What have been the highlights of your musical year?

Mark L

• Members

I have continued to get my music played as incidental music on TV shows, according to my BMI checks. I never hear these, probably because I don't watch the Biography stuff on the History Channel or My Sweet Sixteen or whatever it's called. But it's cool. This just doesn't immediately come to mind because it's music that I recorded a year or two or more ago.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Making it through my first year and first full calendar year of DTD, it continues to be great and I have come on leaps and bounds as a player, so here's to more of the same in 2013. During the summer I also joined my first cover and tribute bands, making a return to performing live after two years away from it. It took a while to really get into it again, but it makes such a difference to pull in money by playing live - don't think I'll be returning to originals!

• Members

Making it through my first year and first full calendar year of DTD, it continues to be great and I have come on leaps and bounds as a player, so here's to more of the same in 2013. During the summer I also joined my first cover and tribute bands, making a return to performing live after two years away from it. It took a while to really get into it again, but it makes such a difference to pull in money by playing live - don't think I'll be returning to originals!

• Members

The highlight of my musical year was my band playing a fund raiser for Leukemia and seeing the organizer who had her last dose of chemo the day before, dancing with pure joy when we played one of her favorite songs. She raised $6000k that night!

• Members

The highlight of my musical year was my band playing a fund raiser for Leukemia and seeing the organizer who had her last dose of chemo the day before, dancing with pure joy when we played one of her favorite songs. She raised $6000k that night!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli

View Post

I don't want to turn this into an analog vs. digital discussion, but most people don't miss the distortion in analog. They miss the fullness, presence, better sound stage, natural and musical sounding compression, etc.

Now, talking about DAWs. A lot of us are not computer people. I'm not. We're musicians. We're recording engineers. We want to get on with creating and not update, maintain, configure, read the manual over and over, trouble-shoot, reinstall, upgrade, etc. Some people live for that {censored}, but they have to understand that many of us do not. But I would agree...once it's working, leave it alone. I often generally "freeze" my rigs, and make a back-up of them when they are running really well. But anyone who says there's less maintenance with a computer DAWs with a bunch of plugins over an analog tape deck and board is completely insane, in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more and great idea to freeze your system and create recovery backups for a robust build. And I used the word distortion not to discredit, but because I didn't necessarily want to go into detail and open that can of worms. Perhaps a better word would be coloration. Analog does tend to color things in a way that seems like mamas home cookin, ie natural sounding compression as opposed to sterile digital compression which has to add fx chains to emulate analogue coloring. But per the door stop thread. Its much easier to discard crappy plugins than it is to discard expensive boat anchors.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli

View Post

I don't want to turn this into an analog vs. digital discussion, but most people don't miss the distortion in analog. They miss the fullness, presence, better sound stage, natural and musical sounding compression, etc.

Now, talking about DAWs. A lot of us are not computer people. I'm not. We're musicians. We're recording engineers. We want to get on with creating and not update, maintain, configure, read the manual over and over, trouble-shoot, reinstall, upgrade, etc. Some people live for that {censored}, but they have to understand that many of us do not. But I would agree...once it's working, leave it alone. I often generally "freeze" my rigs, and make a back-up of them when they are running really well. But anyone who says there's less maintenance with a computer DAWs with a bunch of plugins over an analog tape deck and board is completely insane, in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more and great idea to freeze your system and create recovery backups for a robust build. And I used the word distortion not to discredit, but because I didn't necessarily want to go into detail and open that can of worms. Perhaps a better word would be coloration. Analog does tend to color things in a way that seems like mamas home cookin, ie natural sounding compression as opposed to sterile digital compression which has to add fx chains to emulate analogue coloring. But per the door stop thread. Its much easier to discard crappy plugins than it is to discard expensive boat anchors.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hush

View Post

She raised $6000k that night!

That's super-inspiring!

Personally, it's all about working and growing. Having taken on a second job has been highly rewarding. And finding a mentor in Tuck Andress (he and Patti live in the area) for my

has been icing on the cake. I realize the second post in this thread sounds a little world-weary, but having been one of those duped by unscrupulous types, I'm learning to leverage more power. It doesn't mean I'm learning how to be a jerk; rather, it means growing teeth to protect what I have, and learning and doing as much as I can in the time I have left on this earth.

Working and growing!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hush

View Post

She raised $6000k that night!

That's super-inspiring!

Personally, it's all about working and growing. Having taken on a second job has been highly rewarding. And finding a mentor in Tuck Andress (he and Patti live in the area) for my

has been icing on the cake. I realize the second post in this thread sounds a little world-weary, but having been one of those duped by unscrupulous types, I'm learning to leverage more power. It doesn't mean I'm learning how to be a jerk; rather, it means growing teeth to protect what I have, and learning and doing as much as I can in the time I have left on this earth.

Working and growing!

• Members

I've finished 2 out of 3 albums that is part of a really long process of getting to be ok with being an artist not a commodity. The struggle to be free has nearly been enough to kill me, but a generation of {censored} gone by the wayside has helped me really understand my priorities and motivations. I love women as long as they're not wearing anything, bent over and panting, and about 5'4" 130lbs soaking wett, and brunette. Blondees too.

Now that I have my artistic chops where I want them, a last push to have a world class project studio is within my grasp at last. Thanks to alot of hard work, some stubborn determination and a serious amount of doing without. I want what I have and intend to keep it. You all can do what you will for I dont have a

CARE ABOUT THE BUSINESS THAT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ME.

• Moderators

And...

While helping a friend test out his new RME converters, I agreed to play and sing while he fiddled about with the rig. the thing is, we started the night as a boys night of just drinking to decompress. A rare night of frivolity. So here I am pretty gone. A couple of 414's in Blumien, a U87, his stock RME pres and converters and some phones.

So I just went off singing old songs. Some tempos were dangerously slow and morose. There was the "occasional" slurring of words. Even the pitch was suspect. The result? Well, the converters are pretty amazing for stock, but more important, on playback the next day? I was reminded how cool it can be to just not give a rat's ass when performing. It is ironic how some of the best stuff I've ever done, after years of professional works, was on that drunken night being silly and having fun.

And it's wonderful and one of this year's musical highlights to report that that lesson is entirely transferable to a the sober, performing me!. smile.gif

• Moderators

And...

While helping a friend test out his new RME converters, I agreed to play and sing while he fiddled about with the rig. the thing is, we started the night as a boys night of just drinking to decompress. A rare night of frivolity. So here I am pretty gone. A couple of 414's in Blumien, a U87, his stock RME pres and converters and some phones.

So I just went off singing old songs. Some tempos were dangerously slow and morose. There was the "occasional" slurring of words. Even the pitch was suspect. The result? Well, the converters are pretty amazing for stock, but more important, on playback the next day? I was reminded how cool it can be to just not give a rat's ass when performing. It is ironic how some of the best stuff I've ever done, after years of professional works, was on that drunken night being silly and having fun.

And it's wonderful and one of this year's musical highlights to report that that lesson is entirely transferable to a the sober, performing me!. smile.gif

• Members

In April the blues jam group I play with was featured in a front page article in the local paper (McGregor Iowa), with interviews of myself and a couple of the other guys.

- sat in on live sessions with a number of guys living around here who are members of the Rock & Roll and Blues Hall of Fame.

- learned to play slide guitar while my left hand was in a cast for 2 months from bone surgery.

- got an offer to form a blues duet to compete in the Iowa Blues Challenge this year, from the guy who won in 2008

- made contacts with 3 more public radio DJs who want to feature my album when it is complete.

• Members

In April the blues jam group I play with was featured in a front page article in the local paper (McGregor Iowa), with interviews of myself and a couple of the other guys.

- sat in on live sessions with a number of guys living around here who are members of the Rock & Roll and Blues Hall of Fame.

- learned to play slide guitar while my left hand was in a cast for 2 months from bone surgery.

- got an offer to form a blues duet to compete in the Iowa Blues Challenge this year, from the guy who won in 2008

- made contacts with 3 more public radio DJs who want to feature my album when it is complete.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbroni

View Post

That's right. You can't hold the door open with an unused plugin!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbroni

View Post

That's right. You can't hold the door open with an unused plugin!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Archived