Recommend a soldering iron/soldering kit to learn on

elsupermanny14

• Members

I think it's about time I learn how to solder and wire some basic electronics. I have built a few cars (body work and paint prep only, no electronics) and so I think I might have a bit of a craftsman in me to learn how to soldier electronics.

I would like to learn how to wire pickups, switches, pots, etc. and eventually move on to making a few pedals for fun.

Could you guys recommend a good soldering iron or soldering kit to learn with? I would like something maybe "middle of the road" in quality so that I don't have upgrade anytime soon.

I'm sure I can youtube a lot of soldering lessons but if you guys have in mind that I should take a look at feel free to recommend it.

Thanks guys!

• Members

A cheap soldering iron (a.k.a. -- soldering pencil) from Wallyworld will be plenty adequate for learning and will also be enough for just about any guitar electronics repair/upgrade job. Of course, today's solder sucks compared to the lead + tin solder that was recently phased out.

• Members

Ignore him--that's not for electronics, it's for metalwork like leaded windows. You want a pencil iron, something like the old woodburner sets kids had. Just go to Radio Shack.

it was a joke, but I actually do use it, a weller 80 watt with a big bit, and I get the job done just fine. :) especially when making a connection to the surface of a pot, a small weak iron can really struggle there.

and I'll make the broader point that if you get something without enough power it'll just make learning more frustrating. you want something that heats up hot, and does it fast, otherwise you'll always be pissed off in the long run. recommend 60 watts.

re. soldering there isn't a lot to it, the goal is to make both surfaces (the wire and the tab, or whatever they are) both hot enough that the solder can cover them in a liquid state. if one or both isn't hot enough you'll end up with solder that blobs on top of them rather than actually forms one joint.

having a hotter iron makes it easier to get the surfaces hot enough, and faster. as someone who started with an iron that wasn't powerful enough, back in the day, I can tell you a hot iron makes all the difference.

• Members

I'm new at it myself, and it's been a great thing to learn.

One thing I highly recommend is getting one that comes with a base that has a holder for the iron...it's been really, really helpful to have a stable place to rest the hot iron. I ended up with a cheap Radio Shack model, has both 20 and 40 watt settings. I think it was $25 and has a base and a coil spring holder.

• Members

I've wired a dozen guitars and built 2 amps with a $12 soldering pencil. I completely agree with Nsomniac that buying an iron holder is a good investment. I would also recommend a cheap "second hand" vise with alligator clip arms.

second%20hand.jpg

Whatever you end up getting, make sure you can get new tips easily for it. Shouldn't be a problem, but make sure you don't get an iron with some weird diameter tip that you need to special order. Having a good tip is the difference between "{censored} this sucks" and "I'm already done where's my beer"

The only real drawback I've noticed for standard guitar wiring with a little 30w pencil is that, at least with a standard needle tip, getting enough heat into the back of a pot to melt solder on it takes awhile. I've never burnt a pot out or anything, but it's frustrating. Especially since it seems like the grounds on the pots are always the tightest connections, in that they want to pull off, and unless you possess 3 hands, it's tough to hold an iron, solder, and wires all at the same time. I've burnt myself a couple times doing the finger gymnastics required for these connections.

That said, I'm currently looking for a reasonably priced variable output station. I figure I do enough wiring that I can justify spending a few bucks on something a little handier to use.

Good luck.

• Members

GFS has good soldering irons, etc. I've been using their $20, 30 watt Xytronic soldering iron for a few years now. I also use GFS's tips and solder.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Soldering-Irons-and-Accessories_c_15.html

And be sure to get rosin core solder flux. GFS doesn't sell that, tho. I get mine at Electronix.com

http://www.electronix.com/

• Members

... getting enough heat into the back of a pot to melt solder on it takes awhile. I've never burnt a pot out or anything, but it's frustrating. Especially since it seems like the grounds on the pots are always the tightest connections, in that they want to pull off, and unless you possess 3 hands, it's tough to hold an iron, solder, and wires all at the same time...

^^^ Definitely that.

Doing the pots has been the most difficult thing, and its the only time I've used the higher heat setting on my iron. Just one of the wonderful things you'll pick up as you figure out how to do this.

But it's a pretty cool feeling, and very useful, to know you can do that kind of work on a guitar whenever you want.

Archived