Johnny Winter

blazingblake

• Members

I just saw Johnny Winter on David Letterman he can still play, he was playing dust my broom slide on his firebird. He had a second guitarist with him, he was sitting down like the old blues guys which he is now. Good to see he's still out there playing I saw him back in 1987 or so with Robin Trower on the bill as well great show.

• Members

One of the real unsung heroes IMO. I saw him about seven years ago and he looked like he was on his last leg then - he's so frail and walks so slow. Glad to hear he's still doin it and even if he's not still the fastest guitarslinger around anymore, he's still the tastiest blues slide player in my book.

• Members

I had the pleasure of opening for Johnny Winter a few times... he still had it 10 years ago. He can barely see from what I remember and had to be led from the car, through the backstage area, and to the stage.

• Members

He still plays great, but not with the same blistering energy as (yikes) thirty years ago. Paul Nelson, his manager, guitarist, bandleader, is a great player in his prime. He has a lot to do with Johnny's resurgent health and career. I caught Johnny a few weeks back at a local roadhouse. Now he's playing "Winter in winter" at BB King's Times Square, three times this month, I believe. His voice sounds better than it did ten years ago, I think.

• Members

Johnny Winter helped me win a bet one time. Back when I was in college, in the late 60's, I was having a discussion with an African American friend who made a statement something like "white people can't play the blues". So I made him a bet that I could prove him wrong. I put on a Johnny Winter album, probably his first album, and played it for my friend, without showing him the cover. After a few minutes, he said emphatically: "that guy ain't white". At which point I showed him the cover and said "they don't get any whiter!" We both had a good laugh and I think I won a dollar.

I was a huge Johnny Winter fan back in the day, and like others here, am glad to see him still hanging in there.

• Members

i listened to 3rd degree a few weeks ago, and can't say i remember much. is there something else i should listen to?

My favorites are his debut from '68 or '69, Johnny Winter and the follow-up Second Winter. Nothin' But the Blues on Blue Sky Records from the mid-'70s is another good one. His stuff on Alligator Records is good, but I prefer the three aforementioned records. I was never a big fan of the "Johnny Winter And" band, although Johnny Winter And Live is his best selling LP. I really loved the soul of Edgar Winter's White Trash when I was a kid in the early '70s and that's what eventually brought me to being a fan of Johnny's all those years ago.

I've posted this before elsewhere on this site, and if you like this, you should enjoy the first two records:

Archived