thickness.

And "Lou" is Bbreaker, our notable vintage collector, who holds the record here for starting the most "baked maple" bashing threads.

Never seriously interacted with the guy - just looked at the pics - what are the chances he never even tried out a baked wood component axe? :)

• Members

you arent going to get a perfect vacuum guy, the thing is just to replace or remove the oxygen so the wood doesnt turn to charcoal.

They must partially evacuate the kiln or replace with an inert gas or something similar.

The wood samples I saw looked kind of nice, sort of maple with a medium walnut oil. What it does structurally to the wood I wouldnt want to guess until I processed and used a bunch of it.

Just because the wood is dry doesnt necessarily make it stable. You can achieve a 0% moisture content with overdrying in a regular kiln. The "roasting" or "baking" must do something structurally to the wood, in order to make the claims of being less susceptible to future changes in humidity, than traditionally dried lumber.

I just checked the costs, and it really isnt that much more $$ than regular select and better maple. I bet the whole roasted maple thing is "blown up" primarily to up-charge... and some of the companies offering it as an option are charging a serious premium on it. But, I guess that is what makes good business.. find something different that has a small benefit, play it up and market it well, and then make more $$.

AJC

• Members

Would have to be that way, especially for laminated necks.

Glued neck blanks would not withstand that temperature.

There are resins that will stand up to 350F continuous temps... vinylester being one of them ;)

WHat I meant was if there is ANY wood movement during the roasting process, it would effectively make the previously finished neck junk.

It is funny, though, that how many millions of guitar necks have been made from plain sawn hard maple - and stayed straight and true for years and years. But now, everyone wants a roasted maple neck?!

Like I said, some one has went to a good business school in order to learn how to sell us something we never knew we needed :)

AJC

• Members

Never seriously interacted with the guy - just looked at the pics - what are the chances he never even tried out a baked wood component axe?
:)

Indeed - zip.

I think it is concerning that it's harder to find rosewood on the entry level Gibsons at this time, BUT!!!! Whether or not one can live with "maple" on a Gibson should mean about the same thing as whether or not you want "maple" vs rosewood on a Fender. If you're fine with it having a hair of a brighter tone with a bit of sharper attack with a maple vs rosewood fb (which may or may not be perceptible to my ear), then there's no reason not to go baked maple. Definitely some Gibson models can benefit from maple. It's going to be pretty close in tone to their ebony FBs and you don't see anyone running scared of those. As long as it's durable and helps make the instruments more accessible to the consumer I'm not hurling tons of monkey poo at the concept. Plus I do figure that the rosewood option will probably return on their entry level models once their source issues are resolved. But for now, I just don't consider the baked maple to be inherently inferior, just "different". And I say, "vive la diff

• Members

There are resins that will stand up to 350F continuous temps... vinylester being one of them
;)

WHat I meant was if there is ANY wood movement during the roasting process, it would effectively make the previously finished neck junk.

It is funny, though, that how many millions of guitar necks have been made from plain sawn hard maple - and stayed straight and true for years and years. But now, everyone wants a roasted maple neck?!

Like I said, some one has went to a good business school in order to learn how to sell us something we never knew we needed

AJC

Don't you think that part of the benefit of the "roasted" is purely for adding a saturating color to the wood that is more complimentary with some of the traditional models? I know it's also supposed to be a bit harder, but my guess was that the color was more the driving force. With the baking process, it comes out looking like a brown sugar version of rosewood.

IMG_0173.jpg

with flash

IMG_0172.jpg

• Members

Don't you think that part of the benefit of the "roasted" is purely for adding a saturating color to the wood that is more complimentary with some of the traditional models? I know it's also supposed to be a bit harder, but my
guess
was that the color was more the driving force. With the baking process, it comes out looking like a brown sugar version of rosewood.

IMG_0173.jpg

with flash

IMG_0172.jpg

Oh, I am not really speaking directly to one maker or another - and sure, it looks great. :) More like Pau Ferro to me. I guess I was mainly thinking (as the OP asked about the whole neck) the fact that some makers now offer a baked/roasted maple as an option over the standard maple, for several hundred more $$ (even though the wood itself doesnt add that much cost). I think a lot of it has to do with good marketing, and making people believe it is a superior product and they HAVE to have it :) But, I am in business too and I dont see any problems with that. It just doesnt eliminate the fact that the same makers made a lot of very good necks before this treatment to maple was even thought up.

As for Gibson using it for fret boards, I wouldnt care either way. If I pick up a guitar and it sounds and plays well - that's what matters.

AJC

• Members

Oh, I am not really speaking directly to one maker or another - and sure, it looks great.
More like Pau Ferro to me.

Yeah, agreed. I have one of those on my neglected SRV strat. I should drag it out for a photo shoot along side the baked maples for comparison. But I'm too lazy. :bor:

• Members

Quick update.

I went ahead and had it in the drawer for 3 hours today and I have yet to notice any difference yet.

I'll take some pics and get them up. I'm gonna wait until the next round so that way you can see like a step 1 and step 2 approach.

One think I can say, I'm glad I removed that stupid varnish on the fretboard. btw, this is a one piece maple neck from an SX Musicman copy.

For reference

DSC_3149800x536.jpg

• Members

Seriously, your frets are going to spring up if you continue with that, as well as the binding could come loose or even melt (pretty sure SX uses plastic binding.)

You know, I did notice a slight "banana" shape to the frets I scalloped. But a nice block of wood and a rubber mallet fixed it. Can't wait to post some before and after shots. :thu:

Archived