Changing from Rotomatics to Waverly/Kluson type tuners

honeyiscool

• Members

You better check the sizes of the holes if you're serious.

Those types of tuners use smaller bushings and you'll have to use adaptor bushings.

I do believe less mass in the headstock can have an effect on tone on a lighter neck.

Ive done plenty of guitars going the other way around and could detect some loss of

resonance with all that metal added.

• Members

Honestly, I'd only bother with a weight related tuner change on a bass. How much are you going to potentially save here? A matter of grams surely?

If there are additional aesthetic/functional reasons then go for it.

Grovers are around 9.6-9.8 oz, whereas Waverly style tuners are 4.7 oz (w/ conversion bushings weight about 0.5 oz). I think a change of 4.4 oz or so at the end of a long lever arm might make a difference on an instrument that only weighs 6 lb 13.8 oz to begin with (and that, w/ a Bigsby tailpiece).

• Members

Hmm... I tried this thing where I took the guitar and removed three of the Rotomatics to see if that would improve weight balance, and it didn't.

I'm starting to think that the guitar's not actually neck-heavy, but that it naturally just likes to be horizontal.

• Members

Dude, that did the trick, customtele. I took a spare strap button and placed it over the neck bolt and then found a really long wood screw to hold it in place (the Gibson mounting screws from DiMarzio ClipLocks, very handy!).

img0269yk.jpg

It balances perfectly now! Thank you so much! The black screw looks weird but who cares, I can play leads standing now.

You just saved me a lot of money and headache.

Archived