Threaded inserts: our new argument

Belva

• Members

The best part about this thread is people are still managing to argue and putting in their two cents amid all the jokes.

I've gone both ways with this thread. Obviously it was intended tongue-in-cheek but for whatever reason this forum has been ripe for heated debate lately

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How many millions of guitars have been made since say a Charlie Christian Gibson?

How many have metal neck mount inserts?

Pretty much every Taylor acoustic has bolt on neck with metal inserts in the neck.

Ed Roman Guitars uses them :).

• Members

Pretty much every Taylor acoustic has bolt on neck with metal inserts in the neck.

Yes...and the neck can be visually separating yet still completely to spec and playing fine with the same low action and everything.

I think you caught ol' meowy sleeping on that one. As for bolt on electrics, people buy them without the inserts so the builders don't bother...besides, then they'd have to worry about properly seating the inserts after drilling the holes and if they don't install them they have to just drill the pilots and screw the neck on.

• Members

Ok so 1 major manufacturer in the last 80 years...

And look at Ed roman now.

Now I KNOW it's not your assertion that using neck inserts somehow resulted in the death of Ed Roman. Absent that, I'm not sure how him being dead has anything whatsoever to do with the topic at hand (him being a douche also has nothing to do with the topic at hand).

• Members

Now I KNOW it's not your assertion that using neck inserts somehow resulted in the death of Ed Roman. Absent that, I'm not sure how him being dead has anything whatsoever to do with the topic at hand (him being a douche also has nothing to do with the topic at hand).

No,actually I AM suggesting it was an industrial accident in the neck mounting department. Any other assertion was a corporate cover-up

• Members

I've already mythbusted this erroneous statement.

But if denial allows you to sleep at night, thats cool too.

how did you myth bust it? did you somehow find actual evidence of improved sustain?

I use them, and find zero difference in tone. i only use it because i dont want my necks to be stripped.

• Members

I would be amazed if there was any difference in tone or sustain.. But then, isn't that just more reason to use them? The risk of stripping a screw vs. wood connection is fairly high, but if you strip the threaded insert, you just install a new one. To me, it's all win with inserts.

• Members

Fender Custom Shop uses them on the Malmsteen strats. A $12,500 strat mind you.....

See? They must be good if the ones that are $12,500 have them.

Just wait...in two months everyone with a CV anything will be installing them.

Bottom line: they make mechanical sense and there is no way that you good get the mating surfaces in the pocket tighter.

Oh...and Elias...I just kicked a little voodoo doll of you.:)

• Members

Oh...and Elias...I just kicked a little voodoo doll of you.
:)

but the CV series does not require any upgrades. :lol:

to be honest I didnt even know that Fender CS offered a strat with inserts until recently. not a malmsteen fan either.

• Members

How many millions of guitars have been made since say a Charlie Christian Gibson?

How many have metal neck mount inserts?

Someone would have found a mass-production or custom shop benefit by now

I expect it would be more expensive to use the metal inserts, if for no other reason than the materials cost. Metal inserts and well-machined bolts have to cost more than a few cheap wood screws.

• Members

I hear that clapton only uses gold inserts because it forms better to the wood thus increasing the transfer of sound waves

The other nice thing about gold is that the surface won't oxidize. Too much oxidation on your inserts can give you a dull, lifeless tone.

• Members

Everybody knows that higher frequencies travel faster than lower frequencies. To get the most out of your threaded inserts you should put 24TPI inserts on the bass side and 32TPI on the treble side. That way the sound gets to the pickups all at the same time.

The hard question is which locktite has the best tone. On a strat I'd use green for more quack, on a jackson I'd use red because red is faster (of course!).

Family_loctiteweb_02_148925_web_606W.jpg

• Members

I would be amazed if there was any difference in tone or sustain.. But then, isn't that just more reason to use them? The risk of stripping a screw vs. wood connection is fairly high, but if you strip the threaded insert, you just install a new one. To me, it's all win with inserts.

:thu:

Archived