People in the drum forum are having a go at us guitarists!

Mr Songwriter

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's funny because it's not typed out correctly, so when reading it- it sounds bad. It's like a guy who just shat himself making fun of a guy who pissed his pants.

I disagree. It's difficult to type bad timing, but I thought he did fairly well.

I would have gone with, "Why... ARE!!!... drummers!... lousy comedians TIMing" myself, but I'm an exceptionally bad drummer.

• Members

I disagree. It's difficult to type bad timing, but I thought he did fairly well.

I would have gone with, "Why... ARE!!!... drummers!... lousy
comedians
TIMing
" myself, but I'm an exceptionally bad drummer.

It should be:

Why are drummers lousy comedians?

Because they're too busy {censored}ing the lead guitarists wife.

yeah- that's a good joke.

• Members

Some funny stuff in this thread. As a guitarist (though a drummer during my school years) my take is that NO rock band will be good unless the drummer (along with the bass player) can lay down a tight, driving groove.

Btw...the best guitarist I have ever heard one-on-one, was actually the drummer in his current band. Blindfolded, you just might bet your life that Jimi and Stevie Ray were being channeled by Vai and blended all together. A large music shop, full of customers, came to a halt and everyone headed in his direction when he plugged in and started to play. Never actually heard him play drums, but based on his guitar-playing skills, I would bet he killed on the drums, as well. I was told at the time that the guitarist in his band was much better than he.

• Members

Some funny stuff in this thread. As a guitarist (though a drummer during my school years) my take is that NO rock band will be good unless the drummer (along with the bass player) can lay down a tight, driving groove.

Btw...the best guitarist I have ever heard one-on-one, was actually the drummer in his current band. Blindfolded, you just might bet your life that Jimi and Stevie Ray were being channeled by Vai and blended all together. A large music shop, full of customers, came to a halt and everyone headed in his direction when he plugged in and started to play. Never actually heard him play drums, but based on his guitar-playing skills, I would bet he killed on the drums, as well. I was told at the time that the guitarist in his band was much better than he.

As a drummer I am biased in that regard but I do agree a great band starts with the rhythm section. But ultimately a band is only as great as it's weakest link. Without great guitarists weaving interesting melodies and singers entertaining, a great rhythm section doesn't mean much more than just that.

• Members

As a drummer I am biased in that regard but I do agree a great band starts with the rhythm section. But ultimately a band is only as great as it's weakest link. Without great guitarists weaving interesting melodies and singers entertaining, a great rhythm section doesn't mean much more than just that.

I disagree. I've heard bands where a good drummer made up for a bad guitarist, but a bad drummer will ruin the entire band.

• Members

I disagree. I've heard bands where a good drummer made up for a bad guitarist, but a bad drummer will ruin the entire band.

well we must be talking about some pretty hack bands then...and yes I agree in those circumstances. I was more referring to "bigger" bands where everyone is competent but maybe not the greatest player.

Like for example Meg White is NOT a great drummer by anyone's stretch of the imagination but I LIKE what she does, and Jack more than makes up for her weaknesses by his own creativity and his ability to lock into her lack of time. Fact is the white stripes totally groove and groove well. In that case the guitarist does "carry" the band.

Archived