Got a DRRI

wagdog

• Members

Been wanting a DRRI for some time. Would love to get a real '65, but don't see that happening.

Great amp, love the response of the rectifier tube - takes some getting used to but you can actually play into the sag. The bloom of the notes is great. Reverb is nice as well. This one is a couple years old, near as I can tell. Stock everything, including tubes - had very little use.

Here's a quick clip, playing a baja tele on the neck pickup. Quality of the video is awful, not sure if it's the lighting or what - audio came out ok. Anyway;

[video=youtube;gbzEzuVC9l0]

• Members

Congrats!
:thu:
I had a DRRI for a while. Not a bad sounding amp and pretty good deals can be had on the used market.

I have to say that it's definitely its own thing (whatever that means!). I guess I'm saying that it definitely has it's own tone to it and you have to play into that tone to really get the most of it. It's very touch sensitive, which I like. I think the tube rectifier really adds to the vibe of the amp.

And it's a lot lighter then my twin. I've got a couple of gigs coming up and will be using it for them.

• Members

I loved having my DRRI. They are fantastic amps.

Just a couple little things I would do: change the stock tubes. If you think it sounds good now, you'll be blown away with better preamp tubes.

And clip that bright cap! Then you can use pedals on the reverb channel & it'll play nice....I always advocate clipping the bright cap on DRRIs

• Members

Very nice, WD. :thu:

I bought Doc Morbius's DRRI, tried a few speakers in it and it was my main amp for a year... maybe two. Time gets jumbled, ya know.

I traded it to forum member for a different Fender amp... it's all good. And sold my big Twin II.

Bottom line, yeah, it's a cool amp. Some folks like the huge headroom and bottom end or a Twin with proper speakers, some like the near instant crunch of a Tweed Deluxe. I like both of those but between the tree, I'd go with a Deluxe Reverb if I could only have one.

I've been Fender less for a couple years now and I'm chomping at the bit to get something like a Princeton/Deluxe Hybrid. Most likely an Allen Accomplice.

• Members

Very nice, WD.
:thu:

I bought Doc Morbius's DRRI, tried a few speakers in it and it was my main amp for a year... maybe two. Time gets jumbled, ya know.

I traded it to forum member for a different Fender amp... it's all good. And sold my big Twin II.

Bottom line, yeah, it's a cool amp. Some folks like the huge headroom and bottom end or a Twin with proper speakers, some like the near instant crunch of a Tweed Deluxe. I like both of those but between the tree, I'd go with a Deluxe Reverb if I could only have one.

I've been Fender less for a couple years now and I'm chomping at the bit to get something like a Princeton/Deluxe Hybrid. Most likely an Allen Accomplice.

Sold the Twin II? :cry: In a perfect world, I'd have one of those, among all the other fender amps I'd like to own.

The princeton is another amp I really, really like.

Still got my twin, and bouncing back and forth, I can't really say which I like better. Love the twins bottom end and glassiness, but this amp sounds sooooo sweet and toneful. Played it today with my partner that I do a duet gig with and it really sang.

• Members

Thanks guys!

Thanks man. Really digging it. Did a little tube swapping today and I have to say, it sounds even sweeter.

Thanks man. I thought so to the first time I played one. Really dig the swell and sag of the rectifier.

Agreed!

Sold the Twin II?
:cry:
In a perfect world, I'd have one of those, among all the other fender amps I'd like to own.

The princeton is another amp I really, really like.

Still got my twin, and bouncing back and forth, I can't really say which I like better. Love the twins bottom end and glassiness, but this amp sounds sooooo sweet and toneful. Played it today with my partner that I do a duet gig with and it really sang.

Yup, sold my Twin II, Super Sonic 60W, Tweed Deluxe, AC15H1TV and AC15CC1 and hope to get one of the aforementioned Allen Accomplices and something quality and Voxy like a Morgan AC20 Deluxe.

Going to try to ditch about 5 guitars this year as well and am looking to get a semi custom strat built up and a big jazz box.

The only think better than downsizing or upgrading is downsizing AND upgrading. :lol:

• Members

Yup, sold my Twin II, Super Sonic 60W, Tweed Deluxe, AC15H1TV and AC15CC1 and hope to get one of the aforementioned Allen Accomplices and something quality and Voxy like a Morgan AC20 Deluxe.

Going to try to ditch about 5 guitars this year as well and am looking to get a semi custom strat built up and a big jazz box.

The only think better than downsizing or upgrading is downsizing AND upgrading.
:lol:

Those allen amps look like great amps.

There is a lot to be said for downsizing ones gear. I think I might have mentioned that for the longest time (like 20 years) I managed to get along fine with my les paul a cord and marshall amp!

• Members

Great amp, love the response of the rectifier tube - takes some getting used to but you can actually play into the sag.

Very nice amp. Congratulations!

I'm not sure what you mean by "playing into the sag", however. Nor what you mean by the "response of the rectifier tube". Unless you're really pounding on your amp (ie driving it really hard to the point that the rectifier can't provide enough juice to the power tubes), I don't believe you'll ever notice that it's a tube vs. diode. I think this is one of those areas of mythology that there is a lot of talk about on the interwebs without a lot of understanding.

If you're playing your DRRI clean, you'll never experience sag because you're not overloading the rectifier. I have a low powered, vintage (1956) amp that I use primarily for my harp gigs, and it's pretty easy to overload the rectifier in that situation with a hot mic into a low powered amp, but with guitars, it's not quite as easy in my experience.

All that doesn't change the fact that you have a pretty sweet little amp there.....

Cheers,