When you trade a guitar w/case to GC Do they....

awd83

• Members

I've only traded in one guitar to them, and I've never bought a used one from them. I really wish I had kept the case I traded with my Soltero. IIRC, I asked if I could keep it and the guy told me not for the price he gave me.

• Members

I've only traded in one guitar to them, and I've never bought a used one from them. I really wish I had kept the case I traded with my Soltero. IIRC, I asked if I could keep it and the guy told me not for the price he gave me.

I hate people who insist on the case. I mean if it was a hardshell custom sure, but just a friggin gig bag?

• Members

I totally regret trading in the Epiphone SG case I bought with my Wishire when I traded it in. Got $10 bucks for it. Now I have a Gibson SG and the combination case lock doesn't work on the case that came with it. I have to pop the case lock open with a pick! The Epi case would have been perfect and made it less desirable for someone to steal. :(

• Members

Now I have a Gibson SG and the combination case lock doesn't work on the case that came with it. I have to pop the case lock open with a pick! The Epi case would have been perfect and made it less desirable for someone to steal.

To reset the combination on a Gibson case,

Remove the plastic retainer from the lock if you are changing the combination from the factory preset.

Set the combination to your current combination or 0-0-0, if you are changing the combination from the factory preset.

Slide the button used to open the lock to the right, opposite the direction you push to open the case.

Hold the button there and change your combination to a new three-digit code.

Let go of the button when you are finished.

Read more: How to Change the Lock Combination on a Gibson Guitar Case | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7712371_change-combination-gibson-guitar-case.html#ixzz1kxzgOogy

• Members
To reset the combination on a Gibson case,

Remove the plastic retainer from the lock if you are changing the combination from the factory preset.

Set the combination to your current combination or 0-0-0, if you are changing the combination from the factory preset.

Slide the button used to open the lock to the right, opposite the direction you push to open the case.

Hold the button there and change your combination to a new three-digit code.

Let go of the button when you are finished.

Read more: How to Change the Lock Combination on a Gibson Guitar Case | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/how_7712371_change-combination-gibson-guitar-case.html#ixzz1kxzgOogy

I didn't forget the combination, but will give this a shot anyway. Thanks for the tip! :thu:

• Members

I totally regret trading in the Epiphone SG case I bought with my Wishire when I traded it in. Got $10 bucks for it. Now I have a Gibson SG and the combination case lock doesn't work on the case that came with it. I have to pop the case lock open with a pick! The Epi case would have been perfect and made it less desirable for someone to steal.
:(

I have two Gibson cases with the combo lock, and both had to be taken off. They break and they suck. They're also completely unnecessary. If someone is going to steal your guitar, they are certainly not going to take it out of the case first. That's just silly.

But if you're saying the Epi logo on the case is a theft deterrent (as compared to a Gibson logo), then yeah, I'd agree.

• Members

I've never sold a guitar to GC but I know this. If you ask them if they have any used cases they'll say no and they almost never get them in. But if you buy a used guitar and tell them you've pretty much have to have a case as part of the deal. Used cases magically appear all over the place.

• Members

Some reasonably priced used guitars have really nice factory gig bags that tend to "walk off". Think PRS SE. I just bought a used Warwick bass for my son that was traded in at a local emporium, sans bag (which I understand are nice). Forces me to buy a nice bag. Arrgh.

• Members

Up here, from my experiences, L&M will give you the case that was traded in. I haven't had to haggle for a case, nor have cases just magically appeared for me. It either came with a case, or none at all.

I bought a used Washburn X series guitar for 59 bucks once and it came with the original hardshell case. My Ric also came with a case, but then again, it's hard to nick that. My used PRS SE's came with the gigbags, and my used Fender MIM strats came with Fender deluxe gigbags.

• Members

Yeah, one of my local GCs has a section of used guitar cases, mostly marked at $50, and they have tape on them that says which guitar they came in with.

On the other hand, I've bought at least one guitar there (a Hamer 335 type) that came with the case with no begging, pleading, haggling or threatening.

On the OTHER hand, I always ask if they have any used Godin or PRS/PRS SE gigbags and have been told 'no' about 55 times and 'yes' twice.

Don't know what that means other than to say I don't think it's 100% one way or the other.

• Members

Some reasonably priced used guitars have really nice factory gig bags that tend to "walk off". Think PRS SE. I just bought a used Warwick bass for my son that was traded in at a local emporium, sans bag (which I understand are nice). Forces me to buy a nice bag. Arrgh.

Yeah a Fender bag and a PRS one are the ones I liked the best.

• Members

Each GC store does pretty much what they want IMO.

Some time ago, I traded a Gibson Hall Of Fame TV DC Les Paul Junior with case to the East Brunswick GC.

Soon after, when I visited that store, the manager involved in the trade wasn't in.

I decided to check the honesty of the assist. manager.

I asked about that Hall Of Fame TV Jr. Played it. Yeah, it was definitely the guitar that used to belong to me.

So I ask the assist. manager if it comes with a case. He checks and tells me that the case is extra. So, I tell him the good news.....that it was formally owned by me and that I traded it with the original case.

The guy doesn't say another word and turns and walks away.

I do a lot of business with GC but I don't trust them for a minute.

If GC has what I want and get it for what I want, I'll deal with the devil.

Archived