Older Peavey guitars?

jrcorp

• Members

I've been looking for a cheap Strat-style guitar, and it seems like nothing made in the last 10-20 years or with any brand respect will fit into my budget (really low). I had seen some mention of a US-made Peavey S-style model, but didn't pay much attention.

Tonight I came across a Patriot for sale on CL for $100, and thought it may be worth buying to flip it. To my surprise, that's a pretty reasonable price going by completed eBay listings. So I've been looking around at used MIA Peaveys from the 80's, and I'm impressed and somewhat amazed at what at least seems like great quality for the price.

I recently sold a TNT 130 as it was too big and heavy, but I couldn't complain about its sound. I love that Peavey keeps a good archive of owner's manuals, which I've used a lot in looking into used gear. It looks like if I shopped around a bit, I could probably come across a quality US-made guitar for about $100 or less to fit almost whatever I could use. It looks to me like a Predator would suit me right now, as I have SD pickups to drop in.

What do you guys think of the older Peavey stuff? I don't really understand how anything "vintage" made in the US could go for such little money. Is there a real lack of quality in the hardware, electronics...? Not sure how I could go wrong if I look around enough.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I picked up a used Predator off of CL a few years back. I upgraded the tuners and converted it to a single bridge humbucker and will eventually put a Wilkinson steel block trem in it. It is a heavy guitar though.

IMG_4478.jpg

If you are wanting a cheap strat style guitar to upgrade, I don't think you can beat the Jay Tursers. GC has been carrying them as blems for $99.

IMG_5793.jpg

• Members

I picked up a used Predator off of CL a few years back. I upgraded the tuners and converted it to a single bridge humbucker and will eventually put a Wilkinson steel block trem in it. It is a heavy guitar though.

If you are wanting a cheap strat style guitar to upgrade, I don't think you can beat the Jay Tursers. GC has been carrying them as blems for $99.

Thanks for the tip, but do the hardware and materials compare? I had figured that Strat replacement parts wouldn't drop in the Peaveys without some work, but is it easier on Jay Tursers? I hate to say it, but I think I'm still being kind of stubborn on avoiding brands that I perceive as cheap or inferior.

• Members

Thanks for the tip, but do the hardware and materials compare? I had figured that Strat replacement parts wouldn't drop in the Peaveys without some work, but is it easier on Jay Tursers? I hate to say it, but I think I'm still being kind of stubborn on avoiding brands that I perceive as cheap or inferior.

The Wilkinson Vintage style split safety post tuners dropped right in the Peavey. I'm going to get a set for the Turser as well. The Turser already had similar tuners, but when I changed strings I noticed the holes in the shaft were not quite deep enough to properly grab the string. I will be ordering a set of Wilkinsons for this one as well. I didn't change the pickguard on the Turser, so I don't know if a Fender replacement will fit or not. I know I had to get one custom cut for my Turser Tele. Fender pickguards will fit on a Predator with no problem.

• Members

I've been looking for a cheap Strat-style guitar, and it seems like nothing made in the last 10-20 years or with any brand respect will fit into my budget (really low). I had seen some mention of a US-made Peavey S-style model, but didn't pay much attention.

Tonight I came across a Patriot for sale on CL for $100, and thought it may be worth buying to flip it. To my surprise, that's a pretty reasonable price going by completed eBay listings. So I've been looking around at used MIA Peaveys from the 80's, and I'm impressed and somewhat amazed at what at least seems like great quality for the price.

I recently sold a TNT 130 as it was too big and heavy, but I couldn't complain about its sound. I love that Peavey keeps a good archive of owner's manuals, which I've used a lot in looking into used gear. It looks like if I shopped around a bit, I could probably come across a quality US-made guitar for about $100 or less to fit almost whatever I could use. It looks to me like a Predator would suit me right now, as I have SD pickups to drop in.

What do you guys think of the older Peavey stuff? I don't really understand how anything "vintage" made in the US could go for such little money.
Is there a real lack of quality in the hardware, electronics...?
Not sure how I could go wrong if I look around enough.

Pickups good.

Tuners not good.

On the bright side, since the tuners are so horrible, there is a good chance whoever you buy it from, replaced them.

• Members

Nice collection of Peaveys there, and I see that you're playing the T-80 in your avatar. Just wondering, but I assume they all have maple fretboards?

I'm not going to actively search for one to buy and have shipped out, I'll probably just wait and see if one comes around instead. Ideally, I'd like to have one that I know is US-made. Are vintage-style tuners the only ones that will fit? The only experience I've had with vintage tuners were with a RI '69 Thinline, which was a little frustrating to string up. But I'm open to the idea, probably just takes practice.

• Members

Nice collection of Peaveys there, and I see that you're playing the T-60 in your avatar. Just wondering, but I assume they all have maple fretboards?

I'm not going to actively search for one to buy and have shipped out, I'll probably just wait and see if one comes around instead. Ideally, I'd like to have one that I know is US-made. Are vintage-style tuners the only ones that will fit? The only experience I've had with vintage tuners were with a RI '69 Thinline, which was a little frustrating to string up. But I'm open to the idea, probably just takes practice.

Dunno about the tuner sitch as it's something I've never addressed. I can't recall seeing a Predator with a RW board, though the T-60's did come with RW as an option, though maple is far more predominate.

• Members

the Peavey Odyssey from around 89-92 is as good as anything made by PRS, Gibson, Hamer, etc. I have 4 of them.

Seems like an awesome guitar, just not what I'm looking for at the moment. I've had a few HH-type guitars, and now a Tele that I enjoy, so a Strat is one of the few basic pickup combos I haven't tried much or owned yet. The Odysseys also seem a bit less common and more expensive, going by eBay and other used listings.

• Members
Seems like an awesome guitar, just not what I'm looking for at the moment. I've had a few HH-type guitars, and now a Tele that I enjoy, so a Strat is one of the few basic pickup combos I haven't tried much or owned yet. The Odysseys also seem a bit less common and more expensive, going by eBay and other used listings.

yep, $400-500 is normal price for them. The single coil split sounds are pretty good though.

• Members

Nice collection of Peaveys there, and I see that you're playing the T-80 in your avatar. Just wondering, but I assume they all have maple fretboards?

I had to redrill to put in Schaller locking tuners.

As far as knowing it's USA made...

All Peavey Predators are US made.

There is such a thing as a Predator Plus. Those were not made in USA.

Every Predator is 3 single coils, every Predator Plus has a HB in bridge. Only way you could end up with a non USA with 3 single coils is if somebody changed the pick guard.

• Members

Just ordered a Predator from a GC in Mass for $99.50 total. Kind of nervous as I did it over the phone and haven't dealt with them shipping or anything, but I figure for less than $100 total I did okay.

Yeah, that's a decent deal. I paid a Benjamin for mine on fleabay (plus shipping), a few years ago. So you did better than I. Mine had 1 bad pot (just spun around) that the seller didn't disclose, but he made it right. There's not that many things that can be wrong with them. Makes me glad I don't play synthesizer or something, haha.

Break a leg with your purchase and do a NGD thread when you get it!

• Members

Yeah, that's a decent deal. I paid a Benjamin for mine on fleabay (plus shipping), a few years ago. So you did better than I. Mine had 1 bad pot (just spun around) that the seller didn't disclose, but he made it right. There's not that many things that can be wrong with them. Makes me glad I don't play synthesizer or something, haha.

Break a leg with your purchase and do a NGD thread when you get it!

I tried to question the associate about wear, damage, condition, etc. before I dove in. There's a knob missing, some mystery stuff stuck on the back, and there's the normal wear on the body edges. That's no sweat to me, though. Chances are that I'll be swapping out the electronics within a month or two when I get the time and money.

I've never done a new anything thread, but I was thinking about that already. I'll have to clean it up nice, restring and set it up to the best of my abilities, and get out the camera. Wish I were more familiar with my recording setup, but I think I would end up embarrassed somehow.

• Members

I've also got a Peavey Foundation. I think it's a great bass, and it sees the stage if I need to play ( I rarely take the Mockingbird out to play shows with, it's mint and worth more than my car.) I'd like to get a white Dyna bass if I can find one. Old peaveys are great value.

• Members

I've never done a new anything thread, but I was thinking about that already. I'll have to clean it up nice, restring and set it up to the best of my abilities, and get out the camera. Wish I were more familiar with my recording setup, but I think I would end up embarrassed somehow.

Viddy isn't super necessary anyhow. I've done lotsa ngd threads, never included it. Honestly I don't know how people have time to. It's nice if it's there but I consider it a bonus.

Plus, I long ago got over being embarrassed about my playing. It is what it is. ;)

Looking forward to your pics!

Archived