Ever get Bored with guitar?

steve_man

• Members

I felt pretty much the same at 12 years in. I could play my songs, and I thought they were cool, but I wasn't really confedent in my palying. I then took the aproch that whenever I felt stuck, or board, that I would focuse on learning something new. As soon as I would learn some new chords, or a little bit more about how the neck worked I would find myself back in the zone where I had lots of new doors opening up.

I recommend the books Chord Chemistry and The Advancing Guitarist to open up some doors. Both great books that will give you years of info to chew on.

Another thing that was a huge help to me was Paul Gilbert's Intense rock volume one and two. Guys might think that it's only shredder stuff, but really that info can be used by any guitarist. It's a thorough course on how the fretboard works and some great playing approach tips. It's up to you to apply that info, but you can take it and really expand your ability to create chords and leads.

One last thing that I really enjoy having is a looping pedal. It forced me to create 30 second chord loops that I could then do leads over. This did amazing things for my lead abilities and song creation. I use the Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man, but there are several good choices out there.

Chord-Chemistry

The Advancing Guitarist

Paul Gilbert's Intense rock volume one and two,

Electro-Harmonix-Stereo-Memory-Man looper

Definately trying to get over the that hump! Which is probably why I started posting at HC again.

I'll check some of that stuff out, thanks!

• Members

Nope. Having thousands of musicians within a mile radius to jam with certainly helps but I don't know, the last time I temporarily lost interest in playing guitar had to be five or so years ago. As long as you're always learning or not learning (whatever you feel like) to your hearts content you should have fun.

• Members

I wouldn't say I get bored, exactly, but I do go through periods where my other interests (drums, electronic music, video games, science fiction, tabletop roleplaying games, and various other forms of geekery) seem more, um, interesting, so I'll go do those for a while instead.

• Members

Do you prefer your guitar to sex?

I mean, when your significant other comes down the stairs late at night wearing a fishnet catsuit and high heels, do you say, 'sorry love, just need to practice this phrygian scale a few more times - be up in about half an hour or so, don't wait up.'

?

• Members
I know that there are times...which come along every few months...where I just get kinda bored with my guitar playing. Not enough to give it up or anything...just to where it's not something I focus on as much for a bit... Nothing wrong with my gear, still get to play at church every week...just not that "into" playing on my own at times...

surely I'm not alone in this....
:idk:

Maybe you should try some newer tunings.

• Members

I don't really get bored, but sometimes its hard for me to just pick up a guitar and play. I don't want to force myself because it will becomes like a chore then. I always have tons of fun when I do pick up the guitar though. A big thing that has helped is focusing on making music, no matter what I'm playing or practicing I try to make it musical rather than just a robotic exercise.

• Members

I play a fair amount with worship teams at church, and since most of the songs tend to be in the same major keys (mostly G, depending on the singer), I sometimes find it to be a challenge to do anything fresh to my ear when it comes time to do any solos, which I usually just improvise. I'm finding ways to make my rhythm playing more interesting to me, so that's fine, but finding something else to do in Gmaj is a bit of a struggle. Sometimes I'll watch bits of Frank Gambale instructional videos, and he surely knows all the modes up and down, but I never get an idea of how to use any of that stuff in my world.

• Members

I've had the same core interests (guitar, cars, golf, fishing) for the last 35 years - and each one has taken a turn in the number one, "obsession", slot. Playing guitar re-took the top spot a couple of years ago, driven partially by our kids soaking up most of my free time and $ (love 'em, though!). I can't often make time to participate in any of my other interests, but can always pick a little after everybody else in the house goes to bed.

• Members

No.

What I try to do is always have some lesson/material that is out of my league that I'm working on. Study more theory, and apply it to my playing, that sort of thing. Keeps things fresh, and generates some new ideas and directions.

I do understand where you're coming from, btw.

This is exactly what I do. If you play guitar long enough, you are bound to find yourself bored and/or dissatisfied with the instrument or your playing. Focusing on exploring the instrument and developing a greater understanding of how it works certainly helps reinvigorate one's playing.

• Members

After 30 years of playing anywhere for an hour a day up to 12+ hours depending on the decade, and studying various genres and techniques, I wasn't bored with it until I started to play the piano: lately I struggle to want to pick up a guitar and play for more than 20 minutes without becoming bored with playing, and more importantly, bored with listening to myself play. Over the past year I have been playing less and less and have come to the conclusion, it is time to move on.

It is going to be a serious bitch to sell all the gear I have a accumulated but digital pianos aren't cheap and it is silly to 15+ guitars, multiple amps and way too many pedals if I am playing less than an hour a week. It will be freeing experience (both financially and space-wise) to unload it all.

• Members

When I get bored with guitar I do other stuff. Spring is getting close so it time to start my garden and pull out my motorcycle. Man, I love riding my motorcycle, as much as I love guitar. I may not touch a guitar for several months if the weather is right and I don't have a problem with it. I mean, I love life, not just the guitar. At the end of gardening and riding season, when I'm stuck inside, then I'm all over the guiar almost every day having a lot of fun year round.

Archived