Warmoth Pro Construction Necks.. anyone using them?

kit_strong

• Members

So I've got my body all picked out and am now trying to decide between normal 25.5" or a 24.75" conversion neck. The problem is that the conversion necks are only available with Warmoth Pro construction. Does the heavier truss rod really make that big an impact on tone? And if so in what ways?

-Kit

• Members

I put one on my Fender Strat.

Compare with the stock maple/maple neck, my maple/maple Warmoth pro neck sounded exactly {censored}in' the same. Seriously, a couple extra grams in the neck isn't gonna change tone enough to be noticeable.

• Members

It would be hard to really sort out exactly what effect it has on tone. I have one on a top routed (no pickguard) strat that I build. What I can say for sure is that they do a pretty poor job on installing the nut. Mine was sky high and needed to be filed down. Another minis is that the frets showed up needing to be leveled. Theses are things that are not unheard of when buying a new neck, but you should be aware that you have more costs involved then just the neck itself when pricing it out.

Over all I get the impression that the truss rod gives a more solid tone, again, hard to quantify, but it seems to me that the sound is more dense, less open.

• Members

It would be hard to really sort out exactly what effect it has on tone. I have one on a top routed (no pickguard) strat that I build. What I can say for sure is that they do a pretty poor job on installing the nut. Mine was sky high and needed to be filed down. Another minis is that the frets showed up needing to be leveled. Theses are things that are not unheard of when buying a new neck, but you should be aware that you have more costs involved then just the neck itself when pricing it out.

Over all I get the impression that the truss rod gives a more solid tone, again, hard to quantify, but it seems to me that the sound is more dense, less open.

Yeah, I know that a fret level may or may not be required. I have a friend that ordered a couple that showed up fine but have definitely heard tales of them showing up in need of a fret level.

• Members

I'd say they affect the tone about 10%. Sounds a bit more focussed or clinical to me. I wouldn't say sterile but just subtley direct, if that makes any sense.

I second the notion of not letting warmoth install your nut, mine was sky high too. Great necks though, didn't need fret work or anything and you can feel the quality.

USACG makes 25inch conversion necks and I bloody love mine. I filed/sanded my headstock just a tad to make exactly like a strat, took 20 minutes. (he puts a tiny lip on the circular bit to avoid copyright).

• Members

I bought a Warmoth Pro neck and hated the tone. It made the guitar sound bright and sterile. I would agree with billybilly's assessment of focused and clinical as well. After getting the neck and assembling my guitar, I only played it for a few hours before disassembling it and parting it out via eBay.

Warmoth Pro? Never again.

Warmoth Vintage Modern? I'd be happy to give it a try.

Bottom line? My Warmoth neck construction, quality, feel, and fretwork were amazing. The tone wasn't.

• Members

I have a Warmoth Pro on my #1 Strat and I love it. Woke that guitar right up. I don't hear that big a difference in tone but then again, I have the SRV carve which is fairly fat (.835" at the nut). I've bought 4 Warmoth necks and they've all been great.

• Members

Hmmm. . says its twice the weight of vintage rod. So it really changes the tone that much?? I have a Vintage Modern with the 59 roundback and SS frets that I love! Completely transformed my guitar after replacing the skinny Mighty Mite. I ordered mine without a nut, the frets were leveled fine. The Might Mite was unplayable without a $60 fret job. So in the end theyre not such great bargains.

• Members

Hmmm. . says its twice the weight of vintage rod. So it really changes the tone that much?? I have a Vintage Modern with the 59 roundback and SS frets that I love! Completely transformed my guitar after replacing the skinny Mighty Mite. I ordered mine without a nut, the frets were leveled fine. The Might Mite was unplayable without a $60 fret job. So in the end theyre not such great bargains.

My Pro was also the 59 round back profile. I thought it sounded really nasally, for lack of a better term.

• Members

I have 2

An old one without the side adjust and 1 with.

My take is they have great construction and materials. They can't however , control aether the wood is dead or resonant.

Nor can they tell how it will interact with your body.

If it doesn't work, it didn't mean they are junk.

Fyi, one of my necks sounds great on either body. The other only on works on 1 body the other is dead.

both bodies are warmoth FWIW.

Archived