What have been the highlights of your musical year?

Mark L

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Just outta curiosity, have you tried recording at really high sample rates, like 192kHz? Some smart people I know were on the "digital is crap" side of the fence, but have been swearing to me that recording at 192kHz makes a significant difference - far more than the difference between 96 and 44.1. They say it has nothing to do with frequency response, but the ability to reproduce phase angles properly idn_smilie.gif

Phase angles, sounds important!

Interestingly i have been reading some posts stating that the user dislikes 192 very much and claims it is inherently broken!

I have never used it. Perhaps i will try it soon.

Btw i will still track to digital but in a Radar, just no more DAW nonsense except for specific editing and processing tasks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Just outta curiosity, have you tried recording at really high sample rates, like 192kHz? Some smart people I know were on the "digital is crap" side of the fence, but have been swearing to me that recording at 192kHz makes a significant difference - far more than the difference between 96 and 44.1. They say it has nothing to do with frequency response, but the ability to reproduce phase angles properly idn_smilie.gif

Phase angles, sounds important!

Interestingly i have been reading some posts stating that the user dislikes 192 very much and claims it is inherently broken!

I have never used it. Perhaps i will try it soon.

Btw i will still track to digital but in a Radar, just no more DAW nonsense except for specific editing and processing tasks.

• Members

I've got my DAW running quite well, thankfully, thankfully, but I know all too well about the headaches, constant maintenance, problems, etc. that roomjello mentions. I love the editing, the automation for sure, a lot of the tools at my disposal, and some of the work flow, but dayam, it can be a royal-sized pain in the rear. I'm going to probably more or less "freeze" what I have and run it for hopefully a few more years until I absolutely have to get something else, and then I'll re-evaluate what I need to get. I keep hearing that RADAR sounds good.

• Members

I've got my DAW running quite well, thankfully, thankfully, but I know all too well about the headaches, constant maintenance, problems, etc. that roomjello mentions. I love the editing, the automation for sure, a lot of the tools at my disposal, and some of the work flow, but dayam, it can be a royal-sized pain in the rear. I'm going to probably more or less "freeze" what I have and run it for hopefully a few more years until I absolutely have to get something else, and then I'll re-evaluate what I need to get. I keep hearing that RADAR sounds good.

• Members

Hi,

A few things happened to make 2012 a good musical year for me.

At NAMM I got to hang with Craig A, Jon C, Phil O'Keefe and Chris L which was fun. My son was with me and that was a great experience.

I tried a Collings I-35LC and decided to buy one which ended my very long search for a good 335-type guitar.

Recorded my CD, also together with my son Christoffer who is a very good drummer.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

Hi,

A few things happened to make 2012 a good musical year for me.

At NAMM I got to hang with Craig A, Jon C, Phil O'Keefe and Chris L which was fun. My son was with me and that was a great experience.

I tried a Collings I-35LC and decided to buy one which ended my very long search for a good 335-type guitar.

Recorded my CD, also together with my son Christoffer who is a very good drummer.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

I'll keep you posted on how the journey goes.

I just know i cannot go on with the sound of the DAW the way i am presently using it.

Perhaps i am pinpointing with too large a percent in one area or the other but i am changing EVERYTHING and starting from another angle.

I look at it as growth.

• Members

I just know i cannot go on with the sound of the DAW the way i am presently using it.

Perhaps i am pinpointing with too large a percent in one area or the other but i am changing EVERYTHING and starting from another angle.

I look at it as growth.

• Members

I look at it as growth.

• Members

I look at it as growth.

• Members

If your not a computer person DAW's can be a royal pita for maintenance type stuff. Once they're running tho its pretty sweet, I think. Its best a lot of times to leave them alone when they're working.

My main problem is not hardware and software issues or crappy sound. Digital sounding "crappy" can come from so many sources its really tough to say what the issue is without knowing the details of your equipment and setup, I certainly can't believe its a general truth. You maybe missing some analog distortion that you had from the past, which you can obtain by sending out to analog stuff and resampling.

Anyway my biggest concern with the digital world is that there can be a stifling effect of having all those in the box fx and plugins. It can be really difficult to apply the kiss method when you have all that power at your finger tips. A lot of times less is more when it comes to fx. But then you sit there and cycle thru 20 different convolutions reverbs and its easy to lose sight of the original inspiration.

• Members

If your not a computer person DAW's can be a royal pita for maintenance type stuff. Once they're running tho its pretty sweet, I think. Its best a lot of times to leave them alone when they're working.

My main problem is not hardware and software issues or crappy sound. Digital sounding "crappy" can come from so many sources its really tough to say what the issue is without knowing the details of your equipment and setup, I certainly can't believe its a general truth. You maybe missing some analog distortion that you had from the past, which you can obtain by sending out to analog stuff and resampling.

Anyway my biggest concern with the digital world is that there can be a stifling effect of having all those in the box fx and plugins. It can be really difficult to apply the kiss method when you have all that power at your finger tips. A lot of times less is more when it comes to fx. But then you sit there and cycle thru 20 different convolutions reverbs and its easy to lose sight of the original inspiration.

• Members

I don't want to turn this into an analog vs. digital discussion, but most people don't miss the distortion in analog. They miss the fullness, presence, better sound stage, natural and musical sounding compression, etc.

Now, talking about DAWs. A lot of us are not computer people. I'm not. We're musicians. We're recording engineers. We want to get on with creating and not update, maintain, configure, read the manual over and over, trouble-shoot, reinstall, upgrade, etc. Some people live for that {censored}, but they have to understand that many of us do not. But I would agree...once it's working, leave it alone. I often generally "freeze" my rigs, and make a back-up of them when they are running really well. But anyone who says there's less maintenance with a computer DAWs with a bunch of plugins over an analog tape deck and board is completely insane, in my opinion.

• Members

I don't want to turn this into an analog vs. digital discussion, but most people don't miss the distortion in analog. They miss the fullness, presence, better sound stage, natural and musical sounding compression, etc.

Now, talking about DAWs. A lot of us are not computer people. I'm not. We're musicians. We're recording engineers. We want to get on with creating and not update, maintain, configure, read the manual over and over, trouble-shoot, reinstall, upgrade, etc. Some people live for that {censored}, but they have to understand that many of us do not. But I would agree...once it's working, leave it alone. I often generally "freeze" my rigs, and make a back-up of them when they are running really well. But anyone who says there's less maintenance with a computer DAWs with a bunch of plugins over an analog tape deck and board is completely insane, in my opinion.

• Members

I don't know that I have any one specific thing that is the highlight this past year. We've continued recording The Mercury Seven stuff. It's ambient soundscapes, improvised electronic music. People who like Brian Eno, Cluster, Harmonia, Pink Floyd, or Vidna Obmana might like this stuff...although our second release looks like it's shaping up to be far more frenetic, filled with "idiot energy", as Eno loves to say, and more like Can or other higher-energy stuff than our previous release.

Other than that, I've probably had more obvious highlights and successes in photography this year. But nonetheless, I'm rather pleased with the music.

Oh, I did record a band called Break On Through, a Doors tribute band, and was really pleased with how the recordings came out.

And that's my '67 SG in the video as well.

This was tracked and mixed here at Blueberry Buddha Recording Studios, and the video was filmed here as well.

• Members

I don't know that I have any one specific thing that is the highlight this past year. We've continued recording The Mercury Seven stuff. It's ambient soundscapes, improvised electronic music. People who like Brian Eno, Cluster, Harmonia, Pink Floyd, or Vidna Obmana might like this stuff...although our second release looks like it's shaping up to be far more frenetic, filled with "idiot energy", as Eno loves to say, and more like Can or other higher-energy stuff than our previous release.

Other than that, I've probably had more obvious highlights and successes in photography this year. But nonetheless, I'm rather pleased with the music.

Oh, I did record a band called Break On Through, a Doors tribute band, and was really pleased with how the recordings came out.

And that's my '67 SG in the video as well.

This was tracked and mixed here at Blueberry Buddha Recording Studios, and the video was filmed here as well.

• Members

Not much to say really, although I just upgraded Digital Performer from version 5 to version 8, and discovered to my surprise and delight that an issue I had with the SupaPhaser plugin is magically resolved. I love this plugin and now it's easier to use!

Pretty boring reply, I really wish I had a more exciting one.

• Members

Not much to say really, although I just upgraded Digital Performer from version 5 to version 8, and discovered to my surprise and delight that an issue I had with the SupaPhaser plugin is magically resolved. I love this plugin and now it's easier to use!

Pretty boring reply, I really wish I had a more exciting one.

• Members

Best live show-Los Strait Jackets and Big Sandy and the Flyright Boys

Best Local Band: Flowtilla

Best show I played: 4/20 Show with the grandson of a jazz legend smoking a bong in the front row

Recorded music highlights-going to the Balkans and returning with over a dozen CDs, nearly all of them good. My Favorite Devla by Boban i Marko Markovic Orchestar. My other major musical kick this year was rediscovering swing jazz guitar, esp. George Barnes. Sadly, after he died I also learned how versatile and great rock-blues-jazz guitarist Micky Baker was.

Best music on video: Abstract Logix Live 2010 with John McLaughlin & The 4th Dimension featuring Zakir Hussain, Jimmy Herring Band, Wayne Krantz, Lenny White's Anomaly, Ranjit Barot

513T2Xfdx5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Members

Best live show-Los Strait Jackets and Big Sandy and the Flyright Boys

Best Local Band: Flowtilla

Best show I played: 4/20 Show with the grandson of a jazz legend smoking a bong in the front row

Recorded music highlights-going to the Balkans and returning with over a dozen CDs, nearly all of them good. My Favorite Devla by Boban i Marko Markovic Orchestar. My other major musical kick this year was rediscovering swing jazz guitar, esp. George Barnes. Sadly, after he died I also learned how versatile and great rock-blues-jazz guitarist Micky Baker was.

Best music on video: Abstract Logix Live 2010 with John McLaughlin & The 4th Dimension featuring Zakir Hussain, Jimmy Herring Band, Wayne Krantz, Lenny White's Anomaly, Ranjit Barot

513T2Xfdx5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Members

I have continued to get my music played as incidental music on TV shows, according to my BMI checks. I never hear these, probably because I don't watch the Biography stuff on the History Channel or My Sweet Sixteen or whatever it's called. But it's cool. This just doesn't immediately come to mind because it's music that I recorded a year or two or more ago.

Archived