What have been the highlights of your musical year?

Mark L

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I mixed and produced several albums. Couple of tunes became "Best rock-song" and "Best Song" in AK in 2012. You could check it here:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/i...ht/id540434581

But the most surprising project happened at the end of 2012. I was asked to remix in surround recording done on tape 30 years ago! That was something! Again, I was working with a huge track recorder transferring 4 tracks and then keeping everything as pristine as possible.

This sound of tape! Fat, full-bodied, silky highs

• Members

I mixed and produced several albums. Couple of tunes became "Best rock-song" and "Best Song" in AK in 2012. You could check it here:

But the most surprising project happened at the end of 2012. I was asked to remix in surround recording done on tape 30 years ago! That was something! Again, I was working with a huge track recorder transferring 4 tracks and then keeping everything as pristine as possible.

• Members

• Members

I went to a "coffee house" concert to see a couple of my favorite performers, The Duo-Tones. They are Paul Johnson, one of the founding fathers of surf music, who has been playing with the Surfaries (there's only one original member left) of Wipeout fame for quite a while, and Gil Orr, who has been playing with the Chantays (Pipeline) for decades (as well as being an excellent jazz player). Together, they play the old 60's surf tunes, and other instrumentals without bass or drums, both acoustically, and plugged in. This particular night, Paul was very late in showing up, and after a half hour of Gil entertaining us with some jazz, he invited me on stage to play a couple of surf tunes with him. It was quite a thrill for me, even though I suffer from almost crippling stage fright.

P1000716modified.jpg

• Members

I went to a "coffee house" concert to see a couple of my favorite performers, The Duo-Tones. They are Paul Johnson, one of the founding fathers of surf music, who has been playing with the Surfaries (there's only one original member left) of Wipeout fame for quite a while, and Gil Orr, who has been playing with the Chantays (Pipeline) for decades (as well as being an excellent jazz player). Together, they play the old 60's surf tunes, and other instrumentals without bass or drums, both acoustically, and plugged in. This particular night, Paul was very late in showing up, and after a half hour of Gil entertaining us with some jazz, he invited me on stage to play a couple of surf tunes with him. It was quite a thrill for me, even though I suffer from almost crippling stage fright.

P1000716modified.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Leites View Post

P1000716modified.jpg
That is really cool, Jeff!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Leites View Post

P1000716modified.jpg
That is really cool, Jeff!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Luke17 View Post
So Roomjello is a 'Nancy Boy' Stalker who eats 'Sour Grapes?'

Sounds like the perfect scenario for a 'Lifetime' TV channel Movie.
I read Roomjello's question as valid.

For someone who's producing that kind of treacly Euro-pop, do they really like it or is it just a gig? idn_smilie.gif

I had a gig doing some treacly music once, and the truth is... I did like it facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Luke17 View Post
So Roomjello is a 'Nancy Boy' Stalker who eats 'Sour Grapes?'

Sounds like the perfect scenario for a 'Lifetime' TV channel Movie.
I read Roomjello's question as valid.

For someone who's producing that kind of treacly Euro-pop, do they really like it or is it just a gig? idn_smilie.gif

I had a gig doing some treacly music once, and the truth is... I did like it facepalm.gif

• Members

Yeah, come on Chris, have a bit of a sense of humour about it.
I hate that music, but you probably would hate some music i dig. Doesn't matter.
As long as you are happy, it shouldn't matter if you are tested or jabbed, if it does you might want to put some thought into why it matters.
I'm concerned that people follow their heart and nothing else. If you're good, so am i.

BTW, I'm not jealous, although i do find you somewhat attractive in a smart guy doing mixing kinda way.
But my love will go unknown as long as i am ignored.

• Members

My annoyance is that he/she posts the exact same snarky comment every time I mention a record I've done. First time it didn't bother me so I answered at length. Second time I gave him/her the benefit of the doubt that he forgot he already made that comment toward me and that I had already answered it. Third time, seems pretty obvious he's just trying to be a nuisance.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
My annoyance is that he/she posts the exact same snarky comment every time I mention a record I've done. First time it didn't bother me so I answered at length. Second time I gave him/her the benefit of the doubt that he forgot he already made that comment toward me and that I had already answered it. Third time, seems pretty obvious he's just trying to be a nuisance.
You seem to have added One occurrence in there. I went back and looked at the other thread...
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...=#post46747026
and i was quite polite i thought.
I asked reasonable questions.
You did put some effort into answering those questions but i think it was painfully obvious that you were working very hard to justify making a living. Not required.
That wasn't the inquiry, we all have to make a living.

As someone who has lived and breathed music your whole life, it would occur to me, that you may have, out of the corner of your ear, caught wind of something, anything, that resonated with a deeper part of you at some point, that's all.

• Members

Lots of musical highlights in 2012 for me. I've gotten to perform with and record some of my favorite musicians, whose names might not be household words but they're talented as all hell, and wonderful human beings too, people I would be glad to hang out with anyway even if we didn't work together.

I also pretty much completed my studio upgrades. I'm now very, very happy with the sounds I'm getting in my home studio, and feel like I can just get on with working and being creative without having to fuss over sound. The end of a decade-plus long fight, for me.

So that's the cliff notes. This looks to be a very busy year.

• Members

I got one step closer to a lot of things. 2013 looks like the year that a ton of my stuff will be completed and released. I didn't have any specific musical highlights....just a lot of soul searching and realizations about my workflow when it comes to mixing client's records and making my own. So I guess you could say I learned a lot this year. I'm constantly booked so I'm happy about that.

I do have some interesting developments that could be pretty substantial and could possibly affect a lot of people (in a good way), but unfortunately, that's all I can say about that right now. This year is all about these ideas coming to fruition. And I'm working on them as I speak so it's time to get back to work!

Archived